Bellazon

Linda Evangelista
Thumbnail

dcrim

The Linda Evangelista Guide To Beauty

25 SEPTEMBER 2014 Jessica Bumpus

LINDA EVANGELISTA's instantly recognisable face has graced countless magazine covers and has seen her enjoy a modelling career spanning over 30 years, making her one of the most famous supermodels of all time. And she's still in high demand, announced as the face of Dolce & Gabbana's Primer and Perfect Reveal Lift Foundation just this month. Catching up with Evangelista in Milan before the design duo's spring/summer 2015 show, we asked her about her ultimate beauty inspiration, the tips she's picked up from industry greats and the products she really believes in.

Why did you agree to work on this particular campaign with Dolce & Gabbana?

"I have known the boys since the Eighties and I really, truly believe in them - I have from the get-go. I remember, and they will say it, I would round up the girls and say: 'You have got to do this show'. I love their vision. It's really unique and they stay true to it and they really love women. I honestly believe some designers don't love women.

I was approached by Procter & Gamble and the cosmetics division for this primer and foundation. They actually sent them to me a few months before the shoot and I tried them, because I'm a product junkie - I love a new product - and I was pleasantly surprised. I actually liked the products enough to continue using them. It's very nice, when one is asked to endorse a product, that you actually like it, because sometimes that doesn't happen."

What does your personal daily beauty routine entail?

"For weekdays I have to get going early for the school drop-off and stuff, so I like to keep it simple. That is actually where the primer comes in. It eliminates steps, because it's multitasking. But not like a BB cream is multitasking. I love the idea of a BB cream and I tried every single one I could, but I never found one that worked. But the Dolce & Gabbana primer is illuminating, it makes you glow, and it has sun protection in it. It has long-term benefits to it. For me it is a no-brainer, because sun protection comes first for me. Even in the winter, I always wear it."

What is in your beauty bag?

"Not a lot. Just some neutral browns for the eyes and brows. I don't have a problem leaving the house without make-up. I like Givenchy mascara, and there is another Dior one that I like. I am starting to figure out I like all mascaras as long as they're not brand-new. I don't like them when they're new - they need to dry out a little bit.

I use just a little blush. I am not just here plugging the Dolce foundation, but I just meld a few drops of that in, which is actually quite divine. Sometimes I use a little mineral powder and a little blush, and that is it. My usual lip pencils are the Kevyn Aucoin ones for Ennui that he did in only one colour - this was years and years and years and years before he even passed away. I bought the last stock of it, so I have that. That's it. If I'm going out, it's another story."

What beauty tips have you picked up over the years?

"Oh my gosh, so many - from all the greats. Linda Cantello, Kevyn Aucoin, Laura Mercier, Stephane Marais… They all gave me so many tips. Francois Nars taught me how to do my brows. Laura Mercier taught me how to blend. Pat McGrath taught me about illuminating just above the cheekbone, like a shimmer. Kevyn Aucoin taught me how to draw my lips, Stephane Marais taught me how to do the perfect smoky eye. You give them the same product and they all apply them so differently."

What do you think the definition of beauty is?

"Well, as I'm trying to explain to my son, it has nothing to do with what you look like. I cannot put the emphasis on that any better. It has nothing to do with what you look like."

How do you think the beauty industry has changed since you started out as a model?

"Technology. Everything is just getting better. Before, we didn't have technology in foundations, in powders. Today they're all easier to apply, more user-friendly. It's great."

Do you have any bad beauty habits?

"I cut my cuticles. When I started out, when I first went to New York, I would go to these Koreans where you walked in for nothing and got mani-pedis, and they were cutting and I didn't know any better. I didn't know that you shouldn't. So I cut my cuticles, but I love doing my own manis and pedis."

Who is your personal beauty inspiration?

"Well, this may sound absurd, but I'm going to go with Steven Meisel who adores and loves women, and knows how to bring out the best in everyone. I'm going to go with him. He brought me so many images, and brought me ideas. Early on, he just exposed me to what is chic and what is so interesting about fashion. He taught me so much. He really appreciates the whole industry, and everything behind it. So I'm gonna say him."

vogue.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...