Bellazon

Leona Binx Walton
Thumbnail

FashionDream

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

id profile

Cruising on to the circuit this autumn/winter 13, Binx is the easy breezy, future cover star that that left us wanting. Having first been spotted at her parent’s poolside six years ago, the teasing teen left the industry waiting before bouncing on to her board and rolling in to our world with a mischievous glint in her eye. Still at school, her long limbs and pretty, tomboyish looks made her an instant favourite and put her front of the ‘girls will be boys’ class. Racking up exclusives at Marc Jacobs and Versace in Milan, appearing at Miu Miu in Paris, and Giles and Sister by Sibling in London, her debut season was a procession of hits. Eager for more, we asked the new face some Q’s while Mischa Nottcut styled her up on the skatepark and i-D photographer Piczo snapped away.

What’s your earliest memory?
I remember everyone in Hawaii left their slippers out on the porch and I used to go around the village and swap random pairs. It didn’t go unnoticed, there was even a newspaper article about me!

You grew up in both Hawaii and Tennessee, do you consider both home?
Definitely. I consider Hawaii the place where the memories of all of my family were in fact of a family. Where we got each other in trouble and were just worried about when the next camping trip was. Just being a kid where as Tennessee was more of my growing up years and teaching myself what kind of person I wanted to become. So both were a huge part of growing up, that’s why I say both when I’m asked where I’m from.

What posters were on your bedroom walls as a child?
Well, that was more of my sister’s things. I think all I had was my soccer trophies and pictures of my mom, Tati, Basil, Sonny, who are my brothers and sisters.

How were you scouted?
I was scouted at my mom’s school reunion by the pool with my sister.

I read that upon being discovered you chose to wait for three years before pursuing a modelling career. Why did you wait? I was more into being like my brothers, prancing around in heels didn’t exactly spark a flame in my sneakers. I was young and wanted to be a kid. I just didn’t think about it. It just took some time to have a change of heart I guess.

Do you think you’d be a dancer if you weren’t a model? Definitely not, HAHAHA! I am not nearly good enough. I dance to express my love of music or to keep my brain busy but that’s about it. And I’m still in school, not yet graduated but soon will be!

You recently had a makeover which included a short, sharp cut, how did it feel having such a dramatic change? Man, I was hella nervous but when it was happening I didn’t feel any kind of way. After it was done I was pretty stoked about everything and the place I got it cut in Nashville “Trim” was pretty amazing at cutting it exactly how I wanted it. I wouldn’t have wanted to go anywhere else.

What’s been your career highlight to date? Having the privilege of working with Marc Jacobs, Katie Grand, and Michelle L. for my first show was pretty epic. They’re all such amazing people and I will never forget what they all did and still do for me!

How long have you skated?
Well I actually longboard. I have tried to skateboard but long boarding is more my thing. I got my first one in sixth grade on Kauai. My brother busted his *** on the first day I got it. But yeah long boarding is more of just enjoying the ride, enjoying getting to the destination. The feeling to just cruise is really just a nice get away.

Aside from longboard, what do you do for fun?
There’s soccer and swimming, chilling with friends or cruising with family, dancing or making a fool of myself really. Just whatever pops into my head at the time.