• ALL of the above and more :D
    • Progressive Metal - sound experiments and complex techniques
    • none of the above, but a different subgenre
    • none of the above - I hate metal!!!
    • Industrial Metal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All kinds of. Started listening to Heavy Metal in early 80s, Accept, W.A.S.P. and Ozzy.

Then came the Thrash & Power Metal era with Agent Steel, Flotsam & Jetsam, Helloween and some German Thrash Masters like Sodom, Destruction & Kreator.

Sodom´s and Destruction´s early stuff are in fact Black Metal. Venom "invented" Black Metal with their early stuff, though their music was pretty much like Motörhead, jusr rawer and with satanic over-the-top lyrics and imagery.

One name You really need to mention is Quorthon and his one-man band Bathory. Along taking Black Metal even to rawer, he invented so-called Viking Metal.

From early Death Metal inventors Possessed is my favourite with their absolute debut classic ´Seven Churches´.

But 2nd wave Scandinavian Black Metal was the real thing for me.

Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Beherit, Satyricon, Emperor...the list is long, and Evil. Mostly Norse, some Finnish some Swedish.

• 2 weeks later...

The genre's definitely had quite a run. I find it interesting that at one point grunge was thought by some to be the death (no pun intended :ninja: ) of metal but metal managed to stay around after it pretty much died out. Of course it may not be mainstream as most mainstream bands are pop now, but underground ect. anyway.

I'm a big fan of prog too :yes: .

I think Metal is definitely in good health right now.

I find curious the thing about grunge. Because before Nirvana exploded in 1991 with Nevermind (and that's when people began to use the term Grunge), some important Grunge bands were labelled as Metal, or Alternative Metal: such bands as Soundgarden and Alice In Chains.

Even Nirvana had a pretty heavy sound on their first album (Bleach). A much sludgier sound, closer to Melvins and Soundgarden.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess since there are so many styles that fall under the collective 'hard rock' umbrella, the easier it is for the lines of some of the sub genres to get crossed a bit. Also, unlike some much declined genres that will remain nameless :pinch: , it is in good health right now :thumbsup: .

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...