Bellazon

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Cult Icon

Also, what is most interesting to me:

Snyder approached Affleck months ago, reports THR. Affleck would not take on this role unless he had some say in how this script turns out. He will have a strong hand at Warner Bros., which backed him on “The Town” and the Oscar-winning “Argo” and is invested in telling the town he’s sticking around the studio. Affleck signed for multiple pictures. If this works out he’ll have a major franchise to play with for years ahead. And a major studio where he can hang his hat, as his hero Clint Eastwood has done for decades.

^^

I haven't read the news about this, but it's highly probable that Affleck's hiring is not due to his 'great audition'.   There was probably a deal done since Affleck is not 'just' an actor but can bring much more to the table as an experienced director and producer with numerous contacts/networks.  His role as Batman was his reward.

It's something that they'll be hoping to try and utilise, I'm sure - but chances are he'll just end up bringing Matt Damon along. He's a bit old to play Robin though, maybe he can be Alfred instead. :laugh:

• 2 months later...

Fast & Furious star Gal Gadot to play Wonder Woman

Israeli actor Gal Gadot is to play Wonder Woman in the forthcoming "Batman v Superman" movie, it has been revealed.

The appointment of the Fast & Furious 6 star ends months of speculation over whether DC Comics' best known female superhero would appear in the film, which is director Zack Snyder's sequel to this year's Superman reboot Man of Steel. The movie remains untitled but is known to centre on a conflict between the last son of Krypton and Gotham's dark knight. Along with Wonder Woman, other inhabitants of the DC universe such as The Flash and Nightwing are rumoured to be making appearances.

"Wonder Woman is arguably one of the most powerful female characters of all time and a fan favourite in the DC Universe," said Snyder. "Not only is Gal an amazing actress, but she also has that magical quality that makes her perfect for the role. We look forward to audiences discovering Gal in the first feature film incarnation of this beloved character."

Gadot, a former model and Miss Israel, tweeted: "Wonder Woman! So exciting!!! Can't express how happy I am : )))"

If the new film is a hit, studio Warner Bros is expected to produce a Justice League film featuring Superman alongside Batman, Wonder Woman and various lesser-known heroes. Ben Affleck was revealed as the surprise new Batman last September and has reportedly signed on for multiple movies to play the caped crusader and his alter ego, Bruce Wayne. British actor Henry Cavill reprises his role as Superman/Clark Kent after impressing in this summer's Man of Steel.

Linda Carter, 62, who played Wonder Woman on the small screen between 1975 and 1979, tweeted: "Congratulations to Gal Gadot!" within a few hours of the news being broken. However, elsewhere the reaction to the casting news was mixed. Blogger Drew McWeeny wrote: "I've met Gal Gadot. She's very pretty. She also looks like she'd snap in half if I leaned on her wrong," but others pointed out that the actor had two years in the Israeli army to prepare her for the powerful role.

So far there appears to be no online campaign for a different casting choice such as the one which greeted Affleck's appointment three months ago. Man of Steel 2 is due to shoot next year for a July 2015 release.

I may be doing Gal a disservice (after all, everyone is pretty wooden in the 'Fast & Furious' movies) but I get the impression that they're not taking the idea of a potential Wonder Woman spin-off movie very seriously. :/

• 2 weeks later...

I may be doing Gal a disservice (after all, everyone is pretty wooden in the 'Fast & Furious' movies) but I get the impression that they're not taking the idea of a potential Wonder Woman spin-off movie very seriously. :/

I thought the same thing but then I did some research on Gal and I don't think she'll be too bad. She isn't very famous so she'll have a lot to prove and will want to nail this role. She was a soldier for two years in the Israel Defense Forces, even though over there it is compulsory for everyone to serve some time in the army. I think she'll do fine, she has a military background and she does all her own stunts in the Fast movies, so yeah, people just need to give her a chance. We haven't seen her full potential yet.

Gal's resume doesn't worry me too much (Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth weren’t exactly veterans either), my concern is that they’re treating an iconic female character and one of DC's few genuine draws as an afterthought.

Snyder's track record of directing good female performances is decidedly iffy too, it took the presence of Amy Adams in 'Man of Steel' to push into the realm of decent acting.

Gal's resume doesn't worry me too much (Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth weren’t exactly veterans either), my concern is that they’re treating an iconic female character and one of DC's few genuine draws as an afterthought.

Snyder's track record of directing good female performances is decidedly iffy too, it took the presence of Amy Adams in 'Man of Steel' to push into the realm of decent acting.

I'm sure he knows what he's doing and it helps when the actor/actress is actually serious about the role. So far Ben is serious about playing Batman, he's working out in the gym and even went to Christian Bale to ask him for advice. Snyder sees something in Gal and Ben so we'll have to wait and see them actually acting as that character before we judge. We also have no idea what WW's role in this movie will be. Perhaps a teaser for her own movie or even a Justice League? 

Besides, he knows he has to get WW right because she's loved just as much as Superman and Batman. Warner Bros probably won't let him screw up in any way because they need Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. If he fails, all hell will break loose. 

I'm sure he knows what he's doing and it helps when the actor/actress is actually serious about the role. So far Ben is serious about playing Batman, he's working out in the gym and even went to Christian Bale to ask him for advice. Snyder sees something in Gal and Ben so we'll have to wait and see them actually acting as that character before we judge. We also have no idea what WW's role in this movie will be. Perhaps a teaser for her own movie or even a Justice League? 

Besides, he knows he has to get WW right because she's loved just as much as Superman and Batman. Warner Bros probably won't let him screw up in any way because they need Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. If he fails, all hell will break loose.

I'm sure she's committed to the role, it's just that the studio's apparent 'wait-and-see' approach has left me pretty bemused. It doesn't really inspire confidence that they're interested in giving Wonder Woman her own movie or using her to flesh out the DC universe. Men get so many more chances to play lead superheroes than women, and if Gal doesn’t steal the show in what is essentially going to be Affleck and Cavill's movie, it wouldn't be hard to imagine the studio going cold on the possibility of 'taking a chance' with a female superhero again.

Time will tell though, my fingers are crossed.

• 1 month later...

'Batman Vs Superman' delayed until 2016

Warner Bros. announced yesterday (January 17) that the sequel to Man Of Steel will be delayed by 10 months until May 6, 2016 to "allow the filmmakers time to realise fully their vision, given the complex visual nature of the story", reports Total Film. The film was originally slated for a Summer 2015 release.

In a statement, Warner Bros. spokesperson, Veronika Kwan Vandenberg, said: "We know that there is already great anticipation building for the next superhero film from Zack Snyder, and we are equally eager to see what he has in store for Superman and Batman as they share the big screen for the first time ever."

Ben Affleck will appear in the film as Batman, while Henry Cavill is set to reprise his role as Superman. Amy Adams will be returning as Lois Lane and fellow Man Of Steel cast members Diane Lane and Laurence Fishburne have officially signed up to reprise their roles too in the Zack Synder-directed movie.

Guess we'll be needing a slight edit of the thread title. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

More casting news

BURBANK, Calif. — Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that Jesse Eisenberg has been set to star as Lex Luthor and Jeremy Irons will play Alfred in the upcoming Zack Snyder untitled Superman/Batman film. The dual announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Snyder stated, “Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman’s rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940. What’s great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He’s a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions.”

The director added, “As everyone knows, Alfred is Bruce Wayne’s most trusted friend, ally and mentor, a noble guardian and father figure. He is an absolutely critical element in the intricate infrastructure that allows Bruce Wayne to transform himself into Batman. It is an honor to have such an amazingly seasoned and gifted actor as Jeremy taking on the important role of the man who mentors and guides the guarded and nearly impervious façade that encapsulates Bruce Wayne.”

Eisenberg received Academy Award®, Golden Globe Award, Screen Actors Guild Award® and BAFTA Award nominations for his starring role as Mark Zuckerberg in David Fincher’s “The Social Network.” He also starred in Woody Allen’s “To Rome with Love” and Louis Letterier’s “Now You See Me.” He next appears in “The Double” and “Night Moves.”

Irons won the Academy Award® for his portrayal of Claus von Bülow in “Reversal of Fortune.” His work in the film also garnered him a Golden Globe Award. He won an Emmy Award and a Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Award® for his performance in the TV miniseries “Elizabeth I,” opposite Helen Mirren, and recently starred on the small screen as Rodrigo Borgia in Neil Jordan’s highly acclaimed Showtime series “The Borgias,” for which Irons earned a Golden Globe nomination. He was recently nominated for a SAG Award® for the PBS Great Performances television miniseries “The Hollow Crown,” for his performance as Henry IV.

Snyder’s film stars Henry Cavill, reprising his role as Superman/Clark Kent, Ben Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne, and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince. The film also reunites “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

The new film is currently being written by Chris Terrio, from a screenplay by David S. Goyer. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Wesley Coller, David S. Goyer and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

The film is set to open worldwide on May 6, 2016, and is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, Batman characters created by Bob Kane, and Wonder Woman created by William Moulton Marston, appearing in comic books published by DC Entertainment.

Jesse & Lex Luthor have been Trending Topics on twitter literally all day since the news came out o.O

• 2 weeks later...

^ I agree.

I hated the idea of Ben as Batman but now I'm coming around to that idea, I'll have to watch him when I see a trailer to fully judge and at least he's trying to get into shape. I honestly can't see Jesse as Lex, maybe because he always plays the same character in basically everything and I don't like him at all. I guess I shouldn't have had such high hopes for Bryan Cranston, maybe he can play some other villain to either Superman or Batman.