#181 Prettyphile

Prettyphile

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Obama

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:47 AM

Dexter' Spinoff: Showtime Boss Wants to Keep the Franchise 'Alive'

The executive, who oversaw the conclusion of the series that helped put the cable network on the map for original programming, has been fielding questions about whether the Michael C. Hall-Jennifer Carpenter-starrer would continue on in a new form since Showtime confirmed that its current eighth season would be Dexter's last.

"We're nowhere yet, but I do feel like Dexter is such a core franchise to Showtime," Nevins told The Hollywood Reporter at a September Paley Center event celebrating the series. "Arguably, Dexter is to Showtime what Spider-Man is to Sony or Batman is to Warner Bros., so I think it's going to be important for us to keep it alive."

In April, Nevins said that "all options were on the table" when THR asked if Showtime would explore rumblings about a Dexter spinoff built around Carpenter's Deb, which now doesn't seem to be the case both in terms of her storyline or what the actress is open to doing. "I think I have played Deb from start to finish," Carpenter said at this month's Paley event.

The series will end its run on Sunday with a finale that Carpenter said feels "appropriate and right" and will allow her to close the book on Debra Morgan, who was shot and called for help in Dexter's penultimate episode.

With Deb's future not looking so bright, Nevins admitted that the network spends a considerable amount of time pondering what the franchise's afterlife could look like. (For its part, AMC recently reached an agreement for a Breaking Bad spinoff -- potential prequel Better Call Saul, featuring Bob Odenkirk's character -- and is prepping a Walking Dead scripted companion series.)

"We spend a lot of time talking about how we keep the show alive, so it may be a more complicated original idea than just a spinoff," Nevins said of the potential follow-up, which likely would come from Dexter showrunner Scott Buck, who recently inked a two-year development deal with the network.

Nevins said that while the series will continue to have a presence on Showtime and its digital and mobile platforms -- it's one of the most watched shows on the network and beyond -- there are a "bunch of different ways" to do a Dexter spinoff. "I hope that whatever we do will feel both original and in keeping with what people expect out of Dexter," he said, noting it was too soon to discuss if Showtime had been in talks with any of the original cast members. That's in-line with the executive's July comments, when Nevins said that the project may not "necessarily [be] a spinoff."

"There's no sense of whether it will happen and if it will happen, but I want to stay in business with Scott," he said at the time, encouraging the assembled reporters and press at Showtime's Television Critics Association stop to draw their own conclusions about a potential spinoff.

While the future of Dexter remains unclear, Nevins is optimistic that horror drama Penny Dreadful will become the "next big genre show" at Showtime.

"It's very, very different, but it's a true horror show," he said. "There's definitely an audience for premium genre graphic novel [material] but with richness and depth. I think Penny Dreadful is a great answer to where the Dexter fan goes next. I think it's going to be that same kind of immersive universe that Dexter has been for seven seasons."

GY8qabPC.gif

LeeboFreemanJaredLeto BenDahlhausAshStymestTobiasSorensen

TaylorHillHaileyClauson KateUptonAlexMorganAnnaSpeckhart

DioniTabbers ElsaHoskGigiHadid CoraKeegan MarthaHunt

LaurenLayne AlessandraAmbrosio EmilyDidonato

#182 Prettyphile

Prettyphile

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Obama

• Global Moderators
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:52 AM

Disliked the ending of the show so much, and I thought I'd be more upset about the person's death... but I got nothing from it.

Major Spoilers

Spoiler

GY8qabPC.gif

#183 donbot

donbot

i'm big in japan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,979 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

^Agreed for the most part, although I felt horrible about the person's death.

Spoiler

donbot_sig70.jpg
my model can beat up your model

#184 Limerlight

Limerlight

Tell Me It's Not Photoshopped.

• Members
  • 16,300 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

The death was kinda meh I'll be honest you could see it coming but a tad of a surprise, I just thought it might be different.

Spoiler

"The stream starts, and so my spam begins. It shall not end until i am banned. I shall fear no mod, sub to no streamer. I shall live and die in the Chat. For i am the value in the bomber. I am the BM in the lethal. I am the salt in the defeat. I pledge my keyboard to the Chat, for this stream and all the streams to come."- Kripp's Chat May 28th 2014

x39zde.gif

#185 Prettyphile

Prettyphile

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Obama

• Global Moderators
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

Former EP Clyde Phillips Reveals How He Planned to End the Series:

"In the very last scene of the series," Philips explained, "Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, 'Oh, it was a dream.' And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, 'No, it's not a dream.' Dexter's opening his eyes and he's on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They're just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.
"And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he's arguably responsible for, Rita, who he's arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

"That's what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we've seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter's execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion."

GY8qabPC.gif

#186 Prettyphile

Prettyphile

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Obama

• Global Moderators
  • 27,010 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

Dexter' producers explain finale, defend final season

Spoiler

So yeah he was feeling
Spoiler

GY8qabPC.gif

#187 Limerlight

Limerlight

• Members
  • 16,300 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Personally I wanted the show ending this way:

That would've been very undexter like but come on :rofl:

Spoiler

One more just cause:

"The stream starts, and so my spam begins. It shall not end until i am banned. I shall fear no mod, sub to no streamer. I shall live and die in the Chat. For i am the value in the bomber. I am the BM in the lethal. I am the salt in the defeat. I pledge my keyboard to the Chat, for this stream and all the streams to come."- Kripp's Chat May 28th 2014

x39zde.gif

#188 Limerlight

Limerlight

• Members
  • 16,300 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

FYI:

Spoiler

x39zde.gif

#189 k_dub

k_dub

Super PIP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:35 AM

I'm not surprised some people didn't like the ending. However, what show has a PERFECT ENDING?!  "Six Feet Under" was probably the only show that came the closest, since it showed how all the main characters' lives turned out, and even then there were some unanswered questions. Here are my some of my thoughts' about the ending of "Dexter": Even though Debra's death was not as dramatic as some people thought it should have been, I think they summed it up nice with the final flashback they had when Harrison was born, and when they had that heart to heart about how he made her always feel safe. Anybody who was a fan of the series knew the were always co-dependent on each other, that neither could survive in the read world without each other, and Dexter realized that when she died. Another thing is that when he is on the boat and says "I destroy everything I love", maybe they could have added flashbacks of his dad Harry, Rita, and Debra. That really what have drove the point home. The epilogue was whatever, kinda creepy. Just wanted to show who Dexter wound up, alone and totally detached from the rest of the world. Even though I would have been fine with him dying from the hurricane, I thought the epilogue was fitting, though very unrealistic. I mean, how the hell did he surivive that STORM?!

P.S. Sorry for posting the possible spoilers, but I do not see that option to hide it on the toolbar. If you wanna explain how to, send it to my profile.

#190 frenchkiki

frenchkiki

Stockholm Syndrome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,299 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

^^Just write

[spoiler][/spoiler]

between the lines you want to hide. I don't think there is an option on the toolbar? Or I never find it.

Shitty ending. Dump the body in the ocean, how loving is that?

And to answer the questions asked: he certainly used his lifeboat to come back... yeah it is also impossible but that's the only answer because he certainly did not swim his way back home

If they decide to redo the serie in about 2 or 3 years I can bet my right boob

Spoiler

759999SelfreliantSilkyElk.gif

#191 Fashion icon

Fashion icon

sweet violent urge

• Members
  • 13,344 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:56 AM

I have not met a person more obsessed with this show than my mom :dontgetit:

- Jared Leto - 

EEDijKv.jpg

all my life i was never there. just a ghost, running scared...

#192 Diabolo Fraise

Diabolo Fraise

PIP Emperor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,555 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

I was very disappointed by the end of the show. I would have preferred that Dexter dies :idk:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users