Bellazon

Mad Max: Fury Road

katchitup

I still need to see this. I've been tempted to watch it online a few times but I think it would be really awesome to see it in HD on the BIG screen :p

Definitely, for full appreciation see it on the biggest, noisiest screen you can find. Worth every penny. :yes:

I have read both the first Miller backstory/prequel comic and have scanned the Art book.  Both have clues about the Mad Max:FR universe.  Mad Max FR comic #2 Furiosa is going to appear on June 17th.  The comics have value because they are canon.

The film that made it to the theaters is actually the final act of the story- MMFR is meant to be a franchise.  The next two movies are about what occurs before.  The prequels will have a connection to MMFR but how much I don't know.  Theron and Hardy are both signed on for the next installment.  Part II was initially named "MM: Furiosa".

I suspect that the series was produced with minimal exposition and presented in reverse order due to commercial reasons.  Instead of having a lot of (possibly mediocre) acting, Miller kept the whole film set up as a 2-hour spectacle.  The visuals speak for themselves and really it takes at least a second viewing and repeated viewings of various portions to really see everything the film has to offer.  From this vantage point- the hype for movie II can have a platform for more than niche appeal.  There is enough mystery that it keeps viewers wondering.

The film is currently on the road to making money (it has to make over 300-400 million box office globally to make up for cost) but with the R rating and the niche status it will not be a blockbuster at the level of Marvel/DC.  But the prequels might become more than that, though.

Lindsay I think it's close to leaving theaters in the US.  :p

It definitely shouldn't be seen by Cam-Rip.

I still need to see this. I've been tempted to watch it online a few times but I think it would be really awesome to see it in HD on the BIG screen :p

------------------------

This movie has inspired me to look at more post-nuclear media- I have checked out the elaborate Fallout universe (wikia and youtube), comics, etc. and with closer look I stricken by the fact that the post-nuclear motifs & visuals in MM:FR aren't original.  I guess I'm just green to this genre.  This is especially the case when it comes to Fallout:  the MMFR world could easily take place in its universe. 

FINALLY SAW IT and those badass trailers were not misleading. Because it was badass :p Not like any other movie I've ever seen, the movie itself was just beautiful, the effects, and very little CGI made it so realistic. All the actors were great, and those fight scenes were just amazing :p But there was something missing for me...some more character development I wanted to see on the characters, especially Max. Charlize Theron's character had some depth, and so did Nicholas Holt's, but I wish I could have seen/heard more about Max. That being said the movie is what it is and I get that it is also trying to just portray sheer madness of the world and where Max was today. Was still a thrill ride and the most unique action movie I've ever seen :thumbsup:

The other repeated criticism I take issue with is the one about Max not being in it much, and it being more about Furiosa. If you look at the second and third movies, the plots were never really about Max. Max was always the guy who just sort of drifted into other people's stories, played his part, and left. The character is a drifter, and even on a self-referential level, it's all he is. Even in his own movies, he can never be more than that, and I love that.

Good point. 

The first two canon prequel comics have been released and are online.  There will be two more, and then some most probably. 

The exposition was deliberately cut from the film and I believe that this was correct.

Issue #1 is Nux/Immortem Joe backstory.  Issue #2 -The comic depicts the demented "domestic life" of the girls, furiosa's relationship with them, and their eventual actions to leave.

Meh...Too much for my brain. I really liked those scenes when they stopped, lol, those were very nice. Especially when Charlize went on knees in the desert, so beautiful picture. I only like it overall because I could laugh sometimes. 

On 6/15/2015 at 3:43 PM, Cult Icon said:

This movie has inspired me to look at more post-nuclear media- I have checked out the elaborate Fallout universe (wikia and youtube), comics, etc. and with closer look I stricken by the fact that the post-nuclear motifs & visuals in MM:FR aren't original.  I guess I'm just green to this genre.  This is especially the case when it comes to Fallout:  the MMFR world could easily take place in its universe.

I think ‘Mad Max’ is to the post-apocalyptic genre what ‘Blade Runner’ is to sci-fi. Watching them now, you feel like you've seen almost everything in them a thousand times before, and truthfully you have, but it’s because so many people have since conceptualised their love of both movies that they've come to feel so familiar. Almost everyone who made a sci-fi piece after 'Blade Runner' cribbed from it, while the imagery of Max has been borrowed by everyone from Duran Duran to Beyonce. The 'Fallout' series has pretty much been a love letter to ‘Road Warrior’ and its desert wasteland setting since the first game, right down to the single-sleeved leather jacket you can wear in-game. :hehe:

^^

Insightful.

You're right.  I've never seen the original Mad Max films.  The thing with pop films is that they can popularize otherwise niche things. 

With MMFR, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, it's a huge mass of tropes from this genre. Deus Ex/total recall are obviously very blade-runner ish.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to seeing this. It's an amazing action movie, one of the best I've seen in recent years. However I personally believe Road Warrior is still the best Mad Max movie. As someone online said Road Warrior is a more intimate movie as you see the world through Max's eyes. In Fury Road it's split between a handful of people. Lets be real here, Furiosa owned this movie. Should have really been named after her, probably ditching Max altogether as she held her own. I could see the movie working without him as it does feel like it could be set in a Mad Max kind of world - he wasn't the main focus like I said above, so that's why it doesn't feel like a 'Mad Max' movie.

Besides that I did have a few issues with the movie. In the originals if Max was hurt, he was hurt - sometimes an injury he sustained at the end of the movie was seen in the next one. In this one a car he was on top of was flipped and sent him flying, if you watch it, it's something he shouldn't survive. Yet you see him in the next scene, with hardly any injuries. As my boyfriend and I said, it's the Bruce Willis Die Hard treatment. In the first movie he walks on glass and cuts his feet, in the later movies he's doing wild stunts that he shouldn't be doing or surviving. 

The scenes with the little girl which I assume is his daughter (he had a baby son in the originals) were overplayed. Seeing her once was enough to understand he went through a horrific loss. Just hearing her voice would have been better, not seeing her appear three or four times. Tom is an amazing actor, he could have shown the pain on his face - we didn't need to see her over and over.

Despite it's flaws, it isn't a horrible movie not in the slightest way. It's amazing. The action is out of this world especially the last action sequence. 

Although maybe I should take back my statement about Furiosa being the real hero here because the dude playing the guitar was pretty badass. I want him and those drummers to follow me as I drive. 

• 3 weeks later...

^

Interesting.

I've let the film settle for quite some time since I saw it on Day 1.  It seems to me that while the theater experience was superb, the re playability is less so.  I haven't really desired to see it again back to back like some of my favorite movies.

Most of the prequel comics (Miller credited) came out and were rather mediocre.   They expanded the universe somewhat but it was less impressive than I hoped for. 

So the idea of this becoming the next classic franchise has come into question.

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely one of the best movie ive ever seen,the action is non stop an put together very well,the vehicles were off the hook,incredible scenes throughout,never seen an action film with this much action and intensity,should win a few awards,10/10

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So, a couple of years after the original release, a brief run for the 'Black and Chrome' edition of Fury Road has just started in cinemas, apparently to coincide with a DVD reissue. Supposedly, this was Miller’s preferred version.

Honestly, I was dubious about this, but it did work for me. If nothing else, it gave me an excuse to go to the cinema and watch a great movie again. Fury Road was one of my favourite films of the last decade, and I still think it's superb. :yes:

19 minutes ago, Michael* said:

So, a couple of years after the original release, a brief run for the 'Black and Chrome' edition of Fury Road has just started in cinemas, apparently to coincide with a DVD reissue. Supposedly, this was Miller’s preferred version.

Honestly, I was dubious about this, but it did work for me. If nothing else, it gave me an excuse to go to the cinema and watch a great movie again. Fury Road was one of my favourite films of the last decade, and I still think it's superb. :yes:

Great!  what did it add?

1 hour ago, Cult Icon said:

Great!  what did it add?

I definitely think it adds something, or at least changes a few things. It's funny, but when you watch in black and white, you become a lot more focused on the shot composition and aware of the actors' facial expressions, which of course were two of the movie's real strengths. You do lose some of the power of the desertscape at times, but the War Boys become more threatening and less cartoonish. :smile:

On 5/5/2017 at 9:25 AM, Michael* said:

I definitely think it adds something, or at least changes a few things. It's funny, but when you watch in black and white, you become a lot more focused on the shot composition and aware of the actors' facial expressions, which of course were two of the movie's real strengths. You do lose some of the power of the desertscape at times, but the War Boys become more threatening and less cartoonish. :smile:

thanks..

I will likely see Alien Covenant in theaters so I'll post about taht

On 5/6/2017 at 9:35 PM, Cult Icon said:

I will likely see Alien Covenant in theaters so I'll post about taht

I'll be seeing that as soon as I can too, will meet you in the Covenant thread afterwards. :hehe:

It sounds at the moment like Logan will be the next film in line to receive the black and white treatment, which seems like a bit of a pointless exercise to me. I mean, I enjoyed it immensely but it's technically a weaker film, and I suspect black and white will only serve to highlight that. Quite honestly, I'm already sort of hoping that isn't the start of a new trend where Hollywood, having found cinemagoers less and less keen to pay a mark up for the 'delights' of 3D, hits upon the wheeze of charging people a second time to watch the same movie again in monochrome. :/