Bellazon

Marvel's Daredevil

Michael*

Anx99w0.jpg

Marvel's Daredevil, or simply Daredevil, is an American web television series created for Netflix by Drew Goddard, based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name. It is set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), sharing continuity with the films of the franchise, and is the first in a series of shows that will lead up to a Defenders crossover miniseries. The series is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios, DeKnight Prods. and Goddard Textiles, with Steven S. DeKnight serving as showrunner, and Goddard acting as consultant.

Charlie Cox stars as Matt Murdock / Daredevil, a lawyer-by-day who fights crime at night. The series chronicles the character's early days fighting crime, juxtaposed with the rise of crime lord Wilson Fisk, played by Vincent D'Onofrio. Deborah Ann Woll, Elden Henson, Toby Leonard Moore, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Bob Gunton, Ayelet Zurer, and Rosario Dawson also star. Daredevil entered development in late 2013, a year after the film rights to the character reverted to Marvel, with Goddard initially hired in December 2013. DeKnight replaced him as showrunner and Cox was hired to star in May 2014. Filming began in New York City that July, with production ending in December.

All episodes of the first season premiered on April 10, 2015. The series was released to critical acclaim, with critics praising the action sequences, performances, and the darker tone compared to other properties set in the MCU.

On the evidence of the two episodes I've seen so far, Marvel is onto another winner. It's much darker than anything they've done before, the fight scenes are very punchy, and the casting is excellent for Matt, Karen and Fisk, although Foggy seems to have trouble delivering the dialogue he's given at times. Nice references to 'the incident' to tie into the MCU too, but good that they're not laying it on too thick. I'm really excited to see where they go with it. :smile:

I've seen the first eight episodes. It's such an amazing show. Already up there as one of my favourites. They do an amazing job with the villain too. He isn't under-used like a lot of Marvel villains have been. You also get to see a more human side to him, which is interesting. It's definitely worth watching. 

Yeah, I seem to remember the original comic book version of Fisk being quite convincing, and a well rounded character with real (albeit loopy) motivations and weaknesses. I like the fact that they've stayed true to that and haven't just made him into a cartoonish villain. :yes:

• 1 month later...

It's been confirmed that The Punisher will be joining Daredevil for its next run in 2016. He'll be played by Jon Bernthal.

Funny thing is, I would never have pictured him for the part of Castle, but now I can't think of anyone more perfect. I presume if he's well-received, his appearance in S2 could act as a 'backdoor pilot' to his own Netflix series. :hehe:

That sequence in episode two - you know, that one... ;) I think the quality of that scene is representative of the show as a whole. Honestly, it's brilliant and I can't wait to see what they do with Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Iron Fist. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2016 at 5:29 PM, bucky said:

I will most definitely binge watching season 2.

As will I. :yes:

The final trailer for S2 was just released by Netflix, looks like they're going to delve even deeper into the grey areas of vigilantism. Daredevil stories always seem to be at their best when Matt is struggling with those moral questions, so that should prove to be a very good thing.

On 3/18/2016 at 8:39 PM, Joe > Average said:

Season 1 was awesome :whistle:  . With how good Jessica Jones and Season 1 were, I'm optimistic about Luke Cage and Daredevil Season 2.

If nothing else, I'm looking forward to the episode where Cage and Iron Fist co-found the Heroes for Hire, and the two characters spend the 70s together wearing cool headbands. :rofl: