Bellazon

Ian Anthony Dale
Thumbnail

MauiKane

IAN ANTHONY DALE

th_cite_note-1.jpg

Ian Anthony Dale (born July 3, 1978) is an American actor. Born in Saint Paul, Minnesota, he attended college in Madison, Wisconsin. He is of Japanese, French and English descent.

Movies

In 2004, Dale appeared in the film Mr. 3000 as "Fukuda", alongside Bernie Mac, Angela Bassett and Chris Noth. His next movie role was in 2007's The Bucket List as an instructor to Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman's characters in one of the scenes. He followed that up with a minor part in The Hangover in 2009, and did the independent filmLollipops in the same year.

In 2010, he starred in the Tekken movie as Kazuya Mishima and in Flying Lessons.

That same year, Dale portrayed Scorpion in the short film of Mortal Kombat: Rebirth on YouTube.[1] The film paved way for a web series, Mortal Kombat: Legacy, in which Dale reprised his role. He will play Scorpion again in the second season.

Television

Dale had his first television break on a 2002 episode of Fastlane. Since then he has appeared in episodes of Angel, JAG, Las Vegas, Charmed, 24, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Minds, Dollhouse and Cold Case.

Major television roles have included recurring character Davis Lee on Surface, and Detective Christopher Choi on Day Break. Both series were only broadcast for one season and did not return for a second.

Dale was a series regular in the NBC drama series The Event, which premiered in Fall 2010. The series has since been cancelled.

His most recent recurring role is on "Hawaii Five-0" as Adam Noshimuri.

(Wikipedia)

• 4 months later...

Ian Anthony Dale Joins TNT 'Murder'

By Nellie Andreeva

May 24. 2013

zPeRIJ9.png

Ian Anthony Dale (The Hangover, NBC’s The Event) has joined the cast of TNT’s drama pilot Murder In The First as a series regular. Co-created by Steven Bochco and Eric Lodal, the project is a murder mystery that centers on San Fransisco PD homicide detectives Terry Seagrave (Taye Diggs) and Hildy Mulligan (Kathleen Robertson), as they take on a case that seems more like a maze. Dale will play Lieutenant Jim Koto, a no-nonsense homicide police lieutenant with movie star good looks who is Hildy and Terry’s superior. The actor, repped by A Management, Kohner Agency and Derek Kroeger, is recurring on CBS’ Hawaii Five-O as Adam Noshimuri, son to head of the Yakuza and boyfriend of Five-O officer Kono Kalakaua (Grace Park).

www.deadline.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

St. Paul native Ian Anthony Dale gets advice from cop brother for TNT show

By Amy Carlson Gustafson

July 5, 2015

Ian Anthony Dale had dreams of being a major league baseball player, but an injury led him away from the field and onto the stage. For more than a decade, Dale’s been carving out a successful acting career in Los Angeles.

The 36-year-old St. Paul native is currently on TNT’s new drama “Murder in the First.” In the fall, he will be seen on a couple of episodes of the CW’s “Hart of Dixie” and also returning to his role on CBS’ “Hawaii Five-O.”

Dale, who grew up in St. Paul’s Midway area and attended Cretin-Derham Hall High School, remembers catching the acting bug during his junior year.

“My friends were encouraging me to audition for a school play and I thought it sounded like a horrible idea,” he said on the phone from Los Angeles. “I was horribly shy and insecure. But I went ahead and did and was petrified throughout the process. I ended up getting a part that led to my discovery of theater.”

At the time, baseball was his true passion. During his senior year he had a shoulder injury, but continued to play. He helped his team snag the 1996 state championship.

“I decided to play through the pain instead of getting surgery and so I did irreparable damage to my shoulder,” he said. “I tried to get surgery and rehab it and play in college, but it never came back. I was fortunate to make the discovery of theater roughly around the same time my baseball career was coming to an end, so I had a perfect new hobby to put my passion into.”

After graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Dale moved to Los Angeles, working on set design before moving in front of the camera.

In “Murder in the First,” which debuted last month, Dale plays police lieutenant Jim Koto, a complicated man who straddles the line between cop and politician. When it comes to getting advice on the part, Dale turns to his brother Sgt. Robert Dale, a homicide detective in the Minneapolis Police Department.

“I’ve played a handful of detectives throughout my career and every time I do and I have a question regarding anything technical or authenticity, he’s the first person I call,” Dale said.

“I’ve always been fascinated with his career and what he does. He’s always been forthcoming in sharing with me his experiences, so I have a direct line to the psychology of somebody in law enforcement and it’s so invaluable. He’ll also be the first person to tell me when I do something wrong. It’s best to check with him beforehand to make sure I’m always doing it right and being authentic.”

On “Hawaii Five-O” his character, Adam Noshimuri, is attempting to legitimize the family business and having a steamy romance with Grace Park’s Kono Kalakaua.

“It’s the first time in my career I’ve really gotten to play a romantic lead,” he said. “For an Asian-American actor that’s kind of a benchmark — it doesn’t happen everyday.”

Dale was to return to Minnesota over the Fourth of July holiday to visit family and friends. He says his parents — Jack, who was on the 1968 Olympic hockey team and also played for the Minnesota Gophers, and his mom, Olga, who was born in Japan and has worked in the nursing profession for more than 50 years — were always supportive of his decision to pursue acting. Aside from some business in the Twin Cities, he will be hanging out with his family — Mom and Dad now live in Cannon Falls — during his short time home.

“When I come home, I’m typically a homebody,” he said. “I see my parents and family so seldom now, I just want to spend as much time with them as possible.”

twincities.com