Bellazon

Evangeline Lilly
Thumbnail

Cantor

I guess two Jensen Ackels are better than one, huh? :laugh:

Now, to get back on topic:

Pfff, acting is easy. I could do it. Now looking pretty, like Brian said you either are lucky enough to be beautiful or you better know your way around reincarnation.

I guess two Jensen Ackels are better than one, huh? :laugh:
Now, to get back on topic:

Pfff, acting is easy. I could do it. Now looking pretty, like Brian said you either are lucky enough to be beautiful or you better know your way around reincarnation.

Haha, don't you know it :laugh:

As for acting, everyone who hasn't done it thinks it's easy. Everyone just thinks that if you can behave like a normal person, you can act it as well. Yet there are so many movies with bad acting in it. Which is then blamed on the actors, because they're either "stupid" or "talentless". But really, is it that easy?

Are you a good liar? Can you be whomever you want to be? Can you come across as confident when you're really not, appear calm when you're nervous, talkative when you're shy, etc? Can you appear to have falled head over heels for someone when you're not? Can you reign in your bubbly personality? And do it so convincingly people really believe what you represent? I doubt that. I don't know many people who can lie effectively, let alone change their gait, mannerisms, accent and behaviour to fit a wholly other type of person. And then there's the fact that whatever comes out of your mouth is limited to what is written on paper first.

Also, though beauty is a great asset in this business, that alone doesn't get you to the point people will know you and respect you as an actress/actor

Ok, I don't want the members here to have to listen to any more of this, we need to squash it. I'm sorry to offend anyone, but my comments have been seriously overblown. All I was saying about music was that a lot of singers look to capitalize on other's works. I also stated that I hope that wasn't the case here. It would be refreshing, because most older works are just over-produced to make a buck, and that's a cold and very un-artistic practice to me, as a musician myself. Most of the time the artist doesn't have much to do with it, if anything, it's her producers. The producers "suggest" what to sing, how to sing it, what to wear, what to say, etc., etc. I'm not dictating anything, or trying to tell you what to think, or what to like. Music is like any other art form...if you like it, it's good.

When I commented on Frenchkiki's statement about "amazing" posts, well, I just hate to waste my time when I see a new post by clicking on it and scrolling down to the bottom of the page just to see "amazing!". If you're talking about her makeup, or hair, or whatever..fine, just say it! But just "amazing" tells me absolutely nothing, except the general idea that you're commenting on her looks. (Or you're looking for the easiest way possible to add to your post count). I've always thought that but never mentioned it until I saw that someone else agreed, so I commented. (You know, the way you say we should be able to?). I'm not telling anyone what to do, I was just giving my opinion. So again, sorry if I offended anyone, (I do have a pretty big mouth), but never meant to anger anyone. :blush:

If it was not your intention to offend anyone, than I'm totally okay with any discussion... I just felt personally attacked (mostly by this statement:

"And Emma Frost, yes, you should wait for something valid to say. It would come off a lot better than you bitching and moaning incomprehensibly.")

But now that you stated that that wasn't your intention, we are all okay I guess. ^^

Now let's just go back to talking about Evangeline...

Now let's just go back to talking about Evangeline...

Hehe yeah, about that. Sorry in advance Evangeline fans for the off topic post.

*Off topic mode on

Haha, don't you know it :laugh:

As for acting, everyone who hasn't done it thinks it's easy. Everyone just thinks that if you can behave like a normal person, you can act it as well. Yet there are so many movies with bad acting in it. Which is then blamed on the actors, because they're either "stupid" or "talentless". But really, is it that easy?

Are you a good liar? Can you be whomever you want to be? Can you come across as confident when you're really not, appear calm when you're nervous, talkative when you're shy, etc? Can you appear to have falled head over heels for someone when you're not? Can you reign in your bubbly personality? And do it so convincingly people really believe what you represent? I doubt that. I don't know many people who can lie effectively, let alone change their gait, mannerisms, accent and behaviour to fit a wholly other type of person. And then there's the fact that whatever comes out of your mouth is limited to what is written on paper first.

Also, though beauty is a great asset in this business, that alone doesn't get you to the point people will know you and respect you as an actress/actor

I foresaw a post like this was coming. I'm not an actor so perhaps a different perspective might be more appropiate. I remember watching an interview with Robert Knepper who played a pedophilic murderer on the television series Prison Break. When asked how he played such a complex character he responded by saying something along the lines of "It's just acting, it's easy, anyone could do it." The interviewer response was that if anyone could do it most people would be actors. How true is that, though? People love actors, probably as much as I love watching boxing matches, but I don't want to be a boxer. Not how it works.

Regarding this whole 'being good at lying' thing. Take a good actor, say Anthony Hopkins. Is he a good liar? Or is he playing himself? Yeah, there is the ocassional Hannibal Lecter, but in many of his films he portrays a very similar character known as Anthony Hopkins. Watch The Elephant Man (1980) then sit through Meet Joe Black (1998). Notice a huge difference in his acting abilities? I don't. This is the same case with many talented actors such as Robert De Niro for instance, whose movies I happen to enjoy a lot. I can't speak for some of the more classic actors, but I'm sure they must have been better than what we have right now.

I pretty much given up watching new releases cause I feel I've seen most of what the movie industry can offer and it's not compelling enough for me.

I mantain my stance, acting is easy. In fact I don't consider it a real job, unless we're talking about theatre, live acting which takes skill. In most jobs if you screw up once it'll cost you. Not so much for movies. "Cut, cut ,cut. Random movie Take 21, Action!" I know a lot of movie actors have done theatre, but since them they move onto different, easier things.

I really don't think it is that much complicated than any other profession nor does it have any sort of competitive aspect, despite what the Academy Awards might led you to believe, and therefore not deserving of the ridiculous amount of attention people give actors.

Finally, if you think Evangeline's look had a minor or no impact at all on she getting a starring role on Lost. Well, you could be right. We'll never know for sure. But I think you know how I feel about the situation by now. And I do understand the point you're making, I just don't agree with you.

*Off topic mode off

Anyway, so I just read she's planning to quit acting. I didn't see it mentioned here. Apparently she will focus on writing and motherhood. Pretty bold decision, I wonder if she will stick to it.

@brianwp It's fine. I can be pretty rough around the edges too and my last post towards you wasn't quite an exhibition of my pretty colors ;) That's the problem with forums and such, statements on paper can appear much harder than they would have in reality. So if you're guilty of having a big mouth, I'm certainly guilty of acting on impulse.

I'll go back on topic soon, but I wanted to reply to Sergenius' post first. And I promise you all, that'll be the last of it.

[off topic mode]Maybe for some people it's easy. Just like some people are talented in sports. But not everyone has the potential to be a good boxer. And neither does everyone have what it makes to be a really good actor. I'm not comparing good acting to fame or blockbusters. Because then there are a lot of people who don't fit the bill. But take actors like Christian Bale for an instance. Most people know him as Batman or even from Terminator. He played a wholly different character in American Psycho and in The Machinist, it was hard to recognise him as the person we know him as. He has several other (lesser known) movie roles like that. Kristen Stewart, who we all know from Twilight, played someone entirely different in The Cake Eaters. Jaquin Phoenix played a despicable ruler in Gladiator and a nice brother in Signs. Etc. And let's not forget the supporting roles. These actors might not get the same attention as their prettier and more famous colleagues, but they have a big hand in making something work.

So all I'm saying is that though yes, the business is plagued by bad performances and loveless projects, the statement "acting is easy" doesn't apply to those who really try to be someone who is very different from who they themselves are. I don't think actors need more respect than other people doing their jobs, but I think that writing everything off in that business as "easy, I could do it" is a bit short sighted.

BUT you're probably right that Evangline's looks did help her a lot.

Okay, now before I bog down this entire thread with my rambling, time for some eyecandy:

evangeline-lilly-kate-on-lost13.jpg

evangeline-lilly-picture-4.jpg

evangeline-lilly-1024x768-21944.jpg

Oops, clicked on the wrong thread! :pinch: But I see every one is talking about acting, so...

I'm not an actor so perhaps a different perspective might be more appropiate.

As a former student filmmaker who has won local festival awards for directing and has taken acting classes, I'll offer my perspective, and my perspective is that anyone who says acting is easy doesn't have the faintest idea what he/she is talking about. It might look easy, but believe me, in auditions you have to go through fifty people before you find someone who can read "Hello, how are you?" off a page without sounding like an illiterate zombie. And that's without a camera in the room. Put them in front of a camera and most people can't even remember that line. Throw in the need for charisma and confidence and it's really no surprise there are so many bad actors out there: everyone else is even worse.

@Expresso

That comment is going to haunt me for life, huh? But that is how I feel about acting. You do make a valid point, though. With that said, I have seen some of the films you talk about and enjoyed those performances. I feel some of the credit goes to the people behind the cameras as well. Not just the people who write the scripts, but those who edit those wonderful scenes we all know and love to help the acting look so much more flawless than it really is.

Like you I don't mean to take this any further, you stated your argument and I respect it.

@Mbineri

Just remember that I quoted an actual actor. Those words aren't just mine. So I guess Knepper doesn't have a clue either, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you could give me a few lessons about acting. But it'll probably be for the best that we move this conversation somewhere else, though I don't really have much to say in the matter. Otherwise let's just leave it at Sergenius is a short sighted, actor hater and move on. I'm just kidding, I'm not the least bit offended. I actually want to thank you both you and Expresso for the insightful conversation.

Back on topic.

post-38877-1276812274_thumb.jpg

I knew it. Evangeline is Kate Beckinsale's lost sister, bad pun intended.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...