Bellazon

Mad Max: Fury Road

katchitup

Mad max = :heart: Mel Gibson :heart: :heart: :heart: :sex: :heart:

Period

End of the story

Have to agree with you there. 

They can show as many trailers full of explosions as they want but it isn't a Mad Max movie. People will probably love this movie and they can if they want to. I just feel like this series should have just been left alone. Mad Max is over, it ended. I don't need another one, especially one full of model 'actresses'. 

On 12/13/2014 at 0:38 AM, frenchkiki said:

Mad max = :heart: Mel Gibson :heart::heart::heart::sex::heart:

Period

End of the story

Respectfully disagree on that one. As great as Gibson was in the original trilogy, the franchise's star player has always been George Miller. He's back on board for this one and if he can recapture at least some of that early, demented energy and doesn't CGI it to death, I see no reason why this movie can't be a winner.

Getting it off the ground has of course taken longer than anyone would have liked, but Miller has only directed nine times in 35 years anyway. He's yet to drop his game, despite making some pretty eccentric career moves. :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

Period

End of the story

My favorite has always been "Mad Max 2".

There is something bad-ass about the sparseness of dialog from the hero in that one.

I believe he only speaks for the first time after ten minutes and he will only utter sixteen lines total in the entire run-time of the film.

Yet Max occupies ever fiber of that film.

Period

End of the story

My favorite has always been "Mad Max 2".

There is something bad-ass about the sparseness of dialog from the hero in that one.

I believe he only speaks for the first time after ten minutes and he will only utter sixteen lines total in the entire run-time of the film.

Yet Max occupies ever fiber of that film.

That movie is utterly amazing, up there as one of my all time faves.  :PinkCouture2:

I also love how he walks with a slight limp in this movie as a nod to his leg injury at the end of the first movie. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was bloody amazing. It was an incredibly action packed, adrenaline rush masterpiece. It was action but filmed so beautifully. And what was even better is that it wasn't too much cgi. Which is rare in blockbuster movies these days. All stunts and practical effects with some cgi. Tom was great as Max. Accent needed a bit better work but was still awesome. And Charlize is a total badass.

^^

Thanks for the review!  I haven't noticed this film or its hype but I am definitely interested now.  I like the apocalyptic setting genre. (like Winterworld or Waterworld).  Mad Max is "Desertworld"..

==========================================

I saw Mad Max:Fury Road.  Terrific Film!  5/5    I would go far enough to say that it is a classic in the making.   The first one hour is something that no one has ever seen before.

It is difficult to describe in words what I saw. In terms of adrenaline the only other comparison I can think of is the helicopter scene from "Apocalypse Now". Except it goes on for about 1:30 out of the 2:00 running time. It resembles a roller-coaster ride more than movie...

Spiritually, the first hour is a nihilistic celebration of being alive with all the endless death-defying feats. Like Kamikazes, the road warriors fight with suicidal 'elan' and exhibit great joy of battle..."GIMME SOME CHROME! GIMME SOME CHROME!"

This movie uses a lot of real stunts rather than CGI and has the appearance of 1980s graphic sci-fi like in those 2000AD/Judge Dredd magazines.  The settings are from that era.

The story can be simplified to an endless chase across the desert by a light armed vehicle battalion with various specialized.."combat assets". In its escape, the fuel truck gets unwitting or intentional aids that uses mobile groups, and these end up fighting the hostile battalion. There is even a sequence where they have to deal with getting bogged down in mud. The end involves a pitched final confrontation as those that are being chased turn on their pursuers.

The visuals and action are so outstanding that I feel dirty for saying negatives about this film.  But about 0:30 out of 2:00 didn't work.  This was a sentimental portion which came across as thin:

* Tom Hardy's physical acting was quite good, and Charlize was a very sexy & beautiful woman (tall, cheetah-like, clever, heroic).  Charlize can act, and does the best she could with the material.  That missing arm of hers gave her street cred...

What I absolutely love about the film is the zeal for life that's present in much of the imagery.

*But the focus on introducing many more female characters (around 9-10) took away from the relationship of the first two.  Of the five maidens, Rosie and Abby Lee were gorgeous and focused on.  But they couldn't act, and neither could most of the other women.  

135Sc7Oc.jpg llSQJq6U.jpg mVoaC5P7.jpg nFd7dyiO.jpg 3z2X4um7.jpg

This is an official "prequel" written by the director.  It adds information about the characters in the film.  The first issue is about the origins of the "Citadel" and Nux.  In looking at my copy it is a bit cliche' 2000AD at first glance but it's a nice source of additional information that wasn't covered in the movie.

*** Now that I have read it, I find it decent additional information about Nux, the citadel, and Immortem Joe.

PS. #1  is floated online (free): you only need to look.... :)

Mad Max 5 and 6 are rumored to be prequels...well, the director has released supplementary information (about the back-stories of the characters and the "economics" of the citadel) that goes with the movie in comic book form. I read the first issue and found it interesting, classic 2000AD type pulp.

What stands out is the possibility that 5 and/or 6 may be about the creation of a 'desert oasis' & war machine by Colonel Joe (yes, that Joe)....with the force of arms & fear, of course.

Beginning 20 May 2015, Vertigo will release three comic book prequels, one per month, that detail the backstory for a character in the film. The first comic titled Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux and Immortan Joe was released on May 20. The second one titled Mad Max: Fury Road - Furiosa will be released on June 17. The third one titled Mad Max: Fury Road - Mad Max #1 will be released on July 8. The final prequel comic titled Mad Max: Fury Road - Mad Max #2 will be released on August 5.

post-40981-0-1445986722-17563_thumb.jpgpost-40981-0-1445986722-21047_thumb.jpg

These are photos of almost every single vehicle type used in the film.  I believe that one of the major reasons why the action was so interesting had a lot to do with all the novel characteristics of the vehicles.  They spent great effort to design and build these things.

http://geekslop.com/2015/all-of-the-monstrous-vehicles-from-mad-max-fury-road

the boss vehicles:

1. Gigahorse (Immortem Joe, Leader of Citadel).  His son drives the "Big Foot".

2. The Stretch Limo (People's Eater, mayor of Gas Town) pulling a fuel tanker that supports his fleet.

3. The car-tank (The Bullet Farmer, leader of the ammunition plant)

4. Rockstar vehicle

And of course:

1. Max's Intercepter

2. Furiosa's War Rig

DEy4W2hr.jpg VV4myBsR.jpg WVAYVkQo.jpg aUVnOBLE.jpg D8HUV4ed.png IK4XHAgF.png pCCF02tk.png m2pUgjPO.png 1n06aLDx.png VElq6Xtr.png 80eHHZUn.png 5gNDr1gr.png JbHPJJmg.png 54ygmiis.png 03qmAie8.png ooILPPpX.png 3JGNnO21.png gqcC9Dr8.png sNRGM3Zw.png K9W25p0U.png qUkYZaQz.png rcOXxNvn.png IZUJmoJW.png Md0UjVci.png nZa5qcb8.png OY9hJruO.png rbA6a1qX.png ksp6Z0HN.png F3ag0jIn.png x9qN9dyw.png T5j6ZIR2.png xIiu1DFD.png dd6vsz8E.png

=============

longform-original-23027-1432214037-12.png

http://www.buzzfeed.com/danieldalton/what-a-lovely-day#.waxPdVpoQM

anigif_optimized-7818-1432201062-11.gif

I browsed the Art book already and read "Immortem Joe and Nux" . I looks to me that they did create a viable setting (revolves around a small economy between the Citadel, Gas Town, and the Bullet farm). If it is a proper sequel (not prequel) then it may involve this or maybe Miller will start with another world/concepts entirely.

I am looking forward to reading the  Furiosa backstory which is coming out next month.

From the art book, it is evident that the Fury Road conceptual planning began in the late 1990s.

Some varied artifacts I saved. My favorite vehicle in the film is the absurd stretch Limo hauling the fuel tanker. The People's Eater- the morbidly obese major of Gas Town looks like a deviant in a suit (complete with nipple clamps)- a satire of an industrialist fat cat hauling the precious goods (fuel and probably water & milk as well):

001_ThGgCxsK.jpg

NNdfpidO.jpg lLwSrB4G.jpg OHUfH8SX.jpg n8GKid1A.jpg t6eTEnRM.jpg oj1Qq4fI.jpg a5Q4GgQJ.jpg 9NNaXyhd.jpg 96xESxja.jpg NyPrSpqd.jpg ThGgCxsK.jpg uDWksprr.jpg XrpN64JI.jpg SCmi3TEO.jpg bilxSkjp.jpg B3NngkId.png VqhDyGTK.png JcisnvUd.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to see it at the weekend. What a film. What a lovely film. :chicken:

It wasn’t just a brilliant action movie, it was a brilliant movie full stop. Relentlessly thrilling, genuinely, refreshingly volatile and full of surprises. Standout performances for me were Theron and Hoult (other than Miller himself who is the film's MVP). I fully expected Theron to be great as Furiosa, but I was surprised at how good Hoult was as Nux. Hardy was pretty good too, although it's no secret that he can do this kind of role in his sleep.

The people online currently throwing around terms like 'mindless action' are completely missing the point, because it was so much more than just two hours of crashing and bashing with nothing between its ears. Sure, some of it was contained within the action, but the movie has theme, narrative and character in spades. I already feel like seeing it again, because everything just whipped past so quickly that I probably missed a few things. :hehe:

You mean those trolls on IMDB?  Yea, it's not a film with dense dialogue- it's a film with dense/creative action, props, and worldcrafting.  The RT meter is still @ 98% which is quite rare thing to see- usually some critics will go against the grain to draw attention to themselves but in this case, almost all of them rode the wave.

On 14/06/2015 at 5:51 PM, Cult Icon said:

You mean those trolls on IMDB? Yea, it's not a film with dense dialogue- it's a film with dense/creative action, props, and worldcrafting. The RT meter is still @ 98% which is quite rare thing to see- usually some critics will go against the grain to draw attention to themselves but in this case, almost all of them rode the wave.

Not specifically (although IMDB has more than its fair share of berks too :ninja:), just random comments that I've seen on my travels. Granted, the central plot is fairly straightforward, but a simple narrative needn't be an unsophisticated one. Film is a visual medium, there were plenty of stories told in 'Fury Road' and very cohesively too, despite the obvious sparseness of the dialogue. Personally, I find half the fun of going to the cinema is connecting the dots and using your imagination. This doesn’t beat you over the head with exposition like many big movies these days, it trusts its audience enough to watch and figure things out for themselves.

The other repeated criticism I take issue with is the one about Max not being in it much, and it being more about Furiosa. If you look at the second and third movies, the plots were never really about Max. Max was always the guy who just sort of drifted into other people's stories, played his part, and left. The character is a drifter, and even on a self-referential level, it's all he is. Even in his own movies, he can never be more than that, and I love that.