Bellazon

Joseph Morgan
Thumbnail

anok

Vampire Diaries Spinoff Being Developed for Series Star Joseph Morgan

The CW is looking for franchise opportunities -- and the network believes it's finally found one, courtesy of beloved Vampire Diaries villain Klaus Mikaelson.

The proposed spinoff will follow Joseph Morgan's character as he returns to New Orleans to reunite with his protege. Tentatively titled The Originals, the pilot episode will air April 25. Vampire Diaries' executive producer Julie Plec, who will write the episode, is overseeing the project.

Actress Phoebe Tonkin, who joined The Vampire Diaries in season 4, is also attached to the spinoff. Claire Holt and Daniel Gillies -- who play Klaus' siblings -- will "hopefully" join the cast, CW president Mark Pedowitz said during the Winter TCA Tour in Pasadena, Calif., Jan. 13.

Klaus is just a great character, and the Original family has such great dysfunctional family dynamic," Pedowitz said. "We thought that would be a great way to go and take the show."

"I'm a big believer if you have something that's working find a way to get it on the air, this is a good way to get a pilot done," Pedowitz added.

• 2 months later...

Joseph Morgan Nervous About Vampire Diaries Spinoff?

By Krystal Clark

February 13, 2013

post-20251-0-1446126589-45612_thumb.jpg

When one door closes, another door opens. Joseph Morgan is leaving The Vampire Diaries for another opportunity. He's getting his own show! The British actor is headlining a new supernatural drama.

The CW's hard at work with an upcoming pilot, The Originals. It's a spinoff of the dramaThe Vampire Diaries. The new series is a vehicle for actor Joseph Morgan, whose character Klaus is its focal point.

When Morgan joined the The Vampire Diaries, it was already an established hit. The Stefan/Elena/Damon triangle had roped in millions of viewers. Even though Klaus is a villain you love to hate, he's not the star of the series.

With The Originals, Morgan will be the main man. The actor told TVLine that he's in a privileged position but doesn't feel overwhelmed.

"It's interesting because I've been playing this character for a while, almost a full two seasons now. So I feel like I'm doing something right. The character's been received pretty well even though he's incredibly flawed. I think that's part of the reason he's popular. So I don't feel so much of the pressure."

Morgan won't be the only Vampire Diaries alum to jump ship. Several of his on-screen siblings are following suit.

"I have my brother [played by Daniel Gillies] to share that pressure with. I don't know. We'll see. I'm just excited. There's other stories to tell outside of Mystic Falls, and this is a chance to really expand that universe. It'll be so interesting to play all the crossovers, as well, if they allow characters to move between [shows]."

Thus far, the cast of The Originals includes Morgan's Klaus, Gillies' Elijah, Claire Holt's Rebekah and Phoebe Tonkin as Haley the werewolf. There's also newcomers Daniella Pineda and Danielle Campbell as witches Sophie and Davina. Plus, Leah Pipes plays a very human psychology student.

We can't wait to see how this all plays out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...