Bellazon

The Great Gatsby

katchitup

Looks like this one is either love it or hate it depending on the person...so far the critics are split!

but a nice thing is it seems almost all the fans/audiances who have seen it have nothing but positive things to say :thumbsup: So thats good. Guess its up for everyone to judge for themselves. :)

I know I personally loved Moulin rouge and R+J, so I'm hoping for the best :)

So just got back from Gatsby....LOVED IT! Don't know what these critics have up their butt, what were they expecting? This was a lovely adaptation in my opinion, I can't think of any other way! It wasn't PERFCECT by any means, but it was definetly a very good, entertaining, beautiful film. (reminded me of Moulin Rouge a little bit, and I loved that movie!). I guess lovely would be the best word to describe it :) :heart:

I think fans of the book would be very happy, it stays very true to the book. Makes it better/more intense really, seeing these images in such a grand fashion!

Leo was great as usual, I can't imagine anybody playing Gatsby better! make%20it%20clap.gif (Also that elizabeth debeki/Jordan was excellent! she stole every scene! Joel/Tom was great as well, he stole the scenes too! As was Tobey :) )

sidenote: The 3-d was a little uneccesary. Didn't really add much (didn't take away either though). It was kinda cool with the 3-d during the big gatsby party scenes!

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved the movie, it started really fast but I think that was part of the whole experience of 'not being a part of the rich and wealth' in a way. I hope they would explore a bit more about Jordan and Nick's relationship as well as including parts of the book that were not in the movie but oh well. Every time I think about something about it, I appreciate it more and more. The acting was excellent and the music, well, it could have been a bit better without a few songs :) 9/10

I really loved the movie, it started really fast but I think that was part of the whole experience of 'not being a part of the rich and wealth' in a way. I hope they would explore a bit more about Jordan and Nick's relationship as well as including parts of the book that were not in the movie but oh well. Every time I think about something about it, I appreciate it more and more. The acting was excellent and the music, well, it could have been a bit better without a few songs :) 9/10

Glad to hear you liked it! It was alot better than expected, and like you, the more I think about the movie, the more things I find about it that I liked :hehe: Dont' know what the critics had in mind :cain: but I couldn't think of a better adaptation!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw the movie two days ago. As I'm not american I haven't read the book so I wasn't really sure of what to expect in terms of the story. Honestly, I love the movie. I love everything about it, i think both Leo & Toby nailed in their parts, the whole cast was great but those two were the strongest characters for me but I guess it was to be expected since they are the main characters. Daisy is a major bitch and I'm pissed she didn't die or went to jail or something. But still, I love the movie.

3D wasn't needed though, I don't get why they felt the need to make this movie in 3D :idk:

I'll try to read the book and watch the movie again whenever I can :)

I agree with you on Daisy, but I don't think that was Carey fault, and it's definitely not the way Fitzgerald portrayed her. ^

It was just part of Luhrmann's strategy of throwing away ever single part of important dialogue and character-development to make room for loud scenery.

As to Tobey: I really, really wanted him to do well, because he seems like such a sweetheart and even though he isn't that great of an actor, I really didn't think it was fair he became the laughingstock of the film industry after SM3. But quite frankly he deserved all the backlash he has gotten for the way he played Nick. All that he invoked in me was secondhand-embarrassment.

Then again, movie-Nick was forced to carry whatever was left of the storyline more excessively than book-Nick and Leo sure as hell wasn't going to help him since he was busy with slowmotions on his face 50% of his screentime.

But do read the book; it has various dimensions that weren't in the movie and most important; Jordan Baker. She was for some reason completely written out of the movie, but in my opinion the best female character in all of Fitzgerald's books. A bit of a feminist, witty, and a great character to balance out all the shallow (Daisy I'm looking at you ;) ) moneygrabbers.

All I want to do is punch Baz in his smug face since even he himself was aware that the movies was trash and therefore moved it out of Oscar-season right into Summer-actionhero season so he could make money of all the teenage girls that prefer a romantic chickflick over Ironman and FAF. Yet he's still whining over all the negative reviews; Sorry man, but you can't just rape an amazing piece of proza like this and expect everyone to applaud you for it.

I was personally very disappointed with the movie. I love the book and I was very eager to see the film, I loved trailers (I think they are actually better than the film lol), they made me think it would be fantastic and I loved the cast. I think Leonardo is a great choice for Gatsby but I expected more from him. On the other hand I loved Joel Edgerton, he did a great job.

I think I would like it much more if it wasn't directed by Baz Luhrmann, I don't like his style :idk: He makes everything too opulent. Opulence goes hand in hand with The Great Gatsby but I would prefer slightly different approach.

I guess I need to read the book because I seriously loved the movie, but then again I had no expectations because I'm not familiar with the storyline :idk:

So as someone who's first impression of Gatsby was the movie, I think it was fairly good

I was never a HUGE fan of the book..not knocking Fitzgerald, I liked the book, the storyline was beautiful, I appreciate his work, and hes written so many classics! The book was just at times litte dull to me and hard to keep interested in with his writing style (my own personal preferance of course). I also thought that "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" film adaptation was also better than the short story. So the Gatsby movie experiance was much more exciting to me.

But this is all my personal taste and opinion of course ;)

MissLimaVzla: the book is still definetly worth a read, Fizgerald is a lovely writer :)

I guess I need to read the book because I seriously loved the movie, but then again I had no expectations because I'm not familiar with the storyline :idk:

That's where the flaws were the biggest in my opinion.

Because I went to see it with a few friends of mine and all the guys were simply 'what the fuck is this shit' and the girl (who cries over documentaries of Animal Planet and sad tv-commercials :rofl: ) didn't react at all once the final scene came on. And I understand that because the characters were too vapid to feel emotionally connected too and that's what was a huge let-down after reading the book, but also a factor that I would guess ruined the movie even if you weren't familiar with the story?

A lot of insights here...(nice blog, W :))

So what do you ladies think of the 1974 version of the 'Great Gatsby' (with Robert Redford)? It also received mixed reviews and possessed fabulous costumes & settings. But it was criticized for being a 'lifeless' film. :)

post-40981-0-1446073483-78882_thumb.jpg

That's where the flaws were the biggest in my opinion.

Because I went to see it with a few friends of mine and all the guys were simply 'what the fuck is this shit' and the girl (who cries over documentaries of Animal Planet and sad tv-commercials :rofl: ) didn't react at all once the final scene came on. And I understand that because the characters were too vapid to feel emotionally connected too and that's what was a huge let-down after reading the book, but also a factor that I would guess ruined the movie even if you weren't familiar with the story?

The thing is, I did love the movie. I hated Daisy with a passion, loved Gatsby and felt bad for Nick the whole time. And everyone on the theater I was seemed to have liked the movie too :idk:

It's a matter of taste I guess.

So what do you ladies think of the 1974 version of the 'Great Gatsby' (with Robert Redford)? It also received mixed reviews and possessed fabulous costumes & settings. But it was criticized for being a 'lifeless' film. :)

post-45017-0-1446073485-76147_thumb.jpg

I liked it better (because I was able to experience the story better) than the 2013 version, but I didn't think it was great either. It was alright.

I did develop a bit of a crush on Redford, though :blush:

But like MissLima said, opions eh ;)

Close to launching a page with book and film-reviews organized. Can't wait to discuss more with you Andy :yes:

I saw The Great Gatsby with my friends last week. I'm not a huge fan of the book but I really wanted to see the movie. Overall, the movie was great, even though there was some scenes in the film that I found boring( maybe because I watched this movie very late at night). And one thing that surprised me, was Leonardo DiCaprio. I think that he portrayed Gatsby really well. :PinkCouture2:

• 1 year later...