Bellazon

Gotham

Michael*

GOTHAM_CAROUSEL_DESKTOP_1400x386-carouse.jpg

Gotham is an American crime television series developed by Bruno Heller, based on characters appearing in and published by DC Comics in their Batman franchise, primarily those of Detective James Gordon and Bruce Wayne. The series stars Ben McKenzie as the young Gordon. Heller is the executive producer along with Danny Cannon, who also directed the pilot. Gotham received a series order from Fox on May 5, 2014, and premiered on September 22, 2014.

As originally conceived, the series would have served as a straightforward story of Gordon's early days on the Gotham City police force. The idea evolved not only to include the Bruce Wayne character, but will also tell the origin stories of several Batman villains, including Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman, Joker, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Hugo Strange, Harvey Dent, Mr. Freeze and Victor Zsasz. The first season order consisted of 16 episodes, which was later extended to a total of 22.

Synopsis

A new recruit in Captain Sarah Essen's Gotham City Police Department, Detective James Gordon is paired with Harvey Bullock to solve one of Gotham's highest-profile cases: the murder of Thomas and Martha Wayne. During his investigation, Gordon meets the Waynes' son Bruce, now in the care of his butler Alfred Pennyworth, which further compels Gordon to catch the mysterious killer. Along the way, Gordon must confront mobstress Fish Mooney, mafia led by Carmine Falcone, as well as many of Gotham's future villains such as Selina Kyle, Edward Nygma, and Oswald Cobblepot. Eventually, Gordon is forced to form an unlikely friendship with Wayne, one that will help shape the boy's future in his destiny of becoming a crusader.

I watched the first three episodes, can't say I'll be too keen to watch anymore. I think it's a combination of I don't like the actor playing James and because I like Batman, not child Bruce Wayne. 

I'm not also a fan of how hyped up the show was, I was expecting more.. well more close to the comics like it claimed to be. 

I'm still on the fence with this one because The Penguin intrigues me, but I've also heard people have started giving up on the show after episode four because it's beginning to sink downhill quickly.  :idk:

I think it was silly on their behalf to change the number of episodes from 16 to 22, now the storyline will be dragged along more. A safer option would have been keeping it at 16 to get it over and done with; like Game of Thrones, I'm sure most people wished there was 16 or 22 episodes, but it has 10 (?), so it doesn't drag anything along for too long.

I thought Selina was a lot more engaging this week, there's a touch of Jennifer Lawrence about the actress playing her. Had trouble wrapping my head around the idea that she would have clawed someone's eyes out at this stage, though. Feels a bit early in proceedings to have that level of violence in the character.

The show's biggest drag is without doubt the relationship between Gordon and Barbara. So far, she's the quintessential blank canvas comic book girlfriend. Hopefully that changes later on.

I've seen her leave twice, both times to go to the police station and those two scenes together only lasted around 2 minutes. Gosh woman. All she does is stay at home, bug Jim about his work secrets, then when she leaves the home she goes to his work. I can see why people don't like her character because she really hasn't been written well at this stage.  :clobber:

To be fair, Jim and Barbara do appear to be living in an art gallery. I'd probably be loathe to leave too. :laugh:

As much enjoyment as people seem to be getting from the Cobblepot and Nygma story arcs (which I personally think are very hit and miss), my favourite character up to now is Harvey, with Fish Mooney a close second. I'm far from being the biggest Jada Pinkett-Smith fan you'll ever meet, but she plays it so over the top that she's hard to dislike. I could easily see Mooney being accepted into the comic book mythos in the near future, a la Harley Quinn.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a real mixed bag so far. There are a lot of things in it that objectively aren't that great, and it doesn't seem to have a clue whether it wants to be a serious cop procedural, a dark adventure or a light-hearted spoof. In a weird way that's quite fun because you never know what it's going to hit you in the face with next, but I think the best case scenario is that the good stuff is good enough to make the weaker bits forgivable. :unsure:

I suppose one of the biggest problems, from more of a long-term perspective, is that the story will have to arrive at a point where Gordon has no chance of winning his war against the criminals of the city. If he's able to arrest most of them over the course of a season or six, then Wayne's eventual decision to become Batman can't really be justified.

• 11 months later...

I've yet to be entirely convinced by the show, if I'm honest. The first run had just enough of a bigger picture element to keep me coming back, but it didn't take long for the 'cases of the week' to start feeling like a bit of a yawn. If they don't up the ante for the second season, I'll probably get bored and end up switching it off. :unsure: