Bellazon

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Kevork89

Someone might be able to correct me on this, but it looks like the 'Ultimatum' story arc from Marvel's 'Ultimate Universe', which I believe was a reboot of sorts set in an alternate timeline. They designed it to keep people guessing and move in new and unexpected directions, and killed well-known characters off left, right and centre. Although if I'm remembering it right, there was nothing resembling a significant payoff at the end.

I'm impressed, you recognized it and I didn't even source the image...

I just remembered that the Wolverine arcs take place since the 1800s so the "man created mutants" is clearly Alt. storyline.

Someone might be able to correct me on this, but it looks like the 'Ultimatum' story arc from Marvel's 'Ultimate Universe', which I believe was a reboot of sorts set in an alternate timeline. They designed it to keep people guessing and move in new and unexpected directions, and killed well-known characters off left, right and centre. Although if I'm remembering it right, there was nothing resembling a significant payoff at the end.

The Rogue cut of DoFP has finally been announced today by Bryan. It is coming out July 14th. And adds an extra 17 minutes to the film plus new behind the scenes footage. It's going to be fantastic. It's also the 15th anniversary of X-Men so it's very nostalgic.

On 05/05/2015 at 1:55 PM, Cult Icon said:

I'm impressed, you recognized it and I didn't even source the image...

I just remembered that the Wolverine arcs take place since the 1800s so the "man created mutants" is clearly Alt. storyline.

There's Apocalypse too, he was always written in the comics as one of the world's first ever mutants, although he was meant to have fused himself with alien technology later on.

I haven't read all the X-Men stuff, but I remember that particular arc causing a bit of a stir at the time, with folks online going so far as to declare it one of the worst comic book stories ever produced. It was basically written as an excuse to clear out all the characters they'd lost interest in - a shocking amount were killed off and very abruptly, and all the deaths were staged to appear ironic (albeit in more of an Alanis Morissette kind of way). Think of it as 'Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe' without the dark humour, subtlety or charm and you'll be on the right lines. :pinch:

Good news for all the purists out there, Scott and Alex are indeed going to appear as brothers. :hehe:

I have a feeling that the Summers brothers might be going head to head in this. I think Havok might be recruited as a horsemen for apocalypse. And it would be interesting to see how the two come up against each other if that were the case. Right know I think Havok, Psylocke, Angel and Mystique will be the horsemen. I think the first three definitely. Not too sure about Mystique. Or at least she's be on his side at first and later joins Xavier and Magneto to stop him.

• 2 months later...

On the evidence we have so far, I'm a bit worried that some of these costumes could end up looking somewhat silly on the big screen. It's all the more surprising since Singer was never big on following the designs from the books.

However much people on comic book sites might twist about it, there are certain concessions you have to make in order to adapt this kind of material. What works on the page doesn’t automatically work on film.

I must say, I was expecting Apocalypse to look a lot more imposing physically, although I am willing to give it a shot. I'd imagined the character design being something akin to that of Thanos.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...