Bellazon

Star Trek Beyond (2016)

Michael*

Star_Trek_Beyond_title_card.thumb.jpg.aa

Star Trek Beyond

Release Date: 22 July 2016

Director: Justin Lin

Star Trek Beyond is an upcoming American science fiction film and the sequel to Star Trek Into Darkness (2013). It is the thirteenth film in the Star Trek film franchise and the third installment in the reboot series. The film is directed by Justin Lin from a screenplay by Simon Pegg, Doug Jung, Roberto Orci, John D. Payne and Patrick McCay, based on the series of the same name created by Gene Roddenberry. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto reprise their roles as Captain James T. Kirk and Commander Spock, with Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho and Anton Yelchin reprising their roles from the previous film. Idris Elba and Sofia Boutella will also join the film's principal cast. Principal photography began on June 25, 2015 in Vancouver. The film is scheduled for a July 22, 2016 release in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise.

Cast

Chris Pine - Kirk

Zachary Quinto - Spock

Karl Urban - Bones

Simon Pegg - Scotty

Zoe Saldana - Uhura

Anton Yelchin - Chekov

Deep Roy - Keenser

John Cho - Sulu

Idris Elba

Sofia Boutella

I saw a tweet about how obvious the change in director was before viewing the trailer, and after viewing it I don't know how to feel. It definitely has that Fast and Furious vibe with the music and editing, and I don't know how well it's going to mesh with the sci-fi aspect. 

Simon Pegg who is Scotty and has writtent this one said the trailer wasn't good. They're just trying to show off a summer spectacle to appeal to the masses but I think it will be great. He says it's got a lot of story, heart and character. And the feel of this movie feels more like an episode. So i'm looking forward to that. It's just a teaser anyway. A proper trailer will give us a better idea of the story.

Also where the hell is Alice Eve?

There was a story doing the rounds in the summer that Alice Eve was undecided about coming back for another Trek movie, so I guess it must have stayed that way. Bearing in mind that her character officially joined the crew towards the end of Into Darkness, it would be a little strange for them to just cut her loose, although I can't really see her being much of a miss to the story. By no means did she do anything wrong, but it was essentially just a decorative role.

That's a shame. You're right she wasn't a standout or anything but it was nice to have another female character in there besides Zoe. I was also hoping to see them build on a relationship between her and Kirk also given that in the original series Kirk and Carol have a son together. But I'm sure it will be fine.

• 5 months later...

Where the first trailer felt just that little bit too silly, this one suggests that there's going to be more depth to the movie, and not just as an excuse for the outrageous set pieces. The fact that they're hiding an actor of Idris Elba's calibre under a mountain of CGI is pretty disappointing, but overall I'm looking forward to it a lot more now.

But they're not going to destroy the Enterprise again, are they? :no:

The first Star Trek Beyond trailer was terrible. I was questioning if I'd even watch it.

The second trailer at least piques my interest.

I have faith in Beyond because Simon Pegg co-wrote the script. Not in Justin Lin though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 5:09 PM, Stromboli1 said:

I have faith in Beyond because Simon Pegg co-wrote the script. Not in Justin Lin though.

It's certainly interesting to see Simon Pegg being trusted to have such influence over the franchise. When the reboot first landed in 2009, I thought the cast did a superb job in nailing the attitudes and behaviour of the classic crew (for what it's worth, Anton Yelchin was my favourite), but Pegg was probably the least reminiscent of his predecessor in the role. Although I suppose in fairness, he was used mostly just as comic relief.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

@toodarnhot @Kevork89 @Stromboli1 @Shepherd

Anyone end up seeing this, then? :hehe:

I only just got around to taking a look. It doesn’t go to many places that Trek movies haven’t gone before, but the action is spectacular and a fairly simplistic plot gives way to more character-driven stuff, which you can tell the cast are having fun with. I kicked myself afterwards for not giving it a shot on the big screen. :blush:

I actually ended up seeing it twice opening week, since my dad wanted someone to go to the theatre with him. I enjoyed it! I never got into Star Trek until this new set of movies came out, so I'm not nitpicky with them like an older fan might be. Definitely teared up at the credit mention of Anton. 

8 hours ago, Michael* said:

@toodarnhot @Kevork89 @Stromboli1 @Shepherd

Anyone end up seeing this, then? :hehe:

I only just got around to taking a look. It doesn’t go to many places that Trek movies haven’t gone before, but the action is spectacular and a fairly simplistic plot gives way to more character-driven stuff, which you can tell the cast are having fun with. I kicked myself afterwards for not giving it a shot on the big screen. :blush:

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to though. I know Simon Pegg had a big part in writing the script for Beyond. You can't go wrong with that.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:27 PM, toodarnhot said:

I actually ended up seeing it twice opening week, since my dad wanted someone to go to the theatre with him. I enjoyed it! I never got into Star Trek until this new set of movies came out, so I'm not nitpicky with them like an older fan might be. Definitely teared up at the credit mention of Anton. 

I was quite interested to go at the time, but what happened to Anton was a factor in holding off for a while. I remember when I first saw the headline, I assumed it was another tragic case of drugs or alcohol. To find out that it was nothing more than a random freak accident made it all the more heartbreaking.

Honestly, I think most of the cast do a good job of portraying the attitudes and behaviour of the classic crew, but I would probably argue that Anton's take on Chekov was the most fun character of the bunch.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:18 AM, Stromboli1 said:

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to though. I know Simon Pegg had a big part in writing the script for Beyond. You can't go wrong with that.

There are a few missteps here and there, but I thought Pegg's script gave the movie a dose of what the series had been missing for a while, which was fun character interactions and back-and-forth dialogue. The old dynamic between Bones, Spock and Kirk felt like it was being rebuilt. :yes: