Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

Michael*

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It was a disappointment. Only some of the segments with Dwight and Ava worked for me.

I found the entire "original" JGL segment underwhelming.

Part of the problem is that the visual style, which was groundbreaking at the time, has now been used in many other films, amongst them both "300" films.

Given that the first film came out over a decade ago, the visual style still looked remarkably fresh to me. I can't say the same about the material, though. The additional plot threads felt second rate, as if Miller just had them lying in a drawer somewhere. Eva Green is always a joy to watch, but the overall thrill has gone or at very least diminished. :(

I didn't see it, but to my understanding the first film took all the best stories from the serials.  The rest of the content was not nearly as striking when I last reviewed it.

The best issue not used was "A Dame to Kill for". Which is probably also the best section of the second film.

I do think this would have found more of an audience if they had started pre-production on the sequel immediately after the first film.

Had this gotten a 2007-2008 release, even if it was not any better than the finished product we got this time around, it would have still been able to ride the coattails of its predecessor.

By waiting nine years, any residual excitement for a follow-up had dissipated.

I honestly thought even "The Spirit" was a better film than the Sin City sequel, and it's not like I rate that movie very highly.

^

Yeah true.  Back then Jessica Alba was still a movie star...'-p

The "Spirit" fiasco sank Frank Miller for a few years. IIRC he was also caught with erratic behavior- an offshoot of success probably.  That may be a big reason why Sin city 2 took so long.