Bellazon

Saints Row

donbot

I haven't played either of the first two games, but Saints Row: The Third was an absolute blast, and ridiculously over the top. An announce trailer just came out the other day for IV, which is due out end of August. Seems as though what was originally planned as an expansion for III has been rebadged and expanded to be a whole new game now. Looks a bit more-of-the-same, with some small additions (and seemingly superpowers), but I guess it's not all bad since I enjoyed III so much. Time will tell exactly what it is though, and whether or not it's worth the price tag :idk:

This should be good. In many ways, I felt the third game was less ambitious than the second (which was such a huge step up from the original), but it was still excellent fun. If they return to the wider variety of customisation and drop the idea of selecting missions on your PDA thingy, I'll put the fourth installment down as a winner. :hehe:

:rofl:

Saints Row 4 features a dubstep gun, makes you President of the USA

How do you top the ridiculously unhinged Saints Row: The Third? Pretty easily, in fact. You top it by adding superpowers, by making the player President of the United States of America, and by giving them a dubstep gun. What’s a dubstep gun, you ask? Well, obviously it’s a gun that fires a hot blast of Skrillex, causing civilians to dance like idiots and any cars caught in the blast to bounce around on their hydraulics, having fallen victim to the irresistible power of the wub. Also there are aliens. More details lie beneath the…drop.

As VG247′s interview with producer Jim Boon explains, Saints Row 4 started life as an expansion to the third game, before being spun-off into its own, larger thing. You’re the President and the leader of the Saints, and you have to fend off an alien invasion after the ‘Zen’ decide to take over Earth.

In addition to a range of superpowers – telekinesis, freezing, super-strength and agility – you’ll have access to a number of OTT, customisable weapons, including a head-popping laser beam and – ah yes – that famous dubstep gun. In the interview, Jim explains its origins.

“For example, the Dubstep Gun was literally on this email chain going around the office asking for weapon ideas. Someone had just written ‘Dubstep Gun’. We didn’t even know what the hell it was, but it sounded amazing. We knew there was something there so we just came up for more ideas around it.”

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There's been a bit of a shitstorm around the game in Australia. It was refused classification here because of a mission where you're incentivised to take drugs to positive effect. After a failed appeal, Deep Silver then re-submitted a censored version of the game, which has passed with a lesser rating. Then on top of that the release of the game was delayed by a few weeks - it's still not out for another week or so. That drug mission seemed to be the only sticking point, but there's still a bit of ambiguity as to whether that's the only thing they cut/censored.

I got a friend from Europe to gift me the game on Steam, which has traditionally meant that I'd be getting the uncensored version, but there's even been speculation about that due to some vague but troubling responses from Valve when people have asked them the question. So I'm anxiously waiting :/

I heard it had been granted classification with censorship, but I didn't realise it was being delayed too. :/

Given their wacky, over the top nature, it's a bit surprising to me that a Saints Row game would even be taken that seriously. Plus, in the internet age, the uncensored version will surely start doing the rounds within a week of release anyway. It hardly seems worth trying to enforce any sort of ban.

I know - it's all the more ridiculous since we only just (finally) got an R18+ rating for video games established this year. Previously ratings would only go as high as MA15+, causing the occasional game like Left 4 Dead 2 to be refused classification and making Valve create a 'Low Violence' version. Thankfully that's no longer the case, but it still wasn't enough to get the game through.

I haven't seen it, but from my understanding the issue is with a Shaundi mission where you take some sort of 'alien drugs' to give you/enhance your superpowers. I don't really see how that's much different to say the plasmids you inject into your arm in Bioshock :cain:

• 4 weeks later...