Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2014

Michael*

post-20523-0-1445995047-49081_thumb.jpg

Since it's almost time for that all-important draw, I hereby declare our official World Cup topic open!

A minority viewpoint I'd imagine, but I’d actually prefer it if England’s worst case 'group of death' scenario came true. Four years ago, we expected an easy ride in the opening stages, followed by Ghana in the second round, which of course went south after inept performances against USA and Algeria. So give me games against Brazil and Italy over Iran and Honduras in the groups any day - let’s be honest, we're not going to win the thing, might as well test our mettle against as many heavy hitters as we can before we have to bog off home.

If you so wish, fill in your own predictions here. :thumbsup:

Jackpot for Argentina and France. Decent draw for Belgium, raw deal for the USA.

Could have been worse for England, I don't think we're as doomed as many will no doubt predict. Uruguay are a team packing immense firepower and a track record of performing when the chips are down, but they're also an ageing side who lack a healthy process of renewal, and who required a play-off against Jordan to even reach the World Cup.

I prefer the mindset of fearing our opponents though, if I'm honest. There can be a fine line between confidence and complacency, and our players are far too often guilty of ending up on the wrong side of that line.

We did indeed get lucky. We can start the WC against Algeria, which in terms of games you can use to find your legs is pretty much the gold standard.

If we manage to win that one, then one more victory should guarantee our advancing to the second round.

The only thing I don't like is facing Capello's Russia. They will be hard to break down. And we'll probably need at least one point against them to avoid Germany in the round of 16.

So in my opinion I think Croatia has a chance of being the top 2 in Group A, Mexico isn't as a good of a team as Brazil and Croatia, especially with Croatia beginning to bounce back under Kovac (even if Bilic really made the team soar). And woopee to Croatia being in the first match with Brazil, I'm ridiculously eager for that, Croatian pride, I actually have some hope that it could result in a draw, even if Brazil is known to be one of the best teams ever to have been, it hasn't been performing as well lately and Croatia is very good and doing early goals, something that is vital in the early stages, and I wonder how Eduardo's gonna feel as he's Brazilian by birth (if he plays that is, and I'm certain he will)  :rofl: Bosnia and Argentina seem to be the strong ones for Group F. Group C will be Colombia and Greece for sure. Group D is a close call but I believe Italy and Uruguay will take it out. Group E should be France and Switzerland. Group G will be Germany and Portugal taking it out. For Group H I truly have no idea, Belgium is one for certain.

As for Group B who's commentary I've saved for last, may the odds be ever in their favour :ninja:(Personally rooting for NL and Spain but damn they're the first match in that group. But flick Australia out of the potential top 2 since they're pretty promising to suck against those teams)

• 4 months later...

World Cup is gonna be great and im really optimistic about Englands chances. I just cant get behind Roy Hodgson. Some of the decisions he makes are crazy and baffling at times.

Being manager of a national side is tough but some decisions seem obvious. 

Wanted to see Crouch go over Carroll but other than that, im happy with the squad. 

Been gettin in the spirit and watched One Night In Turin earlier. My first World Cup and ive been hooked since. I hope i get to see England win the world cup in my lifetime. 

So, much to the chagrin of Ashley Cole, Mario Gomez, Carlos Tevez and Samir Nasri's girlfriend, the squad announcements for the tournament are starting to roll in. Full lists and general overview can be found here...

Group A
Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B
Spain
Holland
Chile
Australia

Group C
Colombia
Greece
Ivory Coast
Japan

Group D
Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

Group E
Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

Group F
Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G
Germany
Ghana
Portugal
United States

Group H
Belgium
Algeria
Russia
South Korea

Balotelli, Cassano, Osvaldo. You'd have been hard pressed to think of a more eccentric forward line. :laugh:

Shame for Giuseppe Rossi though, he seems to have such rotten luck with major international tournaments. This makes it three in a row where he's been within touching distance of the squad, only to be left out at the last moment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/05/2014 at 9:03 PM, COP11 said:

And no Landon Donovan for the U.S.? That could be interesting.

I'm sure he'll Landon his feet. :ninja:

I was surprised to hear that Donovan hadn't made the cut, until I saw a photo of him at the provisional squad's training camp. Judging by the pictures, his levels of fitness and conditioning are well short of what they should be, so much so that it may have even been dangerous to send him into an intense four-week tournament in such a hot climate.

Incidentally, the new US away kit is all kinds of cool. :hehe:

post-20523-0-21477700-1401726518_thumb.j