Bellazon

2014 SI Swimsuit

slowen

Is she really that big in the States??

yes, kate upton is big in terms of popularity.  but emily is now as popular as kate was before she got her first cover (see google trends graph below).  also, in the last few months esquire readers picked emily, not kate, as their woman of the year (65 to 35 over the megapopular jennifer lawrence).  so while kate is vastly more popular and well-known, it could be that  SI would opt to have someone whose star is rising rather than go with the most popular girl year after year after year ad infinitum. 

after all, if they went purely on popularity alone, we'd be sitting around expecting kathy ireland's 26th consecutive cover, as she sold more issues than anyone before her.  instead, we got judit masco.

k9Y57cR.png

i know emily's going to be in it.  i was talking about the cover.  try to resist your knee-jerk response at mocking every post i make.

anyway, that kathy ireland reference made me think they're going to have a ton of models in this year's issue.  in the first 24 years, SI never had more than 7 models in each issue.  for the 25th anniversary, they more than doubled it to 16. 

in the past decade the number of models has been hovering around 17-20, with around 5-7 rookies.  they could be doubling the rookie class this year, so figure 12-15 veterans and maybe 10-14 rookies, they could end up with the most models ever, even before counting the "all-stars".

The Swimsuit edition is one of the few magazines that I ever buy these days. The hotness/page or hotness/$ ratio is just a great value. There's something to be said about the convenience of quickly leafing through it and seeing a rookie or old favorite catch your eye. Of course I also save pictures from it that get posted online, because it's also great to look at some of these pics on a big screen rather than in the pages of a magazine. Anyway, I hope the best for SI on their 50th birthday and I hope that enough people buy the magazine to make it viable into many more years. 

Dominique Piek is at yet another SI event tonight for the Super Bowl.  Hard to believe she'd be so involved with SI if she wasn't in the issue again. 

Oh my goodness, I am hoping this is true.  I think Dominique is in my top 5-10 SI models of all-time.  Obviously, not in terms of her resume, but just in terms of how attractive I think she is.

i know emily's going to be in it.  i was talking about the cover.  try to resist your knee-jerk response at mocking every post i make.

anyway, that kathy ireland reference made me think they're going to have a ton of models in this year's issue.  in the first 24 years, SI never had more than 7 models in each issue.  for the 25th anniversary, they more than doubled it to 16. 

in the past decade the number of models has been hovering around 17-20, with around 5-7 rookies.  they could be doubling the rookie class this year, so figure 12-15 veterans and maybe 10-14 rookies, they could end up with the most models ever, even before counting the "all-stars".

I agree with you, slowen.  The most rookies ever was in 2000, when there were 13 of them.  That's also the year with the highest model count overall - excluding the years with all-stars - at 22.  So, it's not unthinkable that SI will have a dozen rookies and 12-18 veterans, which could have them near 30 models, not including the all-stars, of course.  

I still think that the cover will be a group shot with several of the "still young enough" all-stars.  Think Kate, Heidi, Bar, Brooklyn, etc.  So, no, I'm not talking about Cheryl Tiegs or Kathy Ireland.  Of course, there's no evidence of Brooklyn being in the magazine this year (I don't think), but I'm just giving you my thoughts on what I think is the most likely cover.

One last reminder --- The tournament that I've been running over in the competitions forum is in the final match.  Marisa vs. Elle.  So, go vote, if you'd like.

Do some of you actually think Emily R will be on the cover?  :idk: Nonsense I'm sorry, it would technically be her first year and I don't recall any rookies being on the cover for the past few years, if they were to put her on the cover (which I don't think there is a big chance of), she definitely would not be the sole cover girl and there would be more girls on the cover. 

What will be interesting to see is how SI (and everyone) adjusts when print magazines are obsolete in less than 10 years and the idea of a "cover" no longer makes any sense. This is especially true for mags like SI, whose target demographic cares less and less about who gets the cover because they can just DL the pics. Even now, with the publicity spike of a famous girl like Kate, the idea of a cover reveal seems increasingly tired and glossed over on the more "bro-centric" corners of the web. They don't seem to care that Kate's on the cover, they mostly care that there's new content of Kate Upton.

"bro-centric"? You can just say it: picture forums, with a focus on female celebrities, mostly visited by straight dudes like me. Many post just not-so-subtle innuendo which gets old fast, but a few stay classy and appreciate the looks.

I personally do not get the overall infatuation with Kate Upton. I suppose she is still affordable and profitable to bank on, which is why she is getting screentime (or facetime or whatever). My personal impression of the opinions in aforementioned forums about Kate Upton's status is that she is as beautiful and nice as the next one, but it's like everybody knows that SI plays to her advantage, which is that they can often re-touch the images for that great look of her upper half. Nobody is going to complain about her, but many people don't get her talked up "status" either, especially since she is trying to make some moves to Filmland and AFAIK as soon as that happens they get dropped instantly.

Do some of you actually think Emily R will be on the cover?  I%20dont%20know.gif Nonsense I'm sorry, it would technically be her first year and I don't recall any rookies being on the cover for the past few years, if they were to put her on the cover (which I don't think there is a big chance of), she definitely would not be the sole cover girl and there would be more girls on the cover.

exactly... she will NOT be in the cover this year.. first she have to be a rookie wich is going to happen but this year definitely not on the cover.