Bellazon

100 Greatest Movies of All Time

mylovelyangel

No Terrence Malick, no Robert Altman, ...

:| M*A*S*H (#54) and Nashville (#59) both made the list. And Terrence Malick has only made four films.

Sorry, missed that. Was posting a bit on auto-pilot after reading through that list.

And I don't see why the fact that Malick only having released five movies should exclude him from this list. At least two of those (Days of Heaven and Badlands) are as good or better than half of the movies that did make the list.

I'm not doubting the quality of Malick's films; I'm just saying I won't find it surprising if a less prolific, not widely-known filmmaker gets overlooked in the voters' mad rush to figure out how many Spielberg films should go in the list. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

:laugh: toy story's up there in the 100 greatest movie of ALL TIME lol its a great movie and all and i love it to bits but to be in the top 100 of all time.... genius. why isnt finding nemo up there?

oh look and clockwork orange is up there too i love that movie its more like a piece of art rather than a movie.

Eek... What an awful list. There's a lot of good choices on that list but it looks like the rest of it was just there to fill in space especially near the middle, others should be higher or lower.

Like Goodfellas... That is a very influencial movie that almost all movies today take some sort of inspiration from... either the content or the cinematography... the latter probably more.

Ben-Hur... How many movies go after the same theme today? A lot.... Gladiator, 300, Alexander the Great, Kingdom of Heaven, Troy... the list goes on

Goodfellas, Ben-Hur, Shawshank Redemption, Jaws, Forrest Gump, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Titanic... should all be at least in the top 30.

Plus... where is Spider-Man? Return of the Jedi? Picnic? Full Metal Jacket?

Even of Chanatown is #21 and 2001: Space Oddesy is #15, the list could definately use more Polanski and Kubrick

Citizen Kane is way overrated imho. It deserves to be in the top 100 of all time, but the top ten? Or the n° one spot, as it seems to get in a lot of these lists?

And if we want to talk overrated, Shawshank redemption anyone? :blink: I mean, it's not a bad movie, but the second highest rated movie on IMDB? Puh-leaaaase!

Citizen Kane shouldn't be classed as overrated. If anything, the film seems to get nitpicked at all the time because of lists such as this. The significance and longevity of Kane can hardly be stressed enough and as a stand alone film, it is damn fine. For it's influence alone it should quite clearly be in the top ten. Is it the "best" film of all-time? What does that even mean? Its great, its Orson Welles and cinema would be a lot poorer without it.

^ I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia. :p The only thing that puts me off of Citizen Kane is that Welles got his only Oscar by giving himself a credit for the screenplay when all he did was add things here and there, at best. It was a low move.

But I love Shawshank Redemption! I think it's one of those rare films that gets everything right, even if it isn't exactly worthy of being #2 on IMDb, but that site is packed with morons anyway. :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
The list is from 2006, I believe. They update it every ten years.

i think too because Titanic by James Cameron, Stars War by George Lucas and Lord Of The Ring by Peter Jackson (same thing for King Kong if it's the one by PJ too) didn't existed in 1996... :whistle: but all these movies are "remakes" and there isn't the directors' names... :ninja:

more, a movie is not good because A the production spend a fortune into the movie and B because it was a blockbuster in the theatres...

talent didn't come from the money or the public... be loved by a majority is rarely a good sign!

when you divide opinion, you have one chance in two to be loved by fools... but when everybody love you, you can't avoid them. and when you're loved by fools, this is never good...!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...