Bellazon

Book recommendations

Guest quasicartes

Guest quasicartes

The super-boring christmas is around the corner, so I need you guys to recommend good books...

Fiction and non-fiction.

Old or new.

All sorts of genres.

Any good book.

Wow where to start...I'm such a book nerd...ummm...Well I have a favorite series that you might enjoy: Anita Blake Vampire Hunter By Laurell K. Hamilton...Umm also Stones from the River by Ursula Heigi...The Count of Monte Cristo, Harry Potter was great too, Lemony Snicket, Bitten by Kelley Armstrong...I have a few more but I can't think of them right now.

1984 is classic, If you haven't read it yet, I recommend picking up a copy. It's only 5 or 6 bucks, and you should be happy with the purchase.

For me it took a bit to get into at first but after a little bit I just flew through it.

The similarities between our current society and Orwell's fictional society are strikingly similar, enough to make you think that that world could be just around the corner. :|

Another good book I need to re-read is Good Omens, I'll let you look it up and make the decision for yourselves, but if you like dark humor involving Angels and Devils and the end of the world, this book is for you. ;)

Here is a link to the Amazon.com page for Good Omens.

I'm gonna read those once I get a few bucks to pick up a copy of each.

There is a new one out called something like, The Bourne Legacy, of course it's not by Ludlum, but it could be interesting to read. Who knows.

I want to recommend a book called House of Leaves.

Just open the book and thumb through it, the way it's setup is pretty trippy by itself. You can check out the book here at Amazon.com

It's a pretty intersting book, and the look of it adds a little something different when your reading it.

Very cool book, I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.  My favorite book.

Steinbeck is awesome. What a writer. East of Eden is my favorite of his, little better than grapes of wrath. If you like Steinbeck you might like Erskine Caldwell. He's usually a footnote compared to faulkner, hemingway, and twain, but he's comparable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would suggest Don Quijote. Its hilarious, the characters are unforgettable, and the games that Cervantes plays with narration and reality and plot were revolutionary then and are still used today.

I would suggest an annotated version that explains all the literary references he makes. Really it is a funny book and not too hard to read. Its an odd feeling to find yourself identifying and sympathizing with a complete lunatic of a geezer who thinks he's a medieval knight.

Other than Cervantes I suggest:

Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo,

anything by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Just got done reading Diary by Palahniuk, and I think its one fo his best. I think his best ones were Invisible Monsters, Fight Club, and Diary. I just could never get in to Choke.

And the Potter and Snicket books. I came home for winter break and found my mom reading them and teased her mercilessly for it. Then she caught me reading them two nights later. She's been teasing me mercilessly about that for three years now. Serves me right for judging a book before reading it. :blush: