Bellazon

katchitup

I can't say that it's enjoyable to watch. It's really well made/special but also very unpleasant in terms of subject matter.  The subject is very niche- people (especially survivalists) with great interest in the area will get the most out of it.  A lot of misery and cruelty & everybody is frostbitten and filthy.  It reminds me of "Apocolypto" in terms of directorial style.  

On 7/18/2015 at 8:32 AM, katchitup said:

I had to make a thread because huge Leo fan :whistle: But also because I'm a huge Tom Hardy fan and this movie just looks simply stunning, filmed in only natural light. 

http://10starmovie.me/watch-the-revenant-2015-online.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revenant_(2015_film)

I like the trailer of this movie. Even watched the movie. Movie is very interesting.

43 minutes ago, Michael* said:

For some reason, we Brits are being made to wait until the middle of January for this one, but I do plan on taking a look. It's just below 'Force Awakens' on my cinematic checklist. :hehe:

It was already screened in NYC and screener leaks are all over the net, LOL.

10 minutes ago, Michael* said:

True, but it seems to me like the type of movie that probably loses something when taken away from the big screen. I plan to see it in the biggest, loudest theatre I can find. :laugh:

Yea, you should- although IMHO I wouldn't watch it with friends unless they have expressed interest.  They may find the experience of watching 2 1/2 hours of misery....not that appealing.  

The bear mauling scene is disturbing and seems to go on longer than it's actually does, LOL.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

True, but it seems to me like the type of movie that probably loses something when taken away from the big screen. I plan to see it in the biggest, loudest theatre I can find. :laugh:

I agree. I've seen tons of links come up to watch right now but I'm trying to resist. :cry: But it really looks like its one for the big screen for sure. 

23 hours ago, Michael* said:

It's truly amazing what actors will put themselves through to try and win an Oscar. :laugh:

Everybody is incredibly filthy all the time- this means that they had to prepare for this everyday on set.

Also, Tom Hardy's character here significant similarities to his role in "Lawless".

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this movie and ...

GIVE LEO THAT GORDDAM OSCAR ALREADY!

Like seriously, I adore Leo and I have seen literally every single movie he has done in the past 20 years, he is my favorite actor and while every year I bitch about him getting snubbed, this time it's entirely different. The man doesn't speak for the most part of the movie yet it is absolutely amazing how you literally feel his pain, anger and every single emotion he goes through the movie, it's the best acting he has ever done and he deserves the Oscar more than ever this time, I've seen some of the GG and SAG nominated movies already and no other male lead comes close to Leo this time, he always had some hard competition but if he loses this year it will be just bullshit.

The movie itself it's really good, my only problem with it is that it felt (and actually was) too long, the last 20 minutes or so i was just hoping it would end already because ... how much shit can one man go through? o.o, other than that I have no complains about it, the acting was great from everyone and the photography was amazing as well as the music.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching this movie, so far boring as piss, I enjoyed the bear mauling though :rofl:  Dead weight looks dead. I would of left your ass as well buddy. Next time learn to play dead better, and stop getting into pissing fights with bears. Win Win.

Tom H is great though.

Edit; Watched the entire thing, and I'm not sure why this movie or Leo for that matter are so "hyped". Leo spends roughly 2 hours of the movie groaning, and getting dragged around with very little acting actually happening and the CGI animals :rofl:  plus the ending was piss poor and

predictable imo. :idk:

All this movie managed to do is remind me I'm cold and snow sucks.

5/10 (mainly cause Leo being smacked around by a bear was hilarious, Tom Hardy was decent putting on a Hillbilly accent, and Montana/Canada are pretty, but too damn cold)

On 1/15/2016 at 10:42 PM, Prettyphile said:

Watching this movie, so far boring as piss, I enjoyed the bear mauling though :rofl:  Dead weight looks dead. I would of left your ass as well buddy. Next time learn to play dead better, and stop getting into pissing fights with bears. Win Win.

Tom H is great though.

In the beginning, there is a short and interesting scene where the Captain tries to ditch the furs but Hardy protests ( saying that he "aint got no life. this here [the furs] is my life")

On 1/16/2016 at 0:01 PM, Michael* said:

The Oscar will go to Daniel Day-Lewis for playing the bear. :angel:

Leo does seemed more positioned to winning the political contest that is the Oscars.  We'll see.

Only Leo can make such a movie into a big box office hit. Last true movie star :thumbsup:

'Revenant' Hunts #1 Amid Newcomers, '5th Wave', 'The Boy' and 'Dirty Grandpa'

The Revenant has finished second the past two weekends, but is finally looking to cross the finish line in first. The 12-time Oscar nominee has grossed nearly $50 million since Oscar nominations were announced last Thursday, following not only an outstanding first weekend, but delivering a mere 20.2% drop last weekend.

This weekend the film expands its reach into an additional 152 theaters, which includes 186 IMAX runs and 268 Premium Large Format (PLF) runs. That said, a 35% drop almost seems a worst case scenario as it should pull in somewhere around $20-21 million this weekend, pushing it over $125 million cumulative. These are good numbers for Fox who are looking at a film with a reported $135 million budget due to production overruns. There's still a long way to go to make up for such a hefty budget, but multiple Oscar nominations and continued box office performance such as this goes a long way.

Source

I left feeling strangely unsatisfied, if I'm honest. What you see in the trailer is exactly what you get in the film, with technical skill and performances on show that are breathtaking at times. Unfortunately, it loses its way after the first hour (when the momentum and thrill of the chase start to die down a bit), and it becomes more concerned with how the film is made than what it's actually making. You should always be watching the story first and foremost, but the plot and characterisation were just too flat to justify the running time. On balance, I think a higher level could have been reached had it been chopped down to two hours or less.

So I saw the Revenant last night....what a beautiful movie. So much symbolism, metaphors, and Leo's acting was amazing! He evoked so much emotion through just his eyes. IMO it wasn't  his best performance ever but its up there. He got the Oscar nomination rightfully so :thumbsup: The movie was long but I was engrossed the whole time, as was the audience. I barely saw anyone shift in their seats. Tom was great, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten more recognition besides his Oscar nom. Will Poulter also amazing! The bear scene was not as gory as everyone claimed it was. But it looked and seemed so real, and thats what made it so scary. The violence in this movie is not over the top, and was very realistic. 

I agree with some criticisms the movie was a bit predictable, but in a way I also like how its a non complicated revenge story. 

8/10 :) 

@Michael* I agree the movie could have been better. Either by chopping it down, removing some scenes (perhaps some shots of the scenary) and replacing them with some more flashbacks or more dialogue scenes. 

Overall thought thought it was an incredibly deep movie with a simplistic plot. Could have been better with some minor changes, but overall great film. 

Fucking amazing, saw it in London a few days ago and about cried my eyes out because I learned a few hours later that I missed my chance to see Tom Hardy at the premiere because of a dinner engagement. 

I don't have anything really constructive to add. @katchitup your review is pretty similar to mine (though I'm quite a fan of well-done simplicity, it's hard to pull off as oxymoronic as that sounds, and I don't mind a predictable movie as long as it keeps my pulse pounding). Such a gorgeously shot film, too. If Lubezki beats Deakins again, poor luck to Roger but such a visually stunning work from Lubezki.

Funny how this movie could give one man his withheld and well-deserved Oscar and steal another from someone who's lost even more than Leo :D

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:20 PM, katchitup said:

@Michael* I agree the movie could have been better. Either by chopping it down, removing some scenes (perhaps some shots of the scenary) and replacing them with some more flashbacks or more dialogue scenes. 

Overall thought thought it was an incredibly deep movie with a simplistic plot. Could have been better with some minor changes, but overall great film. 

I was okay with the plot being fairly straightforward, a simple story doesn't have to be an unsophisticated one. I just think, when a filmmaker has nearly three hours to play with, they should be able to deliver a bit more in the way of human interest. My biggest gripe on that front was with Fitzgerald, who has menace and conviction in spades; the problem is that the more he speaks, the more you realise there's nothing else to him. Overall, I was really impressed by the world Inarritu created, there just wasn't enough happening in it to keep me engaged from start to finish. :hmm:

None of that stuff was through any fault of the cast though, they were all very good. Standout for me was Domnhall Gleeson (what a year that guy's having), but I'd have no problem if Di Caprio won big this year. Seriously, there’s no telling the lengths that he'll go to if he’s denied recognition this time. Just give it to the guy before he really hurts himself, he's earned the right to spend the next couple of years making lightweight romcoms instead. :laugh:

• 1 month later...