Bellazon

Iron Man (2008)

Hyperion

IRON MAN May 2, 2008

post-13865-0-1446075265-39644_thumb.jpg

Writers: Arthur Marcum, Matt Holloway, Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby

Director: Jon Favreau

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeff Bridges, Shaun Toub, Leslie Bibb, Bill Smitrovich, Nazanin Boniadi

Summary: Based upon Marvel's iconic Super Hero, "Iron Man" tells the story of Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to America, Tony must come to terms with his past. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.

I really like this cast. I think there is a consensus that X-Men and Spider-man are the only good movies made by Marvel (although I really enjoyed the recent Fantastic Four movie). Well, I think that this movie could join the club.

Robert Downey Jr is a very talented actor (although he is older than most superhero actors). Iron Man is known to be an alcoholic. Downey has been to rehab for drugs or something so he should at least "get" the motivation.

Gwenyth Paltrow's character is pretty much the basic love interest/secretary role so I don't think her casting is very crucial to this film. But she does have notoriety which is never bad (unless you hate her).

Terrence Howard seems to be a good actor as he was nominated for the Oscar for Hustle and Flow. His character will also be of the supporting variety but he has a good role to work with.

Jeff Bridges has great versatility and he is a villain (not THE villain). I don't think he has ever really been the villain before. Oh and he doesn't have hair anymore for this role.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was from Comicon when they introduced the "original" armor. This was what Iron Man wore in the 1960s. It should only have a brief spot in the film before he gets to the red and gold. Nothing really special but it is what it is.

• 5 weeks later...

Iron Man director Jon Favreau has announced on his official MySpace page that the movie's teaser trailer will be broadcast on September 10th and available online the following day:

For those of you who have been Jonesing to see the Comic Con footage, we now an official teaser trailer that incorporates much of the same imagery. Paramount is debuting the piece in its entirety across the Viacom Network's highest rated programs. The first appearance will be immediately before the Hills on MTV on 9/10. I've listed the schedule of other slots that Paramount marketing has sent me below.

A hi-res version will appear on Apple.com/trailers on 9/11 for those of you who, for whatever reason, choose not to TiVo The Hills.

Comedy Central: The Daily Show 10-Sep

MTV: The Hills 10-Sep (the break leading into the show)

Spike TV : CSI 11-Sep

VH1: The Rock Life 10-Sep

BET: Baldwin Hills 11-Sep

CMT : Trick My Truck 10-Sep

Logo : Rick & Steve 11-Sep

MTV2: Room 401 10-Sep

NAN : Fresh Prince 10-Sep

The N: Fresh Prince 11-Sep

TV Land: Andy Griffith 11-Sep

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ahhh Yes here is my favorite movie . The Iron Man. The story based on the man who is super genius and help US army to making new things. I watched this twice. Now I heard that the iron man game also come out after the popularity of this movie.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 years later...

After pondering a revisit of all the MCU properties in the run-up to Infinity War, I decided to give Iron Man '08 a watch for the first time in years. I was actually a bit surprised at how well it holds up. Still one of the best Marvel movies to date.

3 hours ago, Michael* said:

After pondering a revisit of all the MCU properties in the run-up to Infinity War, I decided to give Iron Man '08 a watch for the first time in years. I was actually a bit surprised at how well it holds up. Still one of the best Marvel movies to date.

Definitely still holds up, and it's the movie the franchise was built on. The financial success was important, but the fact that it was a good movie validated the entire enterprise from the start.

1 hour ago, jkjk said:

Definitely still holds up, and it's the movie the franchise was built on. The financial success was important, but the fact that it was a good movie validated the entire enterprise from the start.

It's strange to think now that Iron Man was never really considered a major player in the Marvel stable before this movie's release. Whoever decided to cast Downey as Tony Stark deserves a medal, it was an inspired choice right from the start and so key in elevating the property to where it is now.

Also, Jeff Bridges is simply fantastic as the villain of the piece. I'm a bit sad now that they killed Obadiah Stane off, because I wouldn't have minded seeing more of the character.