Bellazon

Batman: Arkham

Michael*

New gameplay/walkthrough videos for 'Origins' and 'Blackgate'. The notion of 'Origins' being as big a step up as 'Arkham City' was from the original is almost certainly going to be a non-starter, but it's looking pretty great so far. Combat looks slightly flimsy in 'Blackgate', though I do like the 'Metroidvania'-style presentation.

"Must you be so brutal, sir? Those men are city employees" :rofl:

It just unlocked on Steam :chicken:

I picked it up yesterday and I’m having a blast so far, although perhaps inevitably, it does feel a bit like the video game equivalent of watching a tribute band playing the hits. Everything is enjoyable, it touches all the same bases, but at the same time, you know it falls slightly short of the real deal.

The combat is essentially more of the same with a little added variety, no bad thing for fans of the series. I'm liking the boss fights too, particularly the awesome confrontation with Deathstroke. I've dipped into a couple of his challenge maps as well, the fighting ones are excellent fun, he's super agile and has some brutal looking moves. :hehe:

It's not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, and there's really no getting away from the fact that it doesn't offer anything genuinely new, but it's a lot of fun and very likeable. Well worth checking out if you're a fan.

The boss battles are handled really well (always seemingly a criticism of 'Asylum' and 'City'), and each one brings a dash of cautious innovation that mixes up the rhythm of the fights. Throw in a couple of extra enemy types and you have a combat system that still feels great. The theme of mobsters being superceded by supervillains is excellent too, as is much of the voice acting. Whisper it, but Troy Baker’s Joker may be better than Mark Hamill’s. :o

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's blatantly obvious, but it's definitely rougher around the edges. There are graphical glitches and frame rate problems that I wouldn’t have expected, and also a distinct absence of regular citizens knocking about the cityspace. Which, given that it was billed as being set in a vibrant and lived-in Gotham, feels a little off.

Luckily, as the storyline begins to gather pace, I'm finding that the minor irritations are bothering me less and less. Rocksteady's fantastic foundations are intact and broadly speaking, it delivers on everything that made the previous games so great. Running around just being Batman is as much fun as ever. :hehe:

^+1

I just finished it last night. It was a very solid title, but I agree with the 'rough around the edges' remark. There were more than a few bugs and glitches, some of which were game-breaking. At least some of them have since been patched. The jump from City to Origins was much less pronounced than the jump from Asylum to City. Pretty much everything was a re-hash, if not a direct copy of City. The only real significant additions to the combat were the shock gloves and the 'martial artist' enemy type. But I don't particularly have a problem with that - I guess if it ain't broke...

I actually really like what they did with the detective mode. The crime scene reconstruction with the rewind mechanic was very cool. I feel like they missed a trick there though - they could/should have had more of an element of exploration and puzzle solving in those sections, to make you feel like you're actually being a bit of a detective, rather than just a 'follow the dots' kinda deal.

^I know what you mean. There was a time when I'd have been able to finish a game like this in a day or two. :laugh:

I actually really like what they did with the detective mode. The crime scene reconstruction with the rewind mechanic was very cool. I feel like they missed a trick there though - they could/should have had more of an element of exploration and puzzle solving in those sections, to make you feel like you're actually being a bit of a detective, rather than just a 'follow the dots' kinda deal.

That would have been great, actually. It’s difficult to ring the changes too much in a prequel, I guess, but they could have really gone to town on that, perhaps had the Joker or Enigma plant objects at the crime scene designed to throw you off the scent, or included pieces of evidence that you could collect and then discard if they were of no use.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a bit more now. I'm up to the fight with Bane in the hotel Penthouse/outside.

After finishing that, I moved on to finishing the remaining Comm towers (I had to update to do one of them which was bugged).

I stopped playing after destroying the final relay, so today the Riddler is going down! :p

• 2 weeks later...

New Arkham DLC has just appeared, entitled 'Initiation'. Apparently, it allows the player to take on the role of a young Bruce Wayne in a series of challenge maps. There's a bamboo forest to negotiate and a mountain top monastery rather like the one in 'Batman Begins'. :hehe: