Bellazon

Guti
Thumbnail

Nicole

Barça Have Easier Games – Guti

Real Madrid midfielder Guti believes Barcelona are still the favourites to retain La Liga.

The Catalans went down to a 1-0 defeat to Zaragoza on Saturday and Real closed to within two points of the leaders with a 2-0 victory over Osasuna.

Guti said: "Barcelona are a great team and are definitely favourites to win La Liga.

"They are at the top of the league and have an easier fixture list, so they have fewer chances to fail."

But he added: "What we need to do is just think about our team, keep focused and fight to win.

"To be honest, none of the teams above us have a solid ground. The most consistent side will win the title.

"Barcelona will naturally be nervous because we are very close to them and because they are giving poor performances and are not earning good results. They will also be worried about Sevilla.

"It surprises me that there hasn't been a consistent team in the championship. If there had been, the league would have already been decided."

Guti: Barcelona Must Be Nervous

Real Madrid midfielder Guti believes that the events over the weekend must have left Barcelona looking nervously over their shoulders.

Nervous Barcelona

It was a weekend that belonged to Real Madrid, as they won to close up to within two points of Barcelona, who were found wanting in Zaragoza.

"Barcelona are a great team and still favourites to win the League," began Guti.

"But surely they must be nervous, not only because of their displays and results, not only because of us, but also because even Sevilla are still fighitng for the title."

"We [Madrid] have a great chance, but need to be calm," he continued. "We are not first, so we don't have any advantage yet, but it is certain that we can win.

"The key for us is to win all out home games, and then try to get some points on the road, in order to have a good chance of winning the League."

Sending Off Unfair

"I am always on the limit on the pitch," he said, speaking about his sending off against Celta Vigo ten days ago. "However, the expulsion was unjust because I did not say anything to him [the referee]."

The midfielder was keen to make a return to the first team, but happy to stay on the bench if the team continued to win.

"If he [Capello] does not play me because the team continues to win, great, because it is not the player who is important, but the team.

"When I do play, I will give my best for the benefit of the team."

Racing vs. Real Madrid

• KEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López, Casilla

• DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Helguera, Cannavaro, Mejía, Marcelo, Salgado

• MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Emerson, Diarra, Robinho, Raúl, Reyes

• STRIKERS: Higuaín, Cassano, Van Nistelrooy

Racing Santander 2: Toño; Pinillos, Garay, Rubén, Cristian Fernández; Vitolo, Colsa (Melo, min.68), Scaloni, Óscar Serrano; Munitis and Zigic.

Real Madrid 1: Casillas; Ramos, Cannavaro, Marcelo; Diarra, Emerson, Robinho (Mejía, min.88), Higuaín (Reyes, min.75); Raúl (Guti, min. 85) and Van Nistelrooy.

REFEREE: Turienzo Álvarez, from the Castille-Leon Refereeing Association. Booked Serrano, Garay, Munitis and Scaloni for the locals, and Sergio Ramos and Guti for the visitors. Sent off Helguera for two bookings and Mejía with a direct red card.

GOALS:

0-1: (min.33): Horrible defensive mistake by the locals. Higuaín grabs the ball and assists Raúl.

1-1: (min.71): Penalty taken by Garay.

2-1: (min. 89): Penalty transformed by Garay.

HIGHLIGHTS: Thirtieth matchday of the top Spanish flight played at the Campos de Sport de El Sardinero. Attendance: 22,000 spectators. Before the initial whistle, the local Club gave a shirt to Cantabrian athlete Ruth Beitia, the eight-time Spanish high jump champion.

Real Madrid vs. Valencia

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas & Diego López

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Helguera, Cannavaro, Pavón, Marcelo, Salgado & Torres

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Raúl, Reyes & Beckham

STRIKERS: Higuaín, Cassano & Van Nistelrooy