Bellazon

Dan Stevens
Thumbnail

MauiKane

post-20251-0-1445993605-71766_thumb.jpg

DAN STEVENS

Morris Townsend

Broadway debut. Theatre includes Arcadia, Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, The Vortex, Hay Fever,The Romans in Britain, Much Ado About Nothing(UK tour) and As You Like It (UK and U.S. tour). TV includes Downton Abbey, Sense & Sensibility,Maxwell, Miss Marple, Dracula, The Line of Beauty, Frankenstein. Film includes the upcomingVamps, directed by Amy Heckerling (release in autumn 2012); Summer in February and Hilde. Radio includes The Music Room, The Lady of the Camellias, Orley Farm, Dickens Confidential, The Tennis Court, A Question of Attribution.

YES! I sat in row 6 aisle, right orchestra. Dan has an ethereal beauty; almost too blinding to behold! Perhaps I'm exaggerating but this man is gorgeous.

The problem is his was a supporting role, so he did not spend that much time on stage (at least not as much as I had hoped.) His acting was fine, but I kept thinking of him as Matthew Crawley instead of Morris Townsend in "The Heiress." Still...it was definitely worth it!

Thanks for your review, MauiKane!

• 1 month later...

Dan Stevens in negotiations to star in film version of 'Swallows and Amazons'

By Nick Roman

post-20251-0-1445993606-17168_thumb.jpg

The reverberations of Matthew Crawley’s loss are still being felt amongDownton Abbey fans, but star Dan Stevens is already on to (hopefully) brighter pastures.

Stevens is reportedly in talks to star in the latest filmpost-20251-0-1445993606-19747_thumb.png adaptation of Swallows and Amazons, based on Arthur Ransome’s children’s novel, which had a previous film adaptation released in 1974. The film comes from producer Nick Barton, and centers on a group of six children — the four Walkers kids, John, Susan, Titty, and Roger, and the two Blacketts, Nancy and Peggy — who spend a summer united against a common foe: the Blacketts’ sinister uncle James Turner. Turner is a reclusive writer whom the kids name ‘Captain Flint’, after the infamous pirate from Robert Louis Stevenson’s Treasure Island, because I suppose this is what kids did back in 1930 (when the book was first published).

Stevens is in negotiations to play Turner. The villain role is a bit of a departure for the Downton star, but hey, so is taking a part in an adaptation of a children’s bookpost-20251-0-1445993606-21657_thumb.png that, between the title and the name of at least one of the characters, is sure to have today’s kids snickering. I guess the 1930s were just a different, more innocent time. Unfortunately, it’s a time in which Matthew Crawley is still in the ground.

'Summer in February' - Dan Stevens right at home in another period romance

By Hilary Busis

Inside Movies

April 12, 2013

No, Summer in February isn’t a lighthearted beach party movie set on the Australian coast — it’s a romantic drama set in England before the first world war, a time and place that star Dan Stevens knows all too well.

The story, adapted by Jonathan Smith from his eponymous novel, centers on the real-life love triangle between young Alfred Munnings (Dominic Cooper) — an equine painter who would eventually find fame and knighthood — his friend Captain Gilbert Evans (Stevens), and his fellow artist Florence Carter-Wood (Emily Browning). Even though the film technically has nothing to do with Downton Abbey, the two seem to have plenty of similarities — expect lots of smoldering, longing looks, gorgeous costumes, and a tragic ending that may as well have been scripted by Julian Fellowes himself. (Are we absolutely certain he didn’t time travel here from 1914?)

Summer in February hits theaters in the UK on June 14; a U.S. release date has not yet been announced.

• 1 month later...

Dan Stevens apologizes for his 'Downton Abbey' ending

by Erin Strecker

June 5, 2013

post-20251-0-1445993606-40752_thumb.jpg

It’s been nearly six months since Matthew Crawley met his untimely end on the season finale of Downton Abbey, and because people don’t seem to be getting over it anytime soon (WHYYYYYYY?), actor Dan Stevens is doing a bit of better-late-than-never damage control.

“I am sorry about that!” Stevens told Radio Times magazine in excerpts posted online. “I think what emerged is that it’s an unwritten rule that you’re not supposed to die on British television on Christmas Day, and that, specifically, was not my doing. … I didn’t have any say in the manner in which he went. Ultimately, it was in the hands of Julian [Fellowes] and the producers.”

What is being left unsaid, of course, is that the only reason Fellowes and Co. had to write him off at all was because Stevens decided to leave the show — but at least his death means that fans will only have good memories of Mary and Matthew, as opposed to breaking them up to write Matthew off the show. “It was right that he didn’t run off and have an affair with somebody,” Stevens said. “I don’t think that would have been right for Matthew as a character.”

This is the first time since leaving the show that Stevens has seemed to acknowledge the general angry sentiment of fans who were shocked to learn that one of the most beloved main characters was being killed off. (Game of Thrones fans, can you possibly imagine that feeling?) But Stevens will have plenty more time in the public eye to discuss. He’ll next be seen in The Fifth Estate, a film about WikiLeaks, opposite Benedict Cumberbatch.

As for getting back in fans’ good graces: Do more things like this recent photo, and all will be forgiven.

• 2 weeks later...

‘I Don’t Miss The Long Dinner Scenes’:

Dan Stevens On Leaving “Downton Abbey”

By Georgina Littledown

June 16. 2013

http://www.entertainmentwise.com

Last year, the nation gasped a collective gasp of utter shock when his character was suddenly killed off after his son and heir had just been born - but Dan Stevens has revealed that he doesn't really miss Downton Abbey.

Stevens, who left the show at the end of the Christmas special when his character Matthew Crawley died in a car crash, said he misses the cast but there are things that he is glad to see the back of!

Speaking in an interview with ITN, he said: "I miss the cast particularly, they're the thing I miss most.
"I don't necessarily miss the stiff, high collars though or those interminable dinner scenes that took forever to shoot, but the cast remain great friends."

Dan, 30, is currently promoting his new film Summer In February in which he stars alongside Dominic Cooper and Emily Browning.

Set in the early 20th century, the film revolves around a love triangle involving the three stars, which Dan was happy to explain.

Talking about his character, he said: "Gilbert Evans is a very sweet, upstanding, honourable man who looks after various communities of artists down on this land in Cornwall, and he's great friends with a rather roguish painter who is the star of the show, the centre of this community, Alfred Mullings.

"And while they're down there, this mysterious ethereal and beautiful girl comes down from London to join her brother who's already painting down there. Both men fall in love with her and she is really genuinely torn between Mr Nice and Mr Rock 'n' Roll. And it's that classic dilemma."

Dan is married to South African vocalist-turned-singing teacher Susie Hariet with whom he has two children with, three-year-old daughter Willow, and son Aubrey, born in May last year.

And despite being a family man, he also has a great group of friends and manages to share his time with both.
He said: "I've tried to strike a happy balance to my own life."

Do you miss Dan in Downton Abbey?

• 1 month later...

Downton star Dan Stevens looks slimmer than ever at Summer In February premiere

By Emily Sheridan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Mks0dqz.jpg

Dan with his wife Susie Hariet

post-20251-0-1445993606-80622_thumb.jpg

Dan with his co-star Dominic Cooper

post-20251-0-1445993606-81452_thumb.jpg

Dan Stevens is a whole new man after leaving Downton Abbey at Christmas.

As he arrived at the London premiere of his big-screen debut Summer In February on Monday night, it looks like there's a lot less of the actor than ever.

The father-of-two showed off his slender frame in a shiny grey Rake suit - a far cry from the dapper dark ensembles we're used to seeing on Matthew Crawley.

Although Dan wasn't what anyone would have ever described as large beforehand, he recently admitted he's lost over two stone since January.

Speaking on the Graham Norton Show a few days ago, he said: 'I've lost about 30lbs since New Year, which, in British terms, is about two to three chins.

'It was for a role. It’s always me, just different incarnations, different roles, different costumes and different sizes.'

As well as slimming down, he's also gone from light blond to a dark blond/brown style.

He explained: 'As for the hair, it’s pretty much my natural colour. I went very dark for the last role but I’ll see where I go with it.'

However, fans of Dan will see him as a blonde in Summer In February, the film adaptation of Jonathan Smith’s novel, which is directed by Christopher Menaul.

Joining Dan at the premiere was his wife, South African singing teacher Susie Hariet, 37, who looked lovely in a black floral dress.

The couple, who have been married for four years, have two children together, Willow, three, and Aubrey, 13 months.

• 1 year later...

When former Downton Abbey star Dan Stevens visited Good Morning Britain to promote his new film The Guest, Susanna Reid, one of the hosts of the show, brought up the topic of his transition from the popular British ensemble show to being the lead in a big American movie. As you'll see, she did not do this gracefully.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dan Stevens photographed by Tim Walker for W Magazine Best Performances, February 2015.

post-46080-0-1445993610-85346_thumb.jpg

Dan Stevens in The Guest and A Walk Among the Tombstones

“After Downton Abbey, I wanted to master an American accent. I had a friend record the Gettysburg Address, and, for some reason, that speech has all the sounds that you need. It also means that I’ve now memorized the Gettysburg Address, which is good, too.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Giorgio Armani: Made to Measure Campaign

Introducing the new Giorgio Armani Made to Measure campaign featuring Matt Bomer, Dan Stevens and Chen Kun, shot in New York by photographer John Balsom.

British born Dan Stevens, in television most notably known for his role in ‘Downton Abbey’ amongst other shows. Recently seen as Lancelot in ‘Night at the Museum 3’: Secret of the Tomb’ and currently filming the Beast for Disney movie ‘Beauty and the Beast’.
Dan Stevens has said: ‘I’m truly delighted to be collaborating with Giorgio Armani, both personally and professionally. It’s a uniquely excellent feeling wearing something that is made just for you.’

post-46080-0-1445993616-75885_thumb.jpg post-46080-0-1445993616-76762_thumb.jpg