Bellazon

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

Michael*

post-20523-0-1446103430-15652_thumb.jpg

After an interminable wait, fans clamoring for the sequel to 2005′s Sin City were thrilled to learn that Sin City: A Dame To Kill For would see release on October 4, 2013. However, Collider reports that fans will have to wait just a little longer.

The Weinstein Company has announced that Robert Rodriguez’s long-awaited sequel has been pushed back nearly a year to August 22, 2014. Though fans will be disappointed, Rodriguez can at least be glad that he won’t have two movies in direct competition this October, as Machete Kills now has theaters all to itself. The Sin City sequel also has theaters to itself, for the moment, as A Dame To Kill For is currently the only major release scheduled for August 2014. Naturally, that will change, but it wouldn’t exactly be surprising if rival studios steered away from that specific premiere date to avoid competing with the film. The 2005 original was #1 at the box office, and took in $158.7 million worldwide off of a budget of $40 million.

Josh Brolin leads the all-star cast as a surgically-altered Dwight, the character played by Clive Owen in the first film, a man who is “hunted down by the only woman he ever loved, Ava Lord (Eva Green)”. The film also stars Mickey Rourke, Jessica Alba, Bruce Willis, Rosario Dawson, Jaime King, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Dennis Haysbert, Christopher Meloni, Jeremy Piven, Ray Liotta, Juno Temple, Stacy Keach, and Julia Garner.

Anyone excited about this one? Much as I enjoyed the first movie, the whopping delay in producing the sequel has pretty effectively dampened my anticipation, and it must now have broken some kind of record for most announced release dates that have been pushed back. It's a great shame as I think Sin City could easily have been a franchise that tore up the box office in the late 00's and early 10's. At this rate, I fear this second movie will come out with a whimper rather than the roar it should have. :unsure:

I remember Frank Miller had the option of directing Sin City 2 but he opted for 'The Spirit', and it ended being a failure. Then, after consulting for Synder's 300, Miller kind of disappeared..

I think I have a copy of 'A Dame to Kill for' somewhere but I've not done any more than browse through it. It's a mini-series within Sin city. Sin city (my rating 3/5) was new and fresh when it came out, and it borrowed a lot of stylistic conventions from Miller's comic. It's nearly panel for panel. I suspect that Sin City 2 didn't go through due to the probability that it would be a let down as the original Sin City took the cream from Miller's best noir stories.

Overall, I'm not really excited for it. Like 'Man of Steel', I'll wait and see. :)

Anyone excited about this one? Much as I enjoyed the first movie, the whopping delay in producing the sequel has pretty effectively dampened my anticipation, and it must now have broken some kind of record for most announced release dates that have been pushed back. It's a great shame as I think Sin City could easily have been a franchise that tore up the box office in the late 00's and early 10's. At this rate, I fear this second movie will come out with a whimper rather than the roar it should have. :unsure:

Because of Joseph being in it, I am excited for it, but otherwise, I don't know if I would have been.

The cast seems to be stellar Joe, Bruce, (Joseph and Bruce have such chemistry, glad to see them together again :chicken:) Juno, (girlcrush :drool: ) Eva and many more. Although I'm not that excited about Alba.

Still, the first movie is a classic, and usually sequels disappoint.

• 8 months later...

The JGL story is an original made for the movie, and was never a Miller comic. I'm a bit worried about that one, to be fair.

I rate "A Dame to Kill" for a bit higher than Cult Icon does, though I would agree with him that they have already used most of the best source material for the first movie.

Even Dwights introduction of Marv was lifted from A Dame.

Wow, nice. I totally forgot about this movie. A Dame To Kill For was the first Sin City story I ever read :)

Mickey Rourke's Marv is one of my favourite paper-to-screen realisations of a character - just amazing. Dat nose bridge.

Also fucking love Powers Boothe in these movies.. he's such a good fit.

I hadn't envisaged Gordon-Levitt being a particularly good fit for this movie, but I thought he was the best thing about the trailer. If Miller's additional plot threads stand up against the rest of the material, he may even steal the show.

They also re-cast Dwight. Though I know that many people weren't too fond of Clive Owen in that role.

I wasn't one of them.

I love Clive Owen but I thought they recast him only because the events of the film are pre-Dwight's facial reconstruction surgery? Clive still has a cameo as Dwight (post surgery), no?

And I have to say, I completely forgot about this movie (and about Jessica Alba).

I didn't know that Owen was returning as post-op Dwight. Thanks for that nugget of information. (y)

^You're welcome. And

Pretty amusing that RR is calling Alba ten times the actress she was at the time he shot the first Sin City.

Not very complimentary of her performance in that movie, surely!