Bellazon

katchitup

40 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I guess the "Di caprio no oscar" trope is now dead.  Like many other actors, he won it for a lower profile role.

A part of me thinks this was the Academy paying him back for the other half-dozen times he's not won. Quite honestly, I think if ever there were a time when he really should have been a winner, it was back in 2004 for his performance in 'The Aviator'. For me, that really was the best work of his career.

Still, there's no doubting how much this means to the guy. Look how tightly he's holding onto the award. :laugh:

CcW2B_2W0AEqKik.thumb.jpg.7df0fe742a2154

Yeah he won but it was rightfully so. I agree it wasn't the best performance of his career, but when against the other nominees his performance was simply the biggest standout/the best.

Actually, IMO, the best performances of his career were for movies he never even got nominations for! (Catch Me if You can, The Departed, Django Unchained) 

I'm so proud of him. Just looking at all the pictures and videos  I have never seen him so happy/giddy :heart:

"So you do this every year? I wouldn't know" :rofl: 

9 hours ago, Michael* said:

A part of me thinks this was the Academy paying him back for the other half-dozen times he's not won. Quite honestly, I think if ever there were a time when he really should have been a winner, it was back in 2004 for his performance in 'The Aviator'. For me, that really was the best work of his career.

The funny thing about it is that the oscar can't really mean that much to him professionally- he constantly gets high quality jobs anyway.  

Now what is interesting to me is the political process in winning an oscar.  Di Caprio has been campaigning like a prospective Mayor since even before the movie appeared in theaters.  I thought that was kind of strange.  I still don't have the oscars figured out and need someone 'in the know' to explain it to me.

So he joins actors such as Denzel Washington (who won it for Training Day, but his most important performance was Malcolm X).   Then there are those actors that win for a single standout performance or one that highlights social justice trends.  Many of these use the oscar to jump-start their career for a couple of years.

I think (as Lindsay said), Catch me if you can was a standout.  I remember that he was mostly good in the Aviator.  I've heard that he was good in "Wolf" as well but can't vouch for that.  There is also "Gilbert" which I never saw.

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

I think (as Lindsay said), Catch me if you can was a standout.  I remember that he was mostly good in the Aviator.  I've heard that he was good in "Wolf" as well but can't vouch for that.  There is also "Gilbert" which I never saw.

Do me a favor and check out Whats eating Gilbert Grape and Wolf of Wall Street. Two totally different films with some of Leo's best. In Gilbert Grape playing a mentally challenged teen he just knocked it on the head. He was amazing :o:o  And in Wolf he really showcased his comedic range in one of his craziest performances. It's also just a fun film.

Leo campaigned a bit, but I think everyone just knew it was his year, and he had that going for him the whole time. The press couldn't stop talking about the physicality of the role and Leo just answered their questions. Alot of times Leo never brought that up himself but the press did. 

Anyways I'm just too happy for the guy. No matter the role he constantly delivers and I'm sure he will continue his success. :heart: You can tell from all the pics after the ceremony just how happy it made him :heart: 

I see another Leo-Alejandro collab coming from this!! 

The Academy often do seem to gravitate towards the sort of physical performance that Leonardo gave in 'Revenant', although I wouldn't say he carried the movie in the way he did with, say, 'Wolf of Wall Street'.

In 'The Aviator' he was utterly brilliant as Howard Hughes, and there were his turns in 'J. Edgar' and 'Blood Diamond' as well, for which he was overlooked. A more petulant man would probably have just stuck two fingers up to the Oscars after that. 

Overall though, I'd say he deserves this win, if only for his cumulative track record of strong performances.

Leo won a lifetime achievement Oscar much like Sandra Bullock did too, but she's not even in the same class as Leo in acting prowess.

I agree with all of you that this wasn't Leo's best performance in his movies.

That being said, I'm happy for Leo that he finally won and was very much deserved.

Leo is my all-times favorite actor and I've seen no shit every single movie ever he's done, all of them and I agree The Revenant wasn't the best one of his career, heck is not even Top 3 for me Django Unchained, Wolf of Wall Street and Catch Me If You Can are his best IMO but this movie was literally just Leo and a few moments here and there with another actor but he pretty much carried the movie himself and honestly the other four nominees were just not strong enough, it would have been a bad joke if he had lost. 

I think the best leading actors this past year were Jacob Tremblay from Room and Abraham Attah from Beasts of No Nation but neither of them got nominated so Leo pretty much had this on his pocket the whole time and I'm thrilled he finally won, he just deserved it so much.