Bellazon

Metal Gear Solid

Michael*

Yep, played them all and pretty much hung on every moment of each. :heart: My favourites in order are 4, 1, 3 and 2, but, as is always the case with such a story-heavy series, you'd be better off playing through them in order if at all possible, as important elements from previous titles show up throughout.

MGS2 was a real 'love it or hate it' experience, and if any game in the series does put you off powering through the whole saga, it'll be this one. In my own humble opinion, it's something of a flawed gem, very much storyline-driven with a heavy emphasis on 'bait and switch' and those much-maligned cutscenes. They were used to tell a good story and always felt relevant but they were also quite lengthy and very numerous, which was never going to be everyone's cup of tea. In spite of the brutally uncompromising and occasionally trippy nature of it all, I enjoyed the gameplay and the epic/preposterous (delete as appropriate) story arc so much that I was willing to overlook Kojima's excesses.

Snake Eater was in many ways, the absolute antithesis of MGS2, with tons of hands-on stuff and a relatively firm grounding in reality. The main focus is on camouflage and surviving by foraging for useful items, and though the game's much-vaunted "close quarters combat" system is far from perfect, it's also crammed with genuinely scary moments and memorable boss fights. The first time I fought "The End", I honestly thought my game was broken.

Which brings us to MGS4. You know, I hesitate to call it a masterpiece simply because it feels like I'm setting it up for a fall, but I just loved every minute of the damn thing. Once again the cutscenes are fairly lengthy, but this time it's because the game represents the end of Solid Snake's story, and thus every loose end they created in the previous games had to be tied up. And as you can imagine, that's a lot of loose ends. As a stand alone title, MGS1 is difficult to top but I found 4 the most enjoyable - it was just so packed with history and evocative moments that as a long time fan I couldn't help but be awestruck. You just have to play it.

And on a side note, I'm a bit surprised to see Raiden as the main character in Rising. He became quite the hate figure after the second game. :idk:

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i think a lot of these franchises are starting to milk the products. i understand that its a cash cow, but when you tell me its going to be the final installment. then 3 sequels are scheduled for releases...

I share your concerns but I'd still welcome the chance to play a fifth game, as long as it's done right. :hehe:

Additional (and slightly gross) trailer from 'Rising'. It's long been said that Kojima loves his cutscenes - this time he may have taken it too literally. :p

• 3 months later...

Metal Gear Solid 5 revealed?

Whatever the current plan is for the fifth game, I hope it's a prequel. To pick up after the events of MGS4 would be doing the previous game a massive disservice, it was such an ideal way to bring the series to a close. I think what I'd really like to see would be the old Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, but remade with the MGS4 engine. After all, how many people would have played the original NES games?

I would cool down on the MGS5 rumor. Konami can barely get a release date for Revengeance and now we're already talking about MGS5? And if it was a prequel, who would it be for? Metal Gear Solid 5: Snake Swallower starring Solid Snake and Grey Fox?

On 6/26/2012 at 8:11 PM, VampireHorde said:

I would cool down on the MGS5 rumor. Konami can barely get a release date for Revengeance and now we're already talking about MGS5? And if it was a prequel, who would it be for? Metal Gear Solid 5: Snake Swallower starring Solid Snake and Grey Fox?

Snake Swallower is probably a more plausible title than Revengeance, which (lest we forget) is actually going to be the name of a real game.

Granted, MGS5 may be little more than a twinkle in Kojima's eye at this point, but I don’t see the performance of Revengeance having so much as the slightest influence on its release. Revengeance is an unknown quantity that promises to occupy a different genre, and the fact that it's been built solely around the MGS saga's answer to Jar Jar Binks is, if not a commercial death sentence, then certainly a disadvantage. It could hardly be seen as a stretch to imagine any chapter of Snake’s story generating a hell of a lot more interest from the fans.

• 8 months later...

So, 'Revengeance' (cringe) finally landed. Truth be told, I've started to think of it as more of a back burner title than a must-have in recent months, though I'm sure I'll be picking it up sooner or later. Anyone planning to give it a shot? :)

• 4 weeks later...