Bellazon

Ant-Man (2015)

Michael*

Ant-Man_logo.jpg

Ant-Man is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters of the same name: Scott Lang and Hank Pym. The film is produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. It is intended to be the twelfth installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Peyton Reed directed the film, with Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale, Michael Peña, Judy Greer, Tip "T.I" Harris, David Dastmalchian, Wood Harris, Jordi Mollà, and Michael Douglas starring. In Ant-Man, Lang must help defend Dr. Pym's Ant-Man technology and plot a heist with worldwide ramifications.

Development of Ant-Man began in April 2006, with the hiring of Edgar Wright to direct and co-write with Joe Cornish. By April 2011, Wright and Cornish had completed three drafts of the script and Wright shot test footage for the film in July 2012. Pre-production began in October 2013 after being put on hold so that Wright could complete The World's End. Casting began in December 2013, with the acquisition of Rudd to play Lang. In May 2014, Wright left the project citing creative differences. The following month, Reed was brought in as Wright's replacement and McKay was hired to contribute to the script. Principal photography took place between August and December 2014 in San Francisco, Pinewood Atlanta in Fayette County, Georgia and in Atlanta.

Ant-Man is scheduled to be released on July 17, 2015.

What do we think about this one, then? :mellow:

My faith in the church of Marvel has yet to be truly tested, but I'd have to say this is my least anticipated MCU movie to date. I would probably have had more confidence either if Edgar Wright were still on board (without wishing to indulge my inner nerd too much, I was against his vision for Pym and Lang, but I think if anyone could have pulled it off, it would have been him) or if Marvel had stuck to the original release date of November 2015. That way, they would have had time to rewrite the script instead of having to stick to Wright's original outline.

I'd like nothing more than seeing them knock another one out of the park ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ style, especially with a property like Ant-Man, but the evidence seems to against them at the moment. Overall though, I'll remain undecided, at least until I see the full trailer.

I'm quite excited about Ant-Man with this after Guardians and then the upcoming Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel I'm definitely excited about the direction they are heading in. I've heard a lot of people are very cautious of this but I think it'll do fine. I don't think it will be a major hit. I think it will be just like when Thor or Captain America came out. They made like 400million worldwide and then after Avengers it blew up. I think Ant-Man will do modestly but being in the Marvel Universe and the connections between all stories it will be a hit.

And I'm super excited for Paul Rudd. He's just one of those likeable actors and he has worked hard. Good to see him get a really big role like this.

It wasn't bad, but it felt more like a series of clips from the film than anything to give you a feel of what the end product is going to be like. Ant-Man always inhabited a slightly weird territory in the comics, never fully straight-laced but never totally light-hearted either, and I think they're trying to convey that through Pym and Lang respectively. It also seemed a little light on the two things that Marvel needs to strongly emphasise for the movie to really work - the inventiveness of the shrinking FX and the charisma of Rudd. It's only a brief look though, and there's plenty of time for them to do any pick-ups and CGI work between now and the release.

That's one thing that I noticed a little. The FX didn't look too amazing when he was in ant form. So yeah hopefully it just doesn't look super complete yet and will look 10x better in the theatre. I think Paul will nail it. He only said like 5 words.

• 3 months later...

Yeah this trailer was amazing. That last bit was absolutely hilarious. I can't wait for this. But I think Marvel made a bad decision with the release of Ant-Man. It's coming so close after Avengers. The first Avenger movie we had a year to wait before the next Iron Man film. They gave time to settle everyone down. But once Avengers is over they're jumping straight into a new character. I hope it does really well but this could be the first Marvel movie that might not do as well as the rest. I'm sure it'll be fine. I had the same worry with Guardians and that was a massive success.

• 1 month later...

It is quite soon for another MCU effort to drop. From what I hear, the movie was originally meant to arrive in November, but Feige wasn't keen on the idea of it going up against the new James Bond. Plus, given its troubled production period, he'd probably prefer it if 'Civil War' became their gateway into Phase 3 instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back. I wouldn't put it up there with the very best of the MCU, but I thought it succeeded in its goal of being an entertaining superhero flick with warmth and lightness, and expanded on the theme of slotting each story into its own sub-genre. The last half hour was excellent fun, quite unlike anything Marvel has done before. Rudd and Douglas were great, and Lilly was given much more prominence than I would have imagined. As a launching point for a new character, it was different and the action was different too. After ten or so outings, that's a huge plus.

As for the bonus scenes, the mid-credits scene was pretty good. The end-credits scene was exactly what you want for a final surprise. :chicken:

My reaction was kind of meh. I agree the last half hour was quite exciting. I found the movie felt rather forced. Especially the humor which is something that's really starting to bug me with Marvel films. I love humor when it's right. But when it's forced and done at bad times which they do a lot. Especially to take the punch out of emotional scenes. It really annoys me and they do it too often. I also found that another bad pattern with Marvel is the 1 dimensional villain. Who was portrayed amazingly might I add but he just fell flat. I still enjoyed the movie overall and look forward to seeing more of the character.

The credits scenes like you mentioned were amazing.

Valid points. I tend to agree that they pushed their luck a little with some of the gags, but I think it's especially necessary for a property like this not to take itself too seriously. The whole shrinking thing is such an inherently goofy concept, it's important for the audience to laugh with the movie, as opposed to laughing at it.

Cross was undeniably underwritten, although in fairness it's a struggle to think of any memorable villains (other than Ultron, of course) from the source material. I thought his character, look and motivation were very reminiscent of Obadiah Stane from 'Iron Man' and he was dispatched pretty quickly, which is becoming a recurring MCU theme (other than Loki, who had three movies to develop, and Fisk, who had something approaching twelve hours). He was agreeably sinister though, and they did some brilliantly creative things with him, especially during the briefcase fight.

Overall, I'd sit it in that 'good but not great' pile, alongside the first Thor and Captain America films.

I don't suppose a solo sequel is as foregone a conclusion as movies built around the likes of Captain America and Iron Man were, the biggest obstacle presumably being the shortage of interesting villains for him to fight. I fully expect to see Rudd and Lilly become strong supplementary characters in the future though, and hopefully pop up in tons of other MCU titles. As fun a diversion as 'Ant-Man' was, even Marvel knows not to push its luck too far. :laugh: