Bellazon

Daily Quotes

Lyla

"In human nature there are never to be found praiseworthy qualities that do not at the same time degenerate through endless gradations into the most extreme  imperfection."

-Immanuel Kant, in 'Beobachtungen über das Gefühl des Schönen und Erhabenen'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You should.  He's written books, and you can also easily read his quotes and watch his interviews online.

Having just wrapped up school, I very much appreciate his thoughts on the sociopolitical ideas of "academics" and "intellectuals" (i.e., professors and students who live in a make-believe world of theory  :cain: ).

I'll pooh-pooh you Alex (as an active investor and trader).  The counter point is quite simple and can be summarized in four words: Capitalism is inherently unfair.  This spawned an competing economic ideology- you may have heard it ;)- called Marxism, which emphasized labor.

I have read some of Sowell's books and have concluded that he is an right wing promoter like Paul Krugman is nothing but a left wing, big govt' promoter. 

He does raise important points like the social engineering/social justice bias of the mass media, public policymakers, academia, and sociologists (because it's their freakin' meal ticket) but like most ideologues he takes certain things it too far.

I'm probably being alarmist (sorry for the post) but you might end up being the b*tch on the dinner table if you start using Sowell quotes, LOL!!!

post-40981-0-1445987229-83189_thumb.jpg

Yea, I will probably agree with his catch-phrases  (which are used by politic talkers as a cited source to prove their own claims) only if they were used and applied to certain IRL situations on a case by case basis.  I do the same with Friedman, Marx, Keynes, Krugman, Stiglitz and other public intellectuals.

Overall, I've learned from a long, difficult journey that real life is far beyond economic ideology.  Different personal experiences, organizations, the environment they find themselves in and the skillsets must be respected in their ability to alter choice patterns.  The Russians are not evil and stupid and neither are we.

:)

I haven't read what he has to say about the Russians - frankly, I don't have much of an opinion either way on the Russians, so I doubt I'd agree or disagree with what he said.  It's common knowledge that Putin is nuts, but that's about all I've got.  Sorry if you for some reason disagree with that.  What I like to hear Sowell speak about are his views on the American economy, such as the consequences of the expansion of welfare from the '70s to the present.  

I also like how he doesn't go along with all that "politically correct" bull&*$# - he calls things as they are, and he's right.  I think he's pretty brave for doing that, particularly because some of what he says deals with race.  Anyway, we can PM about this if you'd like. :)

Perhaps if I read more of his books I'd agree with what you're saying.  To be honest, I mostly am familiar with the "catchphrases" - I like to watch and read what he has to say about only certain issues of which I am familiar (this excludes Russians, for instance).

I hope I'm not being abrupt, I guess I am too 'passionate' about the study of economics...

Yes, you are talking about his book (IIRC, the title was "Black Rednecks"?)

I read Sowell very early on in my life and had to "un-learn"  things for two years afterwards.  The young, empty mind is like a sponge and just latches on to the first concepts that make sense. (as a young Republican leaner but not really at the same time)  That's why I have a slight grudge towards his materials.  If I started with Marx (which is powerful on its own) it would have done the same thing.

Sowell often invokes historically sketchy and poorly sourced narratives of Soviet failure to prove his points.

Yes, he is correct about the nature of creating political correctness via social movements.  I like the classic sociology text: "Diffusion of innovations" which describes it much better and is less politically motivated.

Sure, PM me.  I hope I haven't been too rude...