Bellazon

Venus Williams
Thumbnail

coluchka

b0831105venus1lt0id0.jpg

V. WILLIAMS/A. Bondarenko

6‑1, 6‑2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Talk about the match. Almost everything was going well, except for the serve, right?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I definitely would like to have a higher first‑serve percentage. But it's not something that I'm worried about. I still feel like I can get my serve in. My second serve nowadays has a lot of kick. Definitely bouncing really high. So it was a good day.

Q. And the return game was real strong. You were stepping in pretty well, taking control of the serves.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, I mean, it's just coming. I know I'm going to go for it. But a lot of times I'm just hitting it and it comes. So it's nice that it comes naturally.

Q. The way you're playing, you're so calm and relaxed, not having a lot of trouble out there, it's kind of a contrast to your sister. I don't know what you notice when you watch her play. Is that because your personalities are kind of that way or because of where you are right now in this summer of tennis?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I got to see some of the second set of her match. I was getting ready. I was thinking, oh, I shouldn't watch this so I don't get tight for my own match. It was kind of a back and forth of "should I?" or "shouldn't I?" She's obviously is an unbelievable competitor. When push comes to shove, she shoves (smiling). I'm not too worried about whether or not she's going to make it. As for me, I just feel like I win all the important points and that really makes a big difference in obviously how my opponent feels playing against me, how I feel obviously about the match, too.

Q. When you are this calm and playing this well, is there sort of a cracking point that when you get into a tight match, How do I handle it now?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I definitely think I've played a lot this summer and definitely been in some tight moments ‑ not only at Wimbledon but also Fed Cup. I definitely feel like I have those moments under my belt. I don't need to necessarily experience something yet again to learn. So it's all good.

Q. Looked like you came out swinging, let it go all night.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, definitely told myself I can play, I know what I'm doing, to go out there and execute. That's pretty much my game plan.

Q. When was the last time you felt this good about your game in the first week of a Grand Slam?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Let's see. I mean, at Wimbledon I felt I guess more than anything just determined. A lot of times I didn't feel like I was perfect, but I felt really good. The French Open wasn't a good time for me. I wasn't very healthy. I don't know. Then after that I missed Slams. So this definitely is nice.

Q. So it's been a while?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, to be honest, I always feel like I can do it. I always feel confident, like I go into every tournament going for the win. So on that level mentally I always feel confident.

Q. Ivanovic is looking forward to this match because she feels like her game is rising all the time. Give your assessment.

VENUS WILLIAMS: She's definitely a good player, great competitor, and a nice person. It's good to see good things happening for her.

Q. She recalled a time I think at a junior tournament where she and a friend wanted to take a picture with you. Do you remember that?

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I wish I did. I wish I could. But there's a lot of people. I don't remember.

Q. I think it was Ancic's sister who had requested it. The two of them have this picture with you.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Wow. I'm glad I said yes. I can't say yes to everyone. I'm glad she doesn't have a memory of, Oh, that girl was mean. It's nice.

Q. Do you remember what you were like at 20?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, foolish. Didn't understand anything. I think it's the same now. Always learning. So, yeah.

Q. If she asked you with that picture in hand now to sign it, what would you say?

VENUS WILLIAMS: That's so sweet. That would be so sweet.

Q. What would your autograph say on the picture?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know. Something like, Many good times ahead. Something like that.

Q. Bartoli was talking about playing Serena, Ivanovic, what it would mean for them to beat you at the US Open.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Serena plays Bartoli?

Q. Yes. Can you relate to how big of a target you are, how big of a win you are for other players?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that definitely players, when they come to play against us, I think they know that they obviously have to play very well. And also on our end, we also know we need to play very well because all the players are also very, very good. But I think there's definitely a huge mental preparation going against Serena and I.

Q. Stature‑wise, you guys are so far up there for some of the players, to beat Serena or Venus at the US Open on Ashe is a big deal for them.

VENUS WILLIAMS: For sure. Yeah, it's a big deal.

Q. Do you feel right now it's great these young kids are coming up, Ana is telling us how she admires you, do you want to say, It's not their time, I'm still here? Do you feel that determined right now?

VENUS WILLIAMS: When I come to the tournament, I'm coming to win. I'm not necessarily thinking about the next player's chances or if it's their time or not. I am definitely focus inward on what I'm doing. Everyone gets their chance. You work hard, you get what you deserve, if that's a win or a good result.

Q. Both of you have tough draws. There is a potential for a semifinal.

VENUS WILLIAMS: We're a couple rounds away. I think as long as we keep playing well, stay determined, it can happen. That would be nice for us, for both of us, to get as far as we can, one of us to be in the final. It would be great.

322855561jt8bk4.jpg

V. WILLIAMS/A. Ivanovic

6-4, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions.

Q. Everyone knows how well she's been playing this year, was that kind of a statement match from you?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Statement match. I can't say that I'm not here to prove a point per se. I'm definitely out here to advance to the next round, to make my chances better, to get obviously to the title, which is the ultimate goal for every player. So no matter who I'm playing, I'm not out there to prove anything or, so I beat so and so. It's important for me to get to the next round.

Q. Are you back to where you were when your sister and you were dominating tennis in the finals here? One of the keys was getting healthy, and then did you ever lose that desire to get back there?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Never. I never lost the desire. Definitely had some tough losses. Even early this year trying get back and get healthy and find my game. But I think that always builds character and makes the wins a lot sweeter. So ultimately I love what I do. I love playing tennis and that's why I play, win, lose or draw. Well, never a draw, but win or lose.

Q. Are we jumping to conclusions matching the two Williams sisters in a couple of rounds?

VENUS WILLIAMS: That would be awesome because it would mean that there he is a Williams in the final, and it would mean that Americans have a chance to win. I think this whole couple weeks has been great for American tennis. Seeing the two guys play well was really exciting. Obviously Serena and I are in the draw, so it's just nice, and James and Andy. Just great.

Q. You kept really serving much better than her. You never allowed her to get really get into too many points.

VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I have to use my serve as a weapon, and obviously my first serve is a really weapon. So definitely I wanted to get my first serve percentage up today. It's just about being able to perform when it's most necessary, and obviously she's a very good player, really talented and I know that it'll do me a lot of good to get that first serve.

Q. It seemed like even off the ground you were rushing her. You made her uncomfortable on your serve.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think that she wanted to get the first hit against me. I don't think she wanted me to get my racquet on the ball. So I think that was a lot of pressure for her. Personally that's how I felt.

Q. Are you playing as well as you did the last couple of rounds of Wimbledon?

VENUS WILLIAMS: The funny part is that I never felt that I played well at Wimbledon. Finally, I looked at some films this week and I was like, Oh, I played very well. Finally the realization came that I did play well.

Q. You started so well in that first match and people were yelling at you.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. No match is a given. You got fight for each and every point no matter who the opponent is. I think all of us professionals understand that.

Q. A couple of years ago I asked your mom about the crowd, and she said that she was surprised that the crowds weren't behind you and Serena, and that now I asked her about it today and she said that it really turned around, and it was amazing how the crowds here really seemed to get behind you and your sister. How do you feel about that and have you noticed it?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I didn't hear anything today. I didn't hear any -- only people I could hear was maybe in my box, but other than that most of the time I don't hear. In a zone.

Q. How different do you approach this from Wimbledon? Because your game a somewhat similar. You've been coming in a lot, and hitting the ball pretty big, the way you would on grass. Is the surface similar so it makes it easier for you to play that or do you say, Hey I'm going to play like I did at Wimbledon, why not?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I definitely have the game where I'm hitting the set up shot that I should come in, so I have to obviously do the right thing and come in. I think the courts are playing slower, to be honest. I see a lot of long points now, a lot of people running down a lot of balls. So I don't think the courts are playing too fast as in previous years maybe.

Q. Even at Wimbledon?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Even at Wimbledon, yeah, I think they were definitely playing slower. But, you know, ultimately I'm going to -- anyone who wins a big tournament, is aggressive, take chances and execute. That's how it's done.

Q. You've always been a very composed person. You seem exceptionally calm right now, and through this tournament. Where is that coming from?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I don't know. A blessing from God, I guess. When I got on the court I just wanted to not rush, and just take my time, and just go ahead and do what I needed to do, tell myself to just go ahead and take care of the job, if that makes any sense. A lot of times in my head I just try to make it simpler and not let it get complicated, and just really enjoy hitting the ball.

Q. It's been some years since you won here. Do you remember the feeling you had on court then, and can you compare it at all to how you're feeling?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yes: Jubilee. Always so excited when I win. No one is more happy than me. So it was definitely very good. I always feel really fantastic winning here.

Q. I mean the tennis itself, how you're playing?

VENUS WILLIAMS: How I feel now?

Q. Yeah. The way you feel about your game.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I'm always looking to improve. Always, you know, just like I said, I never felt I was playing well at Wimbledon until I finally realized. So I'm trying not to be so hard on myself, and obviously notice the good things that I'm doing, and try not to be an overachiever type.

Q. Do you feel like you have anything left to prove in this game, and that everything that comes now is sort of gravy?

VENUS WILLIAMS: For me I've always tried to take my game to the next level, not just me but my dad. We always try to make new moves and play differently and bring new things to the game, so I definitely feel like there's a lot more that I can bring to the game in terms of my style play: Aggressive. Even the things like playing less aggressive and coming in on a slice, and coming in after a return, all kinds of things I still I can bring to the court, and that's exciting to me.

Q. Did you give your sister any advice on how to play Marion?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I sent her an e mail because I was asleep when she left the hotel. For sure, we always do that.

Q. Any specific tips?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I can't reveal that.

Q. Did she give you any advice against Ana?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I saw her before the match and, yeah, she gave me advice.

Q. How much freer do you feel right now without being burdened by injuries as far as running on the court. I mean, you're still dancing even after you win. You're on the balls of your feet. Describe what it feels like to run and hit shots that seem to be much freer.

VENUS WILLIAMS: I mean, it takes a lot of energy, like a lot of strength to move the way that I move, and that's something that I definitely realize coming back from my injury. I mean, I was at zero, super thin. Not that I'm huge now, I was like -- I had nothing and I realized, oh, my God. It takes so much strength to move like that. So coming back from that injury I realized how many blessings I have and just all the wonderful things that I was blessed with to be able to do and how hard I worked to get to there. Just starting from zero to get back to that was very challenging. It took a while. For me, moving and hitting freely and running fast is all hard work, but it's worth it.

Q. When Serena was in her first set, obviously very early match, they showed you out on the practice courts. Did you get to see the end of her match at all?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. I got to see the end of her match and she did really well.

Q. So you knew what was happening?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Oh, yeah. Sometimes I'm saying to myself, Okay, maybe you shouldn't watch the match so you don't get tight for your match. I'm always peeking. I can't help it. I always have to peek even if I tell myself I can't watch.

Q. Did you guys spend time together? When you're at a tournament like this together do you spend a lot of time away from the court? Do you eat meals together? Do you shop?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah, we shop together. Like we went shopping the first week. I just put on like jeans and a T shirt and I went to her room and she had on a dress. I quickly left and went to go change. It's like, she looks so good and I went and put a dress on. I started looking good too. We do the sister thing.

Q. How on earth can you go shopping in New York without attracting a mob?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Every day is a little different. Some days no one bothers you and other days when I'm walking the dog and like the other day the bus driver jumped out of the bus. Stopped the bus, jumped out, and was running. I was like -- that day like everybody was, you know, seeing me. Just depends sometimes.

Q. When you guys shop, is it one of you goes in and puts on something and the other one tells, do you like it or you don't? Is it like that, like going out with a girlfriend?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Yeah. We kind of compete, try to run through the store and compete to find the best outfit. If it doesn't fit the other then we switch. Sometime we try on something that's looks like we know the outfit is terrible and we try it on just for jokes. We come out looking horrible and we laugh and take pictures, so it's funny.

Q. You said before when you're out there you're in a zone and you really don't hear all the voices. But you do get a sense of how many people like to see you play and how much they want to see you win? How do you get that sense?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I think well, a lot of times, you know, if I'm hitting really good shots, like powerful shots or running down shots and doing things that are just, you know, really great, then I definitely feel like I'm entertaining the crowd and I feel like they're definitely into this like, Wow, I'm getting to see something. I'm being entertained. I do like that feeling.

Q. Where is your favorite place to shop? SoHo? Bloomingdale's? Madison Avenue?

VENUS WILLIAMS: I've really slowed down on my shopping for once in my life. We went out the other day and I bought a pair of shoes. Finally I don't need anything. Feels free.

Q. What are you and Serena most competitive about with each other? You guys are such great competitors. I would imagine the problem might not be tennis but something completely away from your career.

VENUS WILLIAMS: What are we most competitive of?

Q. I asked Serena who was faster and she wouldn't answer. If you want to that's great.

VENUS WILLIAMS: Who's faster? We move different. I'm tall. It's completely different how we move. I don't know. We don't really compete. We just try to help each other more or less.

Q. If you play Jankovic, I'm sure you want to show her that you're a lot better than you showed in the last time you played her.

VENUS WILLIAMS: She's a good competitor. She played well and deserved to win. I've definitely improved since then and gotten healthier. I feel a lot better and gotten stronger. It's a progression, and ultimately the best competitor will win and one of you won't.

Venus Williams beats Jankovic to reach U.S. Open semifinals; Henin next

NEW YORK -- So expressionless and serious-minded all night, Venus Williams waited to crack a smile until her victory was complete.

That's when she simply could not help but grin -- walking to the net for a handshake, waving to the loud crowd, speaking about reaching her first U.S. Open semifinal since 2002.

And, certainly, thinking about getting a crack at the player who eliminated her sister.

Way down Wednesday night, Williams turned her game on when she needed to and was stronger down the stretch, beating No. 3-seeded Jelena Jankovic 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (4) in the U.S. Open quarterfinals.

Next up is a semifinal against No. 1 Justine Henin. Know this: Venus Williams watched Henin beat Serena Williams on Tuesday and wants to right the wrong.

"I wasn't happy with that result at all. I was sad that she lost. I didn't like to see her so upset," Venus said. "I definitely have to try to win for Williams."

The other semifinal has 2004 Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova against No. 6 Anna Chakvetadze in a matchup between Russians who won in straight sets.

In one men's semifinal, it will be No. 1 Roger Federer against No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko. Federer improved his career mark against Andy Roddick to 14-1 by beating the fifth-seeded American 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4), 6-2, while Davydenko beat No. 10 Tommy Haas 6-3, 6-3, 6-4. The other two men's quarterfinals are Thursday.

Against Jankovic, the older Williams took a while to find the mark, falling behind by a set and a break. But by the end she was playing as well as she did en route to winning Wimbledon in July for her sixth Grand Slam title.

Jankovic made four bad mistakes to allow Williams to take control in the decisive tiebreaker.

"We had some long points, and I was the one making the errors. I maybe was a little bit excited," Jankovic said. "I thought that it will go in, but it didn't."

The 12th-seeded Williams ended it with a swinging forehand volley, an appropriate conclusion given that she made 55 trips to the net, winning 39 of those points. Jankovic was far less aggressive, pushing forward only six times.

Williams dictated play in general, finishing with a whopping 60-17 edge in winners, and after the last one, her face muscles finally relaxed with joy.

"I like to laugh after the match, especially if I won," she said. "I try to stay focused, in the zone."

Speaking to the spectators afterward, Jankovic said: "First of all, I want to say, 'Well done,' to Venus. She deserved to win. She was better at the end."

That was quite a different take on things from a disappointed loser than Serena Williams offered after her straight-set setback against Henin, including a reference to the Belgian's "lucky shots."

Now take that in, and consider Jankovic's explanation for why she applauded a couple of Venus Williams' top efforts and smiled in appreciation when she glanced at the speed readout and saw a 121 mph serve.

"When she hits a great shot, why not? You can say, 'Well done.' Nothing wrong with that," said Jankovic, who beat the older Williams at Wimbledon last year and at the French Open this year. "I cannot do anything when she hits an unbelievable serve. I cannot return it. So why not give her credit?"

Jankovic enjoyed nearly every moment out there, smiling while waiting to receive serves and laughing even when she shanked a ball off her ankle or, later, when she slipped to the ground and did a full splits on a key third-set point.

She broke in the very first game, capping it with a perfectly placed lob. That was the first of four lob winners that Jankovic curled like a rainbow over the 6-foot-1 Williams, including one so good it drew applause from the American's mom.

Jankovic broke again for a 4-1 edge by smacking a return winner off a 100 mph serve. Then, serving for the opening set at 5-4, Jankovic fell behind love-30 and easily could have folded, much as she did when she blew a huge lead against Henin in last year's Open semifinals.

But this time, she hung tough, taking four points in a row -- including ending one 19-stroke exchange with a backhand winner -- to grab the set. That drew loud chants of "Yell-eh-na!" from Serb supporters standing at the top of the upper deck.

The second set started with more of the same. Williams hit two double-faults -- she wound up with eight -- and wildly missed a swinging volley to set up another break point. Jankovic converted it with -- what else? -- a lob, then held up a fist.

And right there is where Williams flipped a switch, her game suddenly as bright as all of the flash bulbs popping around Arthur Ashe Stadium. She took seven of the next eight points, opening a six-game sweep through the end of the set.

The third set featured some brilliant shotmaking by both women, exactly the sort of display tournament organizers envisioned when they moved this match off Tuesday's schedule in hopes of adding some star power Wednesday.

That sure worked, and the enthralled fans showed their appreciation with a standing ovation before the tiebreaker. They repeated the gesture when the match ended.

"It went the distance," Williams said. "It was awesome."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Williams Receives Associate Degree in Fashion Design

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL, USA - She has taken part in plenty of awards ceremonies, mostly for her on-court achievements; this time one of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's biggest stars was honored on a completely different stage. On Thursday, December 13, Venus Williams attended her graduation at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, receiving her Associate's Degree in Fashion Design.

Exceptional tennis results aren't the only thing on the 27-year-old's resume. She has her own interior design company, V Starr Interiors, which specializes in residential design, and she recently launched EleVen, the largest fashion line launched by a female athlete. Now, after arduous studies that often went along with her on Tour, she polishes off another accolade.

"I love fashion and the idea that I'm using my design education to actually create clothing and footwear that reflects my personality and energy both on and off the court," Williams said after the ceremony.

"Venus' drive and focus is somewhere in the stratosphere," commented Andre West, chair of the Fashion programs at the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale. "She has taken the same drive she shows on the court all the way to the cutting table, sewing machine and computer. We've all given her as much effort as we could to follow her other dream - fashion - and she has given everything and more back to us by her dedication and flair. Not only having a great portfolio, but graduating college is a dream come true for Venus."

"Venus Williams is a woman of so many talents, both on and off the court, and her graduation from fashion school with honors is another example of this," said Larry Scott, the Chairman & CEO of the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. "Venus has demonstrated once again that she can excel in whatever she sets her mind to, and with her recently unveiled apparel line will no doubt continue to be a great success in this area in the years to come."

For more information on V Starr Interiors, visit www.vstarrinteriors.com. For more on EleVen, visit www.elevenbyvenus.com.

Williams had a phenomenal 2007 season on the court, undoubtedly highlighted by her sixth career Grand Slam singles title at Wimbledon. By season's end she was ranked among the world's Top 10 once again, finishing at No.8.

http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/1/newsr...?ContentID=1914