Bellazon

Man of Steel (2013)

Cult Icon

Reboot. Kevin Costner plays Superman's adoptive father. Russell Crowe plays Superman's biological father:

Man of Steel - Teaser Trailer with Kevin Costner (HD)

Man of Steel - Teaser Trailer with Russell Crowe (HD)

Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner seem to be talking about a 'Messiah', LOL!

I think the tough part with Superman (which personally I find a very boring character- as he's essentially a minor diety and a goody-two shoes. He even works in journalism.. just like Spiderman), is the fact that the most modern Superman Movie was made back in 06' with Routh & co. and followed the light-hearted 'spiderman' format. I think I saw this film- at least half of it, and found it watchable but also generic. A reboot of the same style would be pretty....repetitive I think. There's just not much material to work with.

I believe that an attempt to 'add depth' to the Superman character would be an interesting experiment. I don't know how this would be done or what it would entail. But if it succeeds, then that can only be a good thing. :-)

I saw this trailer during my viewing of TDKR, and it was all news to me. I'm googling MoS pictures now, and apparently a reasonable amount of images have been taken during filming. And I have to say that my enthusiasm fell after I realized that 'Zack Synder' is actually the one making this film. I mistakenly thought that it was Nolan's next project. He's involved, but only in a supporting role.

Mixed feelings about the trailer. I don't blame them for wanting to do their own thing with the new movie - it is, after all, a complete overhaul, and it's probably safe to say that the Richard Donner approach has been done to death - I just get the feeling that it would sit rather awkwardly with the character's origins if they go too dark. Superman/Clark Kent had a lovely childhood and a loving (albeit adopted) family, is a good-looking guy with a cool job, and is something approaching invulnerable. It's difficult to imagine an angsty anti-hero emerging from such a background. With any luck, it'll be pitched just right between light-hearted and excessively brooding, but they'll have to be careful.

On a slightly different note, I feel a bit sorry for Brandon Routh. 'Superman Returns' had many a shortcoming (Kevin Spacey's substandard Gene Hackman impression for starters), but Brandon certainly wasn't one of them.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time...they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.."

Inspiring words. But Hmmph, I think we've heard that somewhere....:Lenin, Mao, Stalin, Kim, etc...;)

img55262.jpg

"Bulgarian street artists turn Soviet war memorial into Superman, Wolverine, and other superheroes"

Come to think of it, this belongs in Baron's "Odditorium' thread:

statuegraffiti6.jpg

supermang.jpg

statuegraffiti5.jpg

The Superman reboot has probably something to do with alienation from the rest of people- there's potential substance in that. Asking the big questions, doing on the ground research and designing broad 'policy'. Temptations, ideology, philosophy, etc. If the superman character could be developed, I believe that's where it should go. At least 'invent' a better explanation about why he chose to be a journalist and behaves the way he does. Even within the confines of fiction, the superman character never made any logical sense in the first place and strained any sort of believability. The character should be made human in personality, and made interesting.

Genuine line from a friend of mine after witnessing the trailer - "Oh so it's out next year. Do you think after that they'll do a Human League movie?" :rofl:

^What no red underpants? :huh:

Try to see the IMAX version if you can, the film is made for it :-)

I'm booked in for the IMAX on Sunday evening. It involves going further afield than I usually would to see a movie, so a little extra patience was required. Hopefully it'll be well worth it. I'll meet you in the TDKR thread afterwards. :laugh:

Try to see the IMAX version if you can, the film is made for it :-)

I'm booked in for the IMAX on Sunday evening. It involves going further afield than I usually would to see a movie, so a little extra patience was required. Hopefully it'll be well worth it. I'll meet you in the TDKR thread afterwards. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to it. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Very welcome, Andy! :heythere:

I don't consider myself the biggest Superman fan around, but I'll probably give this movie a shot. The "oh look, another brooding superhero movie" talk that I'm seeing everywhere is becoming rather reactionary - most comic characters have some kind of psychological struggle. At least, the interesting ones do. There's room for the Avengers approach and the Dark Knight approach, and this seems to be pitched somewhere in the middle.