Bellazon

Novak Djokovic
Thumbnail

ninanina19

Novak's interview after Estoril final...

Fast-rising Serb teen Novak Djokovic consolidated his hold on No. 5 in the ATP Rankings by winning his third title of the year in Estoril.

Djokovic moved to within 85 points on No. 4 Nikolay Davydenko and 260 points of No. 3 Andy Roddick.

Full ATP Rankings you can see on the left.

After yesterday's match Novak said next:

"I would like to congratulate Richard for reaching the final. On the court he is a great player and you can really expect a lot from him in the future. I knew it would be a very difficult match against him especially on this surface.

"He produces very high spins, which produces a lot of 'Allez' effects on this surface. I knew I would have to work really hard from the start and stay focused to the end if I wanted to beat him.

"We played a really close first set and I think he was supposed to win the first set, but I fought hard. He had a lot of set points, but that is tennis - it can change at any time.

"In the second set it was inexplicable for me. I started to play really bad. I didn't give him any pressure and he was playing a solid game.

"After I was probably saving my energy for the third set, which I managed to do. I was really happy to start the set with a break, which was my goal to break early.

I was playing aggressive, but with a lot of patience. He had a little lack of physical strength. We had a long week - especially myself, with difficult matches in the first round and in the quarterfinals.

"I'm really happy to win another title in a very close match. I hope the crowd enjoyed it because there was a really nice atmosphere."

The main draw for Masters tournament in Rome is released. Novak Djokovic is bye on the start as fifth-seeded player.

The draw is very difficult for Novak. In the second round he will play winner of the match: Benjamin Becker (Germany) vs. Robin Soderling (Sweden). Third round brings four "infernal" names: Marcos Baghdatis, Carlos Moya, Radek Stepanek or Tommy Haas. In the quarter-finals, there is a likely meeting with Rafael Nadal.

Shortly about Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic began playing at age four and made his pro debut at 16. Father, Srdjan and mother, Dijana own a pizzeria and pancake restaurant on a mountain in Serbia for last 15 years. Father, uncle and aunt were all professional skiers and his father was also an excellent soccer player. His father wanted him to be a soccer player or skier but excelled in tennis at an early age. Credits his family as inspiration for giving him so much support and says he wouldn't be able to be where he is without their help. Younger brothers Marko and Djordje are both in school and play tennis. Idol growing up was Pete Sampras. At age 12, attended Niki Pilic Academy in Munich and practiced there before returning to Belgrade. Nole speaks Serbian, German and English. Favorite surface is hard courts but considers himself an all around player. Best shot is backhand down the line. As a junior, advanced to Australian Open junior singles and doubles SF (with Jenkins) in 2004. Coached by Marian Vajda and fitness trainer Salvador Sosa.

• 2 weeks later...