Bellazon

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Cult Icon

On 9/7/2015 at 0:39 PM, Michael* said:

When they have writers capable of reaching beyond the common and somewhat childish 'Batman cool, Superman dumb' mentality, stories of the pair going toe-to-toe can be really intriguing. Naturally though, in most situations it should end the same way - Batman eventually exhausts his bag of tricks, Superman proves his superiority without being a jerk about it.

Like Frank Miller? He always favours Batman in his Batman/Superman collaborations. 

I've gone through my boyfriend's comics that feature the two of them and I quite like the friendship the pair have. I'm interested to see how this will play out on the big screen.

On 9/11/2015 at 9:34 AM, KelAnne_ said:

Like Frank Miller? He always favours Batman in his Batman/Superman collaborations. 

I've gone through my boyfriend's comics that feature the two of them and I quite like the friendship the pair have. I'm interested to see how this will play out on the big screen.

Yeah. Well, sort of. :laugh:

Frank Miller is most definitely someone who naturally leans toward favouring Batman and isn't shy about expressing it in his stories. I believe he's on record as saying he doesn't believe that two characters with such vastly differing ideologies could ever be friends, hence putting them at odds. I think there are worse offenders on that front than him, though.

• 2 months later...

A brief teaser just appeared online, with another full-length trailer expected later this week. The popular theory is that the scene is a Bruce Wayne nightmare sequence, showing what he fears will happen in the future. Superman acting like Darth Vader on the Yavin IV made very little sense in the previous trailer, this would at least partially explain it.

That is a pretty nice trailer and the theory makes sense. Yeah, Frank is definitely pro Batman although I like his characterizations of both. Ironically Alan Moore (who is known more for a darker tone) seems more impartial. He wrote one of my favorite Superman stories of all time "Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" and yet his portrayals of the Joker and Barbara Gordan have become ingrained in comic and comic movie lore as well. I must admit that there is still a big part of me that thinks that Ben Afflack shouldn't be anywhere near a superhero movie, but he does have the Batman chin and at least here were no nipples on the suit :mellow:  .

I must say, what struck me most about the teaser was just how flimsy Batman's cowl seemed when Superman tore it off him. Even the rubbery Burton batsuit offered some protection, this one looks to be approaching Batman '66 levels of uselessness. Unless they're going full Adam West of course, in which case he probably has an anti-Last Son of Krypton spray in his utility belt. No Kryptonite required. :laugh:

Also, Superman seems to have super eye-makeup removing powers. :laugh:

It's interesting that Snyder has almost completely reversed the roles of his two leads here. In the comics, Superman is usually the golden boy and the beacon of hope, while Batman is the dark, flawed character with the questionable moral compass. On most of the promotional material we've seen seen so far, Superman seems darker and meaner than Batman, which to be fair, feels quite weird.

I liked the trailer alright, but honestly it gave away too much. Not that we all couldn't predict how the movie was going to go "We had eachother, FIGGHHHTTT, Now we have to come to eachother for the greater good" but I feel like it just spoiled alot of moments that would have been better without knowing going into the theater. I saw someone make a point that it was pretty lame too how they gave away Wonder Women's introduction in the trailer, it definitely won't have as much of an impact when seeing the film.

I too wish they'd saved that. Doomsday isn't enough of a hook for folks who wouldn't otherwise want to go, so all they're really doing is giving away a big plot point (if not the entire plot of the film), for no other reason than to pad out a trailer.

Probably safe to assume that he won't be getting his original backstory either, although to be honest, bearing in mind that he was always more of a plot device than a fully fledged character, I'm not too put out by that. What's strange is that they seem to have taken the origin of Bizarro and just sort of grafted Doomsday onto it instead. Which I guess could be quite interesting, but it'll also likely deprive this universe of a Bizarro proper. :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 26/12/2015 at 5:24 AM, CandleVixen said:

It seems to me they are following a heck of a lot of Frank Miller's two Dark Knight runs as plot for this movie. I'm just tossing that out.

Not sure how much Zack Snyder is going to source from Miller's written material, but he's certainly swiped all manner of visual cues. :laugh:

To be quite honest, I'm really hoping that they're still holding back a few choice twists, and that the stuff shown in the trailer isn't the entire plot, because it’s a pretty big reveal to show us the war beyond the original battle that most folks will be coming to see the movie for in the first place.

Overall, from the promotional material I've seen so far, the only thing I'm genuinely excited about at the moment is Wonder Woman. Even her inclusion (not to mention those of Aquaman and Flash) feels a bit superficial, like they're trying too hard to play catch-up with Marvel.