Bellazon

Interstellar (2014)

Lkjh

• 4 weeks later...

I read the leaked screenplay for this and, even if it's been edited majorly since then, I anticipate this film being weird as hell. Not in an avant garde sort of way, but just in a Nolan way, and will probably spawn even more online explanatory charts than Inception did.

• 2 months later...

The beginning was quite typical and boring (first 45 min), then it became exciting, but sometimes sad. Very long movie but the time went fast, so I guess this means too that I liked it. The music, some scenes and some actors were spectacular. And I loved the end of it. I almost cried too sometimes :p. So it was great actually. 

Christopher Nolan knows how to make an amazing film. Both story wise and visually. Acting was top notch. Jessica Chastain and Anne Hathaway were brilliant. Matthew was great too. Some parts kind of made me question the plot. Almost like there was plot holes. But still its a top notch movie and will go down as a space classic.
9/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I thought this was a great movie, I do understand why some people have said it's long and boring but it's not an action movie. This movie requires patience, it has a great story to it with great visuals. I will be adding to my favs and playlist.

• 3 weeks later...

I left feeling a little unsatisfied, if I'm honest. In a story dealing mostly with the bleakness of a post-apocalyptic world and our struggle to survive there, the convenience of the way everything was resolved just sat a bit uncomfortably with me. There was a lot to like about it, the emotional stuff seemed pretty genuine and the sheer scope and ambition of the project was positively awe-inspiring at times, but I wouldn't put it up there with the best of Nolan's output.

• 1 year later...

I liked the Space exploration/space travel parts of the film a great deal- it's excellent.   Visuals are incredible!

Not a fan of the story on earth or some of the interpersonal relationships.   I felt that there could have been much more.

This is Nolan's prequel comic, which gives more information about Dr. Mann:

A must read!

http://imgur.com/gallery/x7wDC

XCdqeUs.jpg

Overall, the landscape of film would be a lot less interesting without Nolan, and there are films much, much worse than this that seem to generate far less ire. I still have quite conflicting thoughts on it, though. Visually, it had pretty much everything a cinema-goer could want. Story-wise, there are things in it that objectively, aren't brilliant, but equally, I was affected by some of it in a way that I find is quite rare these days.

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Overall, the landscape of film would be a lot less interesting without Nolan, and there are films much, much worse than this that seem to generate far less ire. I still have quite conflicting thoughts on it, though. Visually, it had pretty much everything a cinema-goer could want. Story-wise, there are things in it that objectively, aren't brilliant, but equally, I was affected by some of it in a way that I find is quite rare these days.

I though the film was well liked by the public?  didn't follow these developments when the film came out.

I feel like there was a potential to make a perfect film and I don't like the "on earth" setting.  A 1930s dust bowl farm is just not compelling.  It was hard to suspend disbelief.  Didn't really like any of the actors except Matt M and Mike Caine.  Anne H was OK.

But the space stuff was just so, so good!

The reviews were mildly-to-mostly positive and a lot of people did like it, but the ones who didn’t were very vocal, especially online. Nolan of course has his fair share of detractors and at that point in the hype cycle, the backlash was in full swing, as was the backlash to the backlash. :laugh:

I suppose after The Dark Knight Rises had more of a lukewarm response than Nolan's past work, viewers started to pick up on his tendencies a bit more, with some rejecting them. By now, he's a bit like Quentin Tarantino in the sense that most folks probably already know if they'll like one of his films based on how they receive his style.

Even if this one didn't hold together quite as well as I would have liked, there were parts of it that were just so wonderfully inventive. I still think down the road, if he isn't already, Nolan will be highly respected as a filmmaker who proved that mainstream audiences don't just want popcorn fare.