Clark Bockelman
Thumbnail

fashion wiz

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don’t Know This Face? Just Wait

THE NEW YORK TIMES By GUY TREBAY

June 19, 2013

Clark Bockelman was studying geography in college when he was introduced to Bruce Weber, the photographer. One of the new faces of Calvin Klein, in Astoria, Queens. He has been called “a perfect American icon.” KARSTEN MORAN FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES

Mr. Bockelman, on the other hand, was a shoo-in. A towhead in the throwback manner of Hollywood heartthrobs, the 21-year-old Indiana farm boy had been studying geography at the University of Denver when an acquaintance introduced the 6-foot-2 prospect to Bruce Weber, the fashion photographer and established star maker, though someone of whom Mr. Bockelman had never heard.

“I had no idea who Bruce was, but I met him on Wednesday, and on Friday I shot my first editorial,” Mr. Bockelman said. “I figured I would look into modeling and maybe make a couple hundred dollars.”

The pictures that resulted from that shoot appeared in CR Fashion Book, a magazine produced by the editor and stylist Carine Roitfeld, another fashion insider with an established knack for finding and fostering talent (she was influential in establishing the career of Tom Ford).

“I’m working I wouldn’t say a ton, but I can pay my rent and buy groceries,” Mr. Bockelman said after the audition ended as, out of his earshot, the assembled expert unanimously agreed to make his “hold” an “exclusive” and set in motion plans to ship him off to Milan.

“Clark is a perfect American icon,” said Mr. Shahid, who was introduced to the model by Mr. Weber, a frequent collaborator of his. “He’s like something from the 1950s, this masculine blond type who reminds you of Troy Donahue and Tab Hunter,” he added.

“Women love him, gay guys love him, and straight guys want to be him,” Mr. Shahid said. “We’re in this ‘Made in the U.S.A.’ moment. How can he possibly go wrong?”

post-60960-0-50381700-1371784914_thumb.j

post-60960-0-92676400-1371784964_thumb.j