Bellazon

Grant Gustin
Thumbnail

MauiKane

GRANT GUSTIN

post-20251-0-1446077703-71132_thumb.jpg

Thomas Grant Gustin(born January 14, 1990), better known as Grant Gustin, is an American theater and television actor from Norfolk, Virginia. He is best known for his role in Glee as Sebastian Smythe of The Dalton Academy Warblers.

During his high school years, Grant attended the Governor's School for the Arts program in Norfolk, Virginia for Musical Theatre. In 2008, he graduated from Granby High Schoo land went on to attend the BFA Music Theatre Program at Elon University in North Carolina for two years.

He left school to take the role of Baby John in the Broadway Revival Tour of West Side Story, and performed with the tour from its opening on September 30, 2010 through September 23, 2011.

On November 8, 2011, he debuted on the television series Glee as Sebastian Smythe, an openly gay member of the Dalton Academy Warblers. Gustin won the recurring role of Sebastian, a promiscuous and scheming character, after "an exhaustive, weeks-long casting search". He originally auditioned for a role as a tap dancer, but did not get the part. However, Ryan Murphy kept him in mind. He began filming the role early on Monday, September 26, 2011, after having finished his final West Side Story performance the Friday night before.

Gustin began filming A Mother's Nightmare, a telefilm for the Lifetime network, at the end of May 2012. The project also stars actresses Annabeth Gish and Jessica Lowndes, and is being shot in Canada.

On July 11, 2012, it was announced that Grant Gustin landed the lead role in the indie film, Affluenza.

On September 13, 2013, it was announced that Gustin would play Barry Allen in the second season of Arrow. He was initially supposed to appear in three episodes, the last one serving as the backdoor pilot  for a potential spin-off Flash series. However, the backdoor pilot plan was dropped in favor of a stand-alone pilot, titled The Flash.

(Wikipedia)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

'Glee' Star Grant Gustin Home From Hospital After Biking Accident

http://www.intouchweekly.com

Glee star Grant Gustin isn’t exactly singing a happy tune this week.

Following a bicycle accident that resulted in an overnight hospital stay, the actor— who plays Sebastian Sythe of The Dalton Academy Warblers on the hit show— is finally home and resting.

post-20251-0-1446077722-29713_thumb.jpg

That same night, the star was thanking his fans for their support. And on Tuesday, Grant was released from the hospital and took to Twitter to share the good news.

Finally home in my own bed with Jett. Time for endless rest. Can't thank
 enough for everything and everyone for checking on me

post-20251-0-1446077722-32521_thumb.png

— Grant Gustin (@grantgust) 

Considering the star was constantly tweeting throughout the NBA finals on Tuesday night, despite the fact that he was “drugged,” we have a feeling he’ll be just fine… though his dog might not be.

Jett's the worst anxiety dog ever. He's scared of my sling and mad I was gone all night. He refuses to sit with me. I still love him.
— Grant Gustin (@grantgust) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

CW’s The Flash – First Look At Grant Gustin’s Costume – Photo

by Nick Roman on February 28, 2014 at 2:38 pm

The Flash is coming this fall to The CW, with production on the pilot scheduled to begin next week. This means details will start rolling in sooner rather than later, such as the first look at Grant Gustin’s costume as the iconic DC superhero.

Designed by three-time Oscar winner Colleen Atwood, who designed Stephen Amell’s costume for Arrow, looks to be a bit darker in color scheme than the costume looks in the comic books. It also appears to be made with a tougher kind of leather than your average superhero costume, to where it almost resembles Captain America’s costume. Of course, it’s hard to tell for sure since the picture is merely a headshot. But it’s an interesting look into what we can expect from the upcoming series. Check out the photo below:

post-20251-0-1446077704-45901_thumb.jpg

www.rickey.org

• 7 months later...

'The Flash': Grant Gustin On Ratings, Barry’s Secret Identity & The Crossover With 'Arrow'

By Jolie Lash

Access Hollywood

October 22, 2014

"The Flash" premiered earlier this month to big ratings on The CW, but Grant Gustin was so deep into filming his show, he wasn't sitting at his computer waiting to see the numbers.

"First of all, I don't really understand the ratings process much and I don't really care too, that much," the actor told reporters on location for "The Flash" last Friday in Vancouver, as he prepared to shoot scenes with recurring guest star Wentworth Miller. "It sounds like a lot of people watched and it was really, really exciting. And we were on set when it was premiering and kind of checking Twitter when we could and [there was] just a lot of positive feedback which, I don't know, we weren't sure what to expect. We're on Episode 10 now and really deep in it, so yeah, it was nice to start to hear feedback."

post-20251-0-1446077705-60681_thumb.jpg

post-20251-0-1446077705-6619_thumb.jpg

post-20251-0-1446077705-68804_thumb.jpg

"The Flash" series follows Grant's character, Barry, a young CSI, who ends up with super-speed after being hit by a bolt of lightning, following an incident at S.T.A.R. Labs. Barry has been trying to balance his work life with his need to use his super powers to help others.

Asked by one reporter about Barry balancing his two identities – Barry and The Flash – and if his employers might to start to get suspicious about his disappearances, Grant said his character has -- so far -- been able to manage it without anyone catching on.

"No suspicions really yet, because Barry's always kind of been slightly absentminded at work anyway," Grant said, of whether his employers have noticed something is up (outside of Jesse L. Martin's Joe, who is in on the secret).

"So I don't think there are any new suspicions from his co-workers or anything like that, but there's definitely new challenges with balancing everything and there's some give and some take, and some sacrifices are made," he added.

This Tuesday's episode of the show will introduce Robbie Amell as Ronnie Raymond, but in a few weeks' time, another Amell will return to "The Flash" – "Arrow's" Stephen Amell, who plays Oliver Queen/The Arrow, as the two shows crossover into each other's worlds.

"I was just talking about this [on Thursday] with a friend and just how Oliver and Barry are so different and me and Stephen are just really different and we really get along outside of work. And it's been fun to -- Barry and Oliver are kind of butting heads, but we're seeing them learn how to work together," Grant told reporters of filming the crossover with Stephen, who previously appeared in "The Flash" pilot, and whose show he appeared on in Season 2. "But yeah, it's really funny 'cause they're so different. The conversations they have are hilarious."

"The Flash" continues Tuesdays at 8/7c on The CW.

accesshollywood.com

The Flash:  Grant Gustin Gets Up To Speed On Superhero Series

Part One

By Morgan Jeffery

October 27, 2014

Hot on the heels of a smash-hit US debut, The Flash is sprinting his way onto UK screens - the DC Comics adaptation starring Grant Gustin comes to Sky1 tomorrow night.

post-20251-0-1446077706-70029_thumb.jpg

Spun off from the super-successful Arrow - returning for its third season on Sky this Thursday (October 30) - The Flash sees Gustin reprise his role of Barry Allen, an upstanding police tech who is transformed into the Fastest Man Alive by a freak accident. 

Before its UK launch, read 8 fast facts about the series courtesy of its star, who talks crossovers, his love for Superman and DC's expanding TV universe.

1. Grant didn't think he had a shot at playing The Flash

post-20251-0-1446077706-7352_thumb.jpg

"I got to my first audition - there were a bunch of guys five-to-ten years older than me, with blond hair like he has in the comics. They were big and buff - and that's not me! I physically felt like I had no chance of getting it, so I just wanted to make Barry as human as I possibly could."

2. DC's New 52 series of The Flash serves as the show's chief inspiration

post-20251-0-1446077706-74973_thumb.jpg

"I started reading the comics as soon as I got the audition. I had never been a huge comic book reader [but] I've always loved the genre - I loved the Christopher Reeve Superman franchise as a kid and that created [in me] a life-long love for Superman.

"But I never read comics, so when I got the audition, I started at the beginning and I quickly realized that The Flash had been around even longer than I had realized and there was even more information on him than I could have ever imagined.
"I realized reading everything is probably impossible, and I ended up kind of settling on the new 52 series 
because it felt the most current, and it felt like what they were going for [with this series]. It was the Barry that I could relate to and connect with the most."

3. Grant first saw the finished Flash suit at the same time we did

post-20251-0-1446077706-82269_thumb.jpg

"I actually was never self-conscious about the suit. I knew that when I finally had it on, it would be one of those things about the job that made it feel real. Whenever I put the suit on, it's like, 'Oh yeah, I'm playing The Flash' which is awesome and surreal. 

"I never really saw the finished product until those first pictures started coming out that Warner Bros released - that was the first time I really saw myself in it. I have this weird disconnection from it. Sometimes I really don't even see myself in the suit, I just see The Flash."

4. John Wesley Shipp plays Barry's father on The Flash - and has a past association with the character. 

post-20251-0-1446077706-85235_thumb.jpg

"Anybody that loves this character and has followed this character through the ages knows of John's show and they respect John and his show and they're really excited to have him be a part of it and John is really excited to be a part of it.
"It's a nice nod to that series that sadly only had one season, it probably could have had more. But he played The Flash 24 years ago which would have been a much, much different experience than the experience I'm having."

digitalspy.com

The Flash:  Grant Gustin Gets Up To Speed On Superhero Series

Part Two

By Morgan Jeffery

October 27, 2014

5. The Flash might be a spinoff but it's very different to Arrow

post-20251-0-1446077716-25208_thumb.jpg

"I think it's just less apologetic for what it is than Arrow is.  Arrow, they really wanted to make as grounded and as realistic as possible coming out of the gates and it's been building into a comic book show.

"Right out of the gates, we are what we are, this is The Flash - he is a superhero, this is a comic book, and we're embracing it and enjoying it."

6. An upcoming crossover between the two shows will be, in Grant's words, "ginormous"

post-20251-0-1446077716-34013_thumb.jpg

"It's a two-night crossover - a couple of Arrow characters will be in Central City, and then on their episode it's me and a couple of characters from our show that will be in Starling City.

"They definitely flow together, but at the same time, if you only watch Arrow or you only watch The Flash they both make sense without watching the other. But it's more enjoyable obviously to go on the journey with both shows this season.

"There's a huge fight in The Flash crossover episode that involves me and the Arrow - Stephen Amell - so it's a lot of fun. I think it's definitely going to be a fan favorite as far as all the episodes are concerned."

7. If Grant could have any DC hero appear on The Flash, it would be Superman

post-20251-0-1446077716-40113_thumb.jpg

"It would be just so epic to have Superman on either of these shows. I don't think that's ever gonna happen - he's one of Warner Bros' big feature babies - but that would be cool if we could have him. But it won't happen!"

8. DC's television universe is expanding - and Grant is excited about it

post-20251-0-1446077716-4254_thumb.jpg

"I don't know how DC have somehow monopolised the TV world but they have, and they're doing a really good job at it. I mean, it's the same quality that's in the features and it's pretty impressive.

"We'll already have four DC shows on the air and potentially even more - with Supergirl coming to the air and we've got Teen Titans happening.

"It sounds like they just want to do more and more with the potential of crossing them over. It's pretty exciting!"

digitalspy.com

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Grant Gustin Beat Out Some Strong Competition at the Teen Choice Awards

in 'Breakout Star' Win

by Stephen Adamson

Posted on

August 17th, 2015

post-20251-0-1446077717-53054_thumb.jpg

Grant Gustin, of former Glee fame and star of The Flash as Barry Allen/The Flash came out a victor at the Teen Choice Awards on Sunday night. He won an award for Choice TV: Breakout Star, beating out Candice Patton (Iris West) along with Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin), Yara Shahidi (Blackish), Jussie Smolett and Yazz (both Empire actors).

Here is what Gustin had to say in his acceptance speech, which was taped:

"Hey guys, thank you to everyone that voted for me for Choice: Breakout Star. I'm so sorry I couldn't be there today, but I'm up in Vancouver making more of The Flash. I have the most fun job in the world and this was unexpected."

Pretty big news, especially given the competition he had to face. Listen to Gustin's acceptance speech in the video below.

moviepilot.com

• 1 month later...

Grant Gustin Looks Forward to a New Love and Not 'Always Being the One That's Crying' on The Flash

By Chancellor Agard

10/13/2015

fJdCzEn.jpg

There's a new Flash in town.

In Tuesday's new episode of The Flash, Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) meets Jay Garrick (Teddy Sears), the Flash from a parallel Earth who has traveled to our Earth to warn Team Flash about the villain Zoom (voiced by Tony Todd) and to help them save the world. At first, Barry isn't willing to accept Jay's assistance.

"Barry and Jay don't necessarily hit it off right away," Gustin tells PEOPLE. "Barry's a little bit apprehensive just because of how things turned out with his last mentor in season one, obviously with Dr. Wells."

c8ylGYS.jpg

Teddy Sears (as Jay Garrick) on The Flash

Cate Cameron / The CW

However, Barry eventually comes around to Jay, and Jay becomes a mentor who teaches him new abilities that will help him defeat the metahumans Zoom has sent from Earth 2 to kill Barry. Gustin, 25, is particularly excited for fans to see one of the new skills he learns in Tuesday's episode – the ability to use the surge of electricity in his body to throw lightning.

Patty Spivot (Shantel VanSanten), Barry's new love interest, will also make her debut in "Flash of Two Worlds." Based on a character from the comics, Patty is a CCPD cop who wants to join the metahuman task force, for reasons we'll later find out. Gustin promises that we'll see Barry and Patty enter into a relationship sooner rather than later.

XCfoJot.jpg

Grant Gustin (as the Flash) and Shantel VanSanten (as Patty Spivot) on The Flash

Cate Cameron / The CW

"She's really the only character right now with whom Barry completely forgets about his worries, forgets about everything they're doing with Team Flash and just has a lot of fun," Gustin says, noting how much fun he and VanSanten have working together.

Gustin is particularly excited about Zoom, this season's Big Bad. Zoom is a "demonic" speedster from Earth 2, who wants all other speedsters in the universe gone, so that he's the only one. The Glee alum promises that fans will definitely be scared of Zoom. At this point, Gustin, who recently read the script for episode nine, and the rest of the cast still don't know Zoom's real identity.

In addition to fighting Zoom, Barry will also provide emotional support to the West family, who is dealing with some family problems (which may or may not involve the introduction of Wally West or Iris' mother Francine).

Says Gustin, "He's kind of like the emotional anchor this year to a lot of characters, which has been a fun change instead of always being the one that's crying."

people.com