Bellazon

Penny Dreadful

Prettyphile

post-1004-0-1446025603-27848_thumb.jpg

With casting still underway, Showtime has released the first teaser poster for the psychosexual horror series “Penny Dreadful,” coming in 2014.

The show is said to feature some of literature’s most frightening and iconic figures as they grapple with alienation in Victorian London. Josh Hartnett, Eva Green, Timothy Dalton, Rory Kinnear, Harry Treadaway and Reeve Carney star, with “Doctor Who’s” Billie Piper the most recent addition to the cast. She’ll play an Irish immigrant trying to escape a dark past, said Deadline.

“Penny Dreadful” is produced for Sky Atlantic and Showtime by Neal Street Productions and Desert Wolf Productions. Logan, Sam Mendes and Pippa Harris are exec producing.

Oscar-nominee Logan created and wrote the series with the first two episodes to be helmed by The Orphanage and The Impossible director Juan Antonio Bayona.

Shooting starts in October at Dublin’s Ardmore Studios.

Penny Dreadful is an upcoming psychosexual horror TV series created for Showtime by John Logan and executive produced by Logan and Sam Mendes. The series will weave together the origins of literary horror characters, such as Victor Frankenstein, Frankenstein's monster, Dorian Gray, and Count Dracula, as they grapple with their monstrous alienation in Victorian London.

The show was originally pitched to several US and UK channels, but eventually landed with Showtime,with Sky Atlantic as co-producer.

• Josh Hartnett as Ethan Chandler, a charming, brash, daring man of action who is unafraid of violence and more complicated than he likes to admit.
  • Eva Green as Vanessa Ives, an enigmatic, composed heroine who proves herself a force to be reckoned with.
  • Billie Piper as Brona Croft, an Irish immigrant seeking to escape her dark past.
  • Rory Kinnear
  • Timothy Dalton as Sir Malcolm, a hardened African explorer on a deeply personal quest.
  • Reeve Carney as Dorian Gray, a confident, mesmerizing, yet somewhat isolated man.
  • Harry Treadaway as Victor Frankenstein
  • Helen McCrory as Madame Kali, a spirtualist
  • Simon Russell Beale as Ferdinand Lyle, an eccentric Egyptologist.
  • Danny Sapani as Sembene, a longtime ally of Sir Malcolm.

• 2 years later...

Even with Eva Green front and centre in every episode, I was on the verge of giving up on it after the first season wrapped. Later on, I was persuaded to give some of the newer episodes a whirl and I'm glad I did, because they were a huge step up.

The prospect of introducing a different story arc every season is always appealing too. A lot of shows these days have the same plot continue year in and year out and it becomes tedious, especially in this genre.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, but for a moment I thought it was all an excuse because they were losing viewers season by season and the fact that it aired on Sunday when there's Game of Thrones didn't helped very much, so I thought it was cancelled but they said it was all decided from the beginning.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked season one, loved season 2 (witches :wub:) and loved season 3 as well.

I am feeling so sad for Vanessa :/ After everything she's been through I really think she was deserving a little bit of happiness.

John Clare too. He broke my heart  when he saw who was into that grave :sad:

Now, i am not really sure it's "the end"

I feel like we are going to have a new serie with new characters who arrived on S3 like

Catriona Hartdegen aka miss bad ass

Dr Seward

Dr Henry Jekyll

& dear Dracula

and Lily has a story to tell & a path to follow as well as Dorian Gray who was poorly use in the 3 seasons

Too many question, not enough answers.

John Clare must also find some kind of redemption.

And I like to think Vanessa is nicely waiting and floating into Dr Frankenstein bathtub...

2 > 3 > 1 for me :idk: 1 was really nice to get the background but 2 was just phenomenal :wub: 

I concur though Kiki, I really thought Dorian was gonna be this huge figure along side Lily and really he was well, just a puppy and along for the ride mostly until the end :/ Revamped version might be cool but to me I don't know if it has the same draw without the Characters they had here :idk: I'd still watch it either way

On 3/6/2017 at 2:03 AM, Limerlight said:

2 > 3 > 1 for me :idk: 1 was really nice to get the background but 2 was just phenomenal :wub: 

Same for me, the second season was by far and away my favourite. The show's third run had such fantastic potential, but got stuck in a rinse/repeat cycle on too many occasions. A lot of the characters were set up to have epic story arcs, only for most to end rather abruptly. Unfortunate really, because all the ingredients for a great season were there.

I'd recommend anyone on the fence about watching to give it a try though, if only to see Eva Green who's just mesmerising in every scene. :hehe: