Bellazon

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

jj3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's no disputing that Abrams has his critics, but he clearly loves the source material in a way that, ironically, George Lucas doesn't seem to any more. Not as much as he loves his lens flare, mind. :laugh:

Whatever Mark Hamill ends up doing in this, I hope it's more than just a rehash of Obi Wan's role in the original film. It's starting to feel like we're supposed to suspect Luke of being the villain of the piece, although I don't know if I could see that happening, particularly with Adam Driver confirmed to be playing Kylo Ren. My guess is that there'll be a big cheer during the final act when he comes out of hiding to save the day, and a 'phew' moment when we eventually figure out that he's still a good guy.

the Hamill thing looks like intentional hype.

Do you like the rehashing of decades ago actors- Hamill, Fisher, Harrison?  I have seen this act before and I  haven't seen it work completely well.  The actors seem "off" as they haven't been doing their iconic character for decades (eg. Die Hard, Indiana Jones, or Rocky) and they have aged greatly.  It's especially awkward (like in Die Hard) where the actor tries to play the same guy even though decades would change a person, and their iconic image has stuck- thus typecasting their young version.

I hate to be negative- but I don't like Abram's directing either.  I felt in the past that his directing was too HBO /TV drama series ish and too little of the grandeur of elaborate set pieces.  That was the charm of the classic Star Wars.   But he's successful even though it always seems that his movies cost-cut. 

There's no disputing that Abrams has his critics, but he clearly loves the source material in a way that, ironically, George Lucas doesn't seem to any more. Not as much as he loves his lens flare, mind. :laugh:

Whatever Mark Hamill ends up doing in this, I hope it's more than just a rehash of Obi Wan's role in the original film. It's starting to feel like we're supposed to suspect Luke of being the villain of the piece, although I don't know if I could see that happening, particularly with Adam Driver confirmed to be playing Kylo Ren. My guess is that there'll be a big cheer during the final act when he comes out of hiding to save the day, and a 'phew' moment when we eventually figure out that he's still a good guy.

Bringing back the old guard always seems fraught with danger, but in this case, I think there are more pros than cons. The oldies don’t have to be (nor should they be) the focus of the new films. The biggest and most vital roles should be given to their children or whoever the main protagonists are, and his handling of Leonard Nimoy's Spock in 'Star Trek' suggests that Abrams understands that. Overall, if they mostly play supporting roles and are included in a way that doesn't feel forced or intrusive, I could see it working out fine.

I haven't seen Ridley in anything and am only vaguely familiar with Boyega, which I suppose follows the tradition of George Lucas casting relatively unknown actors as lead characters. I’ve no worries about Oscar Isaac though, he was great in Inside Llewyn Davis, A Most Violent Year and Ex Machina. :hehe: