Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 (2017)

Michael*

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone been to see this one, then? :smile:

The task of following up on probably the most idiosyncratic entry into the Marvel stable couldn't have been an easy one, but honestly, you'd never have known it from watching. What with the Guardians' world being fairly familiar territory at this point, it lacks a bit of the freshness and surprise element of the first one, but it makes up for that by prioritising character over action in a way that's smarter and so much more thoughtful than it might seem on the surface. I honestly wasn't prepared for the final act to pack such an emotional punch. :cry2:

It's always enjoyable too, to see what a riot of colour these films are. Almost too much to take in on one viewing, but lovely to see after a few too many desaturated, washed out flicks.

As you said, it is difficult (impossible?) to retain the freshness in a sequel. That being said, I enjoyed it with only a few minor complaints.

The one thing they could retain from the first movie was to keep it funny. I think they did a good job of that. I believe I laughed just as much during this movie as the first.

I saw it last week, and enjoyed it. I think I actually preferred the 1st one to the sequel, but it was still good. The last half of the movie was surprisingly emotional, and really well done. I felt like they forced some of the humour? There were definitely places I was genuinely laughing but there were a couple jokes that seemed awkwardly places, or at least didn't work for me. Mostly from Drax. I loved the callback to the original Guardian team in the credit scenes. It would be amazing to see Michelle Yeoh given a more expanded role. 

I really liked it; I think it's a pretty good movie. The plot is a bit too simple, but the charcaters are really funny, especially Drax and Groot.

PS: and the music is great as for the first one!