Bellazon

Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2011 (GENERAL DISCUSSION)

Clauds

Jay-Z is in the building. I repeat: Jay-Z is in the building.

^It's OK, he's not going to rob you.

Now that was HILARIOUS!!! :rofl::cool:

And Baron, how could you not know Adam Levine and and Anne V were not together? Did the see the show last year? He was the Orlando Bloom of 2010.

At the time I thought she had just resigned, but I was then told by three people who work for VS and have a bit of insight she resigned in early 08 so she would resigning soon.
The point is you say this as gospel, and you have cited that you have inside sources who tell you she's resigned every time.
^I presume you're both meaning re-signed, not resigned? Don't go getting a man's hopes up! post-11221-0-1446069496-09475_thumb.gif
And Baron, how could you not know Adam Levine and and Anne V were not together? Did the see the show last year? He was the Orlando Bloom of 2010.
^Well, yes, I was just pretending not to know for (very nearly) comic-effect! ;)

I'm not usually a big fan of Izabel but this is the second year running that she was one of the few bright spots for me.

Whatever else I might think of her, she is a good fit for this show, or a good fit for what it should aspire to be.

It's interesting that the show has gone down in quality at the same time as the budget has ballooned. Another example of how throwing money at something backfires.

Just saw the show. My thoughts:

- I'm very happy Doutzen and Miranda are back. They are gorgeous. Alessandra and Adriana are still fabulous. Lais is a very promising new addition. I'm still not a fan of Lily and Chanel. Candice opening lacked impact.

- This year's show has the most new girls (first time casting), right? But Karlie Kloss? Ugh, I hate her. And there was so much of her! Also, when will they stop hiring skinny girls? Sigh.

- I love the high fashion girls. They don't wave, don't blow kisses, don't point. They just walk and smile. That's how it used to be. That's why I loved the likes of Lily Donaldson and Maryna Linchuk. That's how it's supposed to be.

- My favorite performance was Jay-Z and Kanye. My favorite moment was Izabel Goulart demanding for more hairspray.

- Overall, I liked the 2010 show WAY BETTER. I will also say it again and again, the 2005 show is STILL THE BEST. And it's nice to see a lot of people here have the same sentiment.

OK - first things first, is everything in order? Checklist:

1. Random And Pointless (Pretend) 'Director' Voices? CHECK
  2. Cutting To Star-Studded Celebrity Audience At Innopportune Moments? CHECK
  3. Man Standing Up When His Girlfriend Walks Past? CHECK

Then - IT'S SHOWTIME!

Or is it?

They're still getting into costumes!

We gotta go!

^Will they make it?!?! Well, yes, since it's not live and there's no time-limit here really. I'm sure they are all ready, give or take a minute. I know fashion-shows are hectic and exciting. But this isnt a shuttle launch. Please calm down 'Pretend Director Voices'.

I don't know - was that opening classy or not? I kind of liked the understated approach, the soft music and elegant ballerinas. In that context Candice as the opener makes sense; her walk isn't bombastic, but that isnt necessarily a bad thing. It doesn't always have to be sturm und drang and ridiculous gesticulations with added face-pulling... That said, when the music kicked in it felt a bit flat, and it wasn't until Ale walked out that it felt in anyway "on target". Orlando stands up for Miranda.

Oh, oh, oh, shoe's gone!

Broken shoe, coming camera right...

^I don't know about you - but my heart leapt. Could the show carry on? I wasn't prepared. Nobody told us about this. Why weren't we told? WHY WEREN'T WE TOLD????

Nice to know Monica Mitro found Karlie Kloss isn't it. I'd never heard of her before either. This shy girl from Little Bumfuck, Missouri just wandered into castings off the street - but Monica saw something in her. Oh yes, she saw. She saw a ingenue who could pull off a disco-fart monstrosity like no other - and she put that girl on that stage. Mark my words, you'll all remember the name Karlie now. Thanks Monica. Thanks VS...

HAIRSPRAY?!?!

^My lawd, I don't know if I can take much more of this. My poor nerves - it's all so touch and go backstage...

Super-Buttons:

Joan's -

post-4541-0-1446069497-74416_thumb.jpg

post-4541-0-1446069497-84431_thumb.png

post-4541-0-1446069497-88871_thumb.png

post-4541-0-1446069497-90626_thumb.png

So whomever wants to kid themselves into believing that any of these models have even an ounce of the same prestige as the artists that performed their year they need to get they head checked.

This is what I think is harsh.

Saying we need to have our head checked because we enjoy the show for the models and not celebrity like other people. I think the models are better then the performers. I watch it for them. I didn't watch the show to see Kanye. It is an added bonus to get a cool performance but I prefer to see the models.

A lot of other people do too. The majority of people obviously watch it for hot chicks in lingerie and seeing celebrities perform. I know that. But you are basically saying that I and most other people on this forum should have our heads checked because we think the models are better then the celebrities and because I want to hope that other people out there do too. I know it isn't realistic. But sorry I'm optimistic.

totally agree with you kevork.

i would rather have music piped in as oppsoed to the artists on there taking away from the girls. I watch the Victoria Secret Fashion Show for the Victoria Secret models.

and depending on what circle you are in, YES these models have more prestige than the artists (just like euros consider their football players to be bigger superstars than USA football players). Hell, the last singer i never even heard of (and hopefully never will hear from again after that "singing")

to be honest, the one thing i was NOT looking forward to about the show was the music.

She's not saying you can't enjoy the show for the models, but the reality of the situation is this... 10 million people watched.. maybe 600k *if that* watched for the models, the rest was all the talent.

So harsh no, truthful yes.

i find it hard to beleive the 9,400,000 people watched jsut to see Jay Z sing 1 song or Maroon 5 to sing one song or to see Orlando jump up like a school boy.

i think it is the other way around that maybe 600k watched jsut for the singers.

i personally enjoyed it ALL, minus most of the LIVE music acts, i didnt watch it for the music i watched it for the models, the outfits, the whole VS thing, and just having fun with my BFF, as its a tradition now, could care less what the stats are, i just enjoyed it cause well I DID... :heart::heart::heart:

Just watched the show. So :

The opening : I actually liked it, even though this swan song sounds better on the cello but it was beautiful

Ballet : Candice was actually good, I think editing did her favors by cutting out her playing with her hair. The music was "fine" but nothing more. From this segment, I liked Toni, Alessandra, Lais and Miranda. Chanel and Doutzen were ridiculously over the top (especially Chanel) and Anja Rubik... Why is she a regular on the VSFS seriously ?

The VSFS is amazing blablabla... Zzzzz. We get it. No need to repeat it every year.

Introducing Karlie Kloss : Yeah why not.

Superangels : I heard many times that it should have been the opening segment instead of Ballet, well I disagree. First the music is alright but that's it. Adriana did well, but I expect no less from her. Karlie, I wasn't blown away at all. And Jeez, she's thin... Joan and Karmen are nice additions to this show, and Izabel and Shannan did good. Lindsay, well she's pretty, as for Anja. No comment. Erin closing was a bit underwhelming I think.

Passion : First the outfits and especially the jewelry are pretty nice. I didn't get what Doutzen "cage" wings are supposed to be ? Flavia and Maryna! And we supposed to believe that Adiana was still in her superhero outfit while Alessandra was opening the segment? Come on. And the music is pretty bad.

The kid angels : kinda cute

Talking about the outfits : well I would rather see the creative team talking about their inspiration for the outfits than seeing the models talk about it. No offense, but they always say pretty much the same things : "It's incredible, beautiful etc.". I was more interested in listening to the people talking about the spanish inspiration for the "Passion" outfit.

Aquatic Angels : I prefered the shell/wing to the fantasy bra, but the outfit altogether was very nice. Overall all the outfits were very nice. About the models, no complaints other than Karlie and her "xylophone". Ewww. And I find Adam Levine tatoos rather repulsive. But the music was okay.

Kanye and Jay-z : I didn't like the song at all. And Kanye's pants looked like they were about to fall off.

Girls talking about each other : no comment.

Spell on you : Doutzen... quit blowing kisses all the time, it gets repetitive. The jewelry was a bit distracting, I didn't get why all the girls had those "portraits" ? That was weird. Best outfit : Adriana. Worst Cameron (those things on her shoulder were so unnecessary).

Club Pink : Well, what can I say. I have never truely liked this segment, and this year, I don't think there was one single good outfit. That disco ball on Karlie's butt pretty takes the cake though. I can't believe this was the closing act of the show.

The finale : lot of energy, I enjoyed it.

So overall, well, it was a nice show with more positive than negative.

So the negative : WHY BLURR THE GIRLS BUTTS!!!! Ugh, it's so annoying, like the person who watches the VSFS has never seen a woman in her panties in his/her life!

Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr are together. We get it, no need to remind us every time we see Miranda.

I know that in real life all the models are skinny, even those we might find "curvy" but Karlie and Anja... No, I'm sorry. You can litterally see their bones.

The positive : the energy. Not over the top (mostly) and quite entertaining.

The creative team talking about their outfits. I found it quite interesting.

She's not saying you can't enjoy the show for the models, but the reality of the situation is this... 10 million people watched.. maybe 600k *if that* watched for the models, the rest was all the talent.

So harsh no, truthful yes.

i find it hard to beleive the 9,400,000 people watched jsut to see Jay Z sing 1 song or Maroon 5 to sing one song or to see Orlando jump up like a school boy.

i think it is the other way around that maybe 600k watched jsut for the singers.

Google hits for the month of November

Fashion Show:

Victoria Secret Fashion Show - 4,550,000 results

VSFS - 57,400 results

Victoria Secret - 14,300,000 results

Models:

Adriana Lima - 5,260,000 results

Alessandra Ambrosio - 2,270,000 results

Miranda Kerr - 4,190,000 results

Candice Swanepoel - 1,360,000 results

Doutzen Kroes - 1,170,000 results

Erin Heatherton - 482,000 results

Chanel Iman - 626,000 results

Lindsay Ellingson - 262,000 results

Lily Aldridge - 461,000 results

Behati Prinsloo - 176,000 results

Artists:

Jay Z - 17,900,000 results

Kanye West - 12,100,000 results

Maroon 5 - 11,800,000 results

Nicki Minaj - 13,400,000 results

Ironically... the most searched model on google is currently

Heidi Klum = 16,300,000 results

Guess they shouldn't have dropped her.

So to point out, the artists are more popular then the models they currently have, so I think it's fair to say that they are probably who brought in the larger viewing base. The ratings for the show also reflect who they have singing. When they have a big name the ratings jump, when they didn't have large or popular stars the ratings were lower. Katy Perry last year was their big name, and from what I can recall they had the best rated year to date, this year was even better, and they had 2 big names listed/booked in advance and then 2 surprise guests in Jay Z and Nicki Minaj.

The 10 p.m. broadcast of the runway show brought in a 4.6 rating in adults 18-49. That number is up 36 percent from last year's showing and marks best number in the demo to date. Total viewers for the show were also up, with 10.3 million for the hour, its biggest audience since 2002

^I agree, while most people on here watch it for the models, this is a very specific demographic. To most of the people who watch they are nameless, faceless hot chicks in lingerie with well known featured guests. There's a reason why the ad breaks advertised "*insert featured artist* coming next" and not "Alessandra Ambrosio walking next".

So the negative : WHY BLURR THE GIRLS BUTTS!!!! Ugh, it's so annoying, like the person who watches the VSFS has never seen a woman in her panties in his/her life!
It's primetime non cable television, that's how it goes. The only other way around it would be to go back to the V-shaped runway and not see the from the back at all like Miranda in Romantic Journey in 2009.

QUOTE (CrazyGEN @ Dec 3 2011) I didn't get what Doutzen "cage" wings are supposed to be ?

Since the influence of Romance was Spanish, I thought it was a manitilla comb. The comb that would hold up the intricate lace mantillas, or scarfs, that the women would wear over their hair.

At least that is what I think it was.

^I agree, while most people on here watch it for the models, this is a very specific demographic. To most of the people who watch they are nameless, faceless hot chicks in lingerie with well known featured guests. There's a reason why the ad breaks advertised "*insert featured artist* coming next" and not "Alessandra Ambrosio walking next".
It's primetime non cable television, that's how it goes. The only other way around it would be to go back to the V-shaped runway and not see the from the back at all like Miranda in Romantic Journey in 2009.

I get that but it used not to be this way. And for a lingerie show, you can expect to see some skin. Blurring the girls butts just draws your attention to what they're trying to hide I think.

QUOTE (CrazyGEN @ Dec 3 2011) I didn't get what Doutzen "cage" wings are supposed to be ?

Since the influence of Romance was Spanish, I thought it was a manitilla comb. The comb that would hold up the intricate lace mantillas, or scarfs, that the women would wear over their hair.

At least that is what I think it was.

I see. I thought it was supposed to be a bird cage or something :laugh:

Just watched the show...

It was good but somehow lackluster- maybe because they had SO many new girls and fouced on them quite alot...it felt like the true angels were missing.

Candice looked stunning but she bored me this year.

Adriana was amazing, I will always love her crazy expressions.

Miranda looked amazing, She looked radiant and I loved when Orlando cheered her on.

Behati looked wonderful- one of my favourite years from her.

The bit where they showed the childhood photos was a cute idea.

Kayne West was good and I like how he interacted with many of the girls.

Maroon 5...eh, vocals were quite bad but the bit with Anne V was good.

I skipped through Kanye/Jay Z- pfft,i'm only there for the girls!

My favourite section was the 'I put a spell on you' The outfits were just amazing.

One of my favourite songs too.

Standouts- Shanina (too much blowing kisses though) & Emanuela de paula looked radiant.

Anja's outfit with trumpit thing did not fit...:/ wth were they thinking.

I thought Adriana's outfit should have closed not Randa's.

Nicki was good but I hate how she kept eyeing up the girls and like stalking them...it looked weird.

I don't think they should have ended the show with the Pink section though because it was the worst IMO- too cluttered and hurt my eyes.

and why did Karlie close? ehhhh

:wave:

I don't follow the VS Angels like I used to but it seemed to me there was too many "cookie cutter blondes".....meaning they all looked the same to me.

I really missed Karolina Kurkova and Isabeli Fontana but I guess I'm living in the past :( ............. :lost:

Google hits for the month of November

Fashion Show:

Victoria Secret Fashion Show - 4,550,000 results

VSFS - 57,400 results

Victoria Secret - 14,300,000 results

Models:

Adriana Lima - 5,260,000 results

Alessandra Ambrosio - 2,270,000 results

Miranda Kerr - 4,190,000 results

Candice Swanepoel - 1,360,000 results

Doutzen Kroes - 1,170,000 results

Erin Heatherton - 482,000 results

Chanel Iman - 626,000 results

Lindsay Ellingson - 262,000 results

Lily Aldridge - 461,000 results

Behati Prinsloo - 176,000 results

Artists:

Jay Z - 17,900,000 results

Kanye West - 12,100,000 results

Maroon 5 - 11,800,000 results

Nicki Minaj - 13,400,000 results

Of course famous artists will be searched more in google compared to models. You can't use a google search to back up anything because plenty of people around the world who know nothing about VS and their models will be searching these artists. Do they get people in to the show by using these artists, yes of course.

Like you said except for Heidi Klum. She is her own brand. But based on that Adriana & Miranda are the two most searched VS Angels because Miranda is taking the Heidi route and becoming a brand. Adriana is just very popular. So still there wll be plenty of people who are fans of Adriana or Miranda watching the show too. They are very popular.

There are several types of people who tuned in for the show. Sorry to say, bust just 600k tuning in for the show is bull...again I'm willing to say 50/50 and that's on the low side. There are MANY MANY people who tuned into the show for many reasons

1. They shop VS and watched the show

2. There was really nothing else on and it was good to tune in to

3. They actually have a favorite model and wanted to check it out

4. They actually love the VS brand and watched it for that

5. Or it was a tradition every year they tune in (I know tons of people like that)

6. College parties to view the show (There were thousands of those going on)

7. People who tuned in for the artists

I'm not saying the artists didn't pull in people but to compare them with google search results..how about run them in google trends the for the Month of November 2011, run Kayne, Adriana, and Maroon 5 you'll see Adriana and Maroon 5 are pretty equal all month with Maroon being a tad bit higher, but near the end of the month (or the day the show aired) Adriana spikes majorly above the rest. So yes while certain people tuned in to see the performers, I'd say honestly it's probably more 25/75 than 9,000,000 tuning for the performers.

I was on twitter with several friends that night and had several gf's over to watch the show and I was watching my best friends twitter account on her phone (she was checking at the same time) and I on mine several people we knew along with people in the general search of #VSfashion show were tuning in to see the show...barely any mentioned the performers. If they did most of it was not in good light (aka Kanye)

5. Or it was a tradition every year they tune in (I know tons of people like that)

6. College parties to view the show (There were thousands of those going on)

Ok, I couldn't resist these, but seriously? This isn't the Super Bowl.... You may have a few groups of giddy girls who dragged their boyfriends in, but to even try and compare it to a sporting event is laughable.. College boys don't give a shit, and college girls are more interested in frat parties getting f*cked and football parties.

Anyways, I am not arguing about this, you're all entitled to your opinions just as I'm entitled to mine. I think you're grossly over exaggerating the popularity and the presence of these women in the world but that's just me. At this point I don't care, I am not going to beat a dead horse because it doesn't accomplish a whole lot other then creating a mess.