Bellazon

Does this forum make you want to be a model?

Expresso

This forum used to make me feel horrible about myself. Some days I could be happy looking at pics of those gorgeous girls (not all of them, tastes changes too but still), but most days I would be crying because I would never ever be one of them. I did that for little over or under a year. Then I stopped Bellazon, completely, went to look for another distraction (boys) and my confidence grew. Now I'm older, wiser even, but I still notice that if I watch too many shows, or those photoshopped shots of non existent perfect bums and skins and everything, I get insecure again. I complain about my belly, my bum, feel the urge to buy tons of make up. I'm glad that I know how it works now, though I still can't really handle it all. And there are still things that I'm insecure about, but I guess that'll never change.

Do I still want to be a model? High fashion is appealing to me because I love some parts of the industry. Always had a love for clothes, appearance, styling etc. etc. But I love food too; which means i'm .. well curvy? I don't know, some people say i'm thin, in the industry I would be fat no doubt, but with the right diet and excercise I think I could have the right measurments (but not the height..). My love for food is too great. And I believe that in order to be human, one must be human with ones body. So eat normal and indulge every once in a while.

And like Cult Icon says, it changes your psyche I think. And in the end, the prime of your beauty will only last a couple of years, after that you need (or at least most people need) another occupation to make you feel usefull (and i don't mean charity or something like that). I'm glad that I'm studying something I love now, and that someday soon I will hopefully be of some importance to the world, try'n make it a little better with my brain. Not my looks.

^

just dont forget the most important thing about the models:(well of course some of them look good without things said below,but not and most of them)

1st they have LOTS of make up

and

2nd LOTS of photoshop!

nobody is that perfect as the make up and PS made them look!

its all about advertising

This forum used to make me feel horrible about myself. Some days I could be happy looking at pics of those gorgeous girls (not all of them, tastes changes too but still), but most days I would be crying because I would never ever be one of them. I did that for little over or under a year. Then I stopped Bellazon, completely, went to look for another distraction (boys) and my confidence grew. Now I'm older, wiser even, but I still notice that if I watch too many shows, or those photoshopped shots of non existent perfect bums and skins and everything, I get insecure again. I complain about my belly, my bum, feel the urge to buy tons of make up. I'm glad that I know how it works now, though I still can't really handle it all. And there are still things that I'm insecure about, but I guess that'll never change.

Do I still want to be a model? High fashion is appealing to me because I love some parts of the industry. Always had a love for clothes, appearance, styling etc. etc. But I love food too; which means i'm .. well curvy? I don't know, some people say i'm thin, in the industry I would be fat no doubt, but with the right diet and excercise I think I could have the right measurments (but not the height..). My love for food is too great. And I believe that in order to be human, one must be human with ones body. So eat normal and indulge every once in a while.

And like Cult Icon says, it changes your psyche I think. And in the end, the prime of your beauty will only last a couple of years, after that you need (or at least most people need) another occupation to make you feel usefull (and i don't mean charity or something like that). I'm glad that I'm studying something I love now, and that someday soon I will hopefully be of some importance to the world, try'n make it a little better with my brain. Not my looks.

:wave: Hi Miss Dutchy,

I hope I didn't come across as..well, giving a 'warning from history' but I was not really..you know putting modeling on this or that pedestal. It's an experience for sure, there's a lot of good things from that. I think with all things there are enhancing elements.. and some risks & long term changes to be taken and this varies with all different types of human activity. In a lot of occupations- it takes perhaps three months to a year or more for one to really adjust- and that's not just a factor of acquiring new skills and habits but the structure of one's brain actually tends to shift & adapt to new circumstances. All humans have this type of neurological flexibility and that's how individuals & societies grow and change. Trying new things, challenging oneself..questioning, always truth seeking, trying to truly understand, trying to do the right thing... these are progressive habits. And we all make mistakes, often with the assumptions we have with the world or ourselves and sometimes we slip and bruise our knees a little. And that causes us to think- thus challenging and modifying these assumptions we have in an life promoting way.

The pressure you're talking about and others of its classification..well, everybody goes through with stuff like this in their own way- and not just as a teen, but throughout their lives. I think that people evolve, and tend to understand themselves better as life goes on. Anyway, glad to here that BZ and other venues aren't delivering upon you any sort of distress anymore... Perhaps (hopefully) aesthetic enjoyment instead. :wave:

This doesn't make me want to be a model, but it defiently makes me want to be in the fashion industry more! I love fashion, and looking at fashion magazines, and its something I live for. I love models, and looking at them, and their ads so thats good enough for me.

So not being a model, but this forum defiently makes me love fashion even more :)

• 5 months later...

I agree with Talisa about not so much wanting to be a model but more looking like one :) I did at one point want to model so much but I recently realised that in order to be a successful model besides having the looks and obviously some sort of smarts that you would have to do all forms of modeling e.g. print, commercial, runway etc and I am far too shy to do runway, not enough patience or concentration span for print and mostly don't like being told what to do and to be honest I know I wouldn't take rejection and criticism very well and mostly likely tell the designers, bookers or someone else to go **** themselves :p I would be totally wrong for modeling even if I had the model height and measurements :rofl: If I could've had anyones looks it would have to obviously be Ana Beatriz Barros about 5/6 years ago :D

Of Course. I do modeling here and there but I know it's not gonna go anywhere. Do I still dream of seeing myself on a billaboard,in a magazine, on the VS runway? sure...but that's all it is, dreams. Modeling looks like so much fun but this forum has also shown me the downside...constantly being judged by your looks, it can tear you apart & what happens when their looks fade? nobody will care that you were once 'so beautiful' you need a great personality and brains too. Models usually are just 'objects' of beauty...clients and sometimes even fans don't care what's inside, what their personality is.

Wise words ^ :yes: thats true, its terrible, I don't think I would want to be judged only on my looks whether I'm great looking or people think the opposite and constantly being torn apart on every part of you :/ its a sad world and I agree this forum has shown me the downsides of modeling plus everyone wanting to know your business and talking about you.

i'm mostly disagree with many points i read on this thread.

when i was younger i've been invited for fashion runways like christian lacroix, valentino etc and because of it, many times i saw fashion models and there weren't visual differences between what i saw on pictures and reality.

same thing about boys, in real life, out of fashion show, i saw/meet models like taylor fuchs, cole mohr, yuri pleskun, jeremy young and many others and they look exactly the same! i also already saw kate moss there are few years ago when she dated with pete doherty and it was exactly the same and same thing for my cousin.

so yes they can wear make up (i talked about the girls, the boys were always natural) and yes they can be photoshoped but in my opinion there is not an huge difference between pictures and reality… and i honestly think models absolutely don't give a f*ck about it. it would'n't really change their job... :whistle:

another point. you can be slim and love food and you can hate food and be fat. this is not because you're model that you have an eating disorder and you don't need to be model to be sick.

about the career i don't think this is a real big deal. people spend their time to critic, say it can't be a long term job and blablabla but the western society, with economic crisis and just our modern life, i honestly think things get harder and now it pretty rare and difficult to keep to same job in the same company for decades... if you have the possibility to do it, you're often judged like old school/old fashion which is rarely good for your job. now, safe jobs are rare and i don't talk about depressive people because of co-workers or other people and our own satisfaction because work it's like a relationship. you can study something and after a while realize you hate this job and feel obligated to change your projects. it's also hard to stay with the same idea from 20 years old to 80 years old. result people are often obligated to change their jobs as their long term projects.

i don’t think models will suffer of a mental defect because they made the same thing than millions of other people, it means have many different jobs during their whole active life... or even the first years. and for some people, modeling can be a good way to make more money than they would make with the job they choose to make before to be a model and because of this money they can make their long term projects in an "easier way". be model doesn't mean live without long term project.

should I say, my cousin will turn 29 in one month and he’s still model. he lives in NY and don’t need another job to pay his bills and he’s model since more than 10 years.

i know some models who are very funny, smart, creative and modest people even if they have a successful career and i know “normal” people who are real fags, very narcissists, think they are beautiful, are superficial and who think they are the king or the queen of irladada and in fact they are boring and out of reality.

and you can be model and make something interesting of your life as you can be a cop and just piss off people during your whole career. make something good of your life doesn’t depend of your job but depends of your personality.

about the "be loved only for their beauty" should means that everyone would think they are beautiful and even if people follow a kind of stereotype, should i say, everyone his tastes. by the way people who read vogue or i-d are just a minority and everbody is not into the models and fashion things, so if "be" love for their beauty distrub them, they can easily avoid this superficial fashion victims.

this is just my opinion but I think there is nothing bad with the job itself. all depend of the models’ personality

and to answer to the question no, this is not my cup of tea. i would do it if i need money and it was the best option but nothing else. but as I know me, terrific as i am, i would control everything, i could have arguments with agencies if they wouldn't make correctly their work (i already did it with my cousin's agency, red managment, because they updated stupid and wrong things on their blog and they had finally changed it as i wanted) and that's why i also often upload the thread of few models i know and appreciate. posts regularly their stuff is something good for their career because they can gain fans and modeling agency, photographers, fashion blogs and people working for fashion magazines often come in the place like bellazon. it can be positive for their careers. it's like a giant book and if it makes by other people that's always better.

i'm 300% sure i would contact via internet the magazines' editors, photographers i would appreciate to work with or go in the place where they could go and accidentally create a meeting with them. not because i would be a successful model but because i think meet the good person is rarely negative... and stuff is always better if you can make what you want.

i also would like have an opinion about the photography i could do. make something i could appreciate but i know it's like impossible to do it. a model is here to take the pose and nothing else.

i don't really like fashion photography. i think it's very boring and 95% of photographers always make the same kind of stuff and are totally empty of feelings and creativity. they are just a copy-cat of each other and i don't like it. it would kill me if i would make something i couldn't appreciate. eurk!

and runways are just a big NO WAY. :x or i should be in a precarious situation to accept it.

so i think on the top of my success i certainly would be a very unknown and poor model. anyway, i'm not a model and i won't, so that's perfect

• 3 months later...

If I had the looks sure. But I would only want to do it for a few years and save up enough money to have a comfortable life while pursuing another career that is more stable and has better longevity like say, university professor or an author. I think the part I would like the most is the ability to travel internationally and expose myself to different cultures. What I wouldn't like is having other people telling me what they do and don't like about my body and/or face or people thinking that because I modeled for a living, that they have a right to touch/access my body in a sexual way without my permission or assume that I am stupid and have no interest in furthering my education.

• 1 year later...

I always wanted to be a model but I don't have the height for it. I am too short. I have a nice figure and a pretty face, everybody always tells me that I should be a petite model, but I don't want to. I want to be a VS angel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

In short, no, haha.  This forum reminds me that lots of people, especially men, would be looking at me if I were a model. :p 

If I were a model, I would just do it part-time as a fun way to earn some money on the side.  By no means would that be my career aspiration. If I were naturally incredibly tall and thin and had a face like Karlie or Gisele, then maybe I'd actually pursue it.  In general, I tend to think good looks should just be an asset to what you do for work - not the focus of it.

As has been discussed earlier in this thread, working in the entertainment industry, including the modeling industry, seems to be very damaging psychologically. Being trained that your best asset is the way you look on the outside rather than who you are on the inside is just not healthy - plain and simple.  Psychologically, I imagine the damage is similar to that of being a prostitute or stripper, honestly.

There's also the obvious fact that most models don't get substantial work beyond the age of about 25 (the exception being supermodels). To forego traditional education and work experience for a career in the modeling industry is certainly risky; however, as Cult mentioned earlier, you probably do meet a ton of people through modeling, and these connections potentially could serve you once your modeling career is over.

On November 16, 2010 at 11:19:42 PM, Cult Icon said:

I think people in general are at their most impressionable circa 17-25 as the mind kind of anchors heavily on external influences. So what fundamental habits of thought, emotional character, and preferences are built up and what is learned during this period is kind of subconsciously fused more (and much harder to unlearn). Thus I believe that this is a critical period of time. I think it's important to live and experience life with the long term always in mind & in this way a series of intense influences that may modify one's future mental state in unforeseen ways should be managed in an informed and careful way.

I believe living the life of a top high fashion model for ie. ten years 17-27 can raise the possibly of skewing one's perception of reality in unsustainable ways (from the lifetime perspective).

Two of my friend's agency girlfriends got a bit weird. I like weird, I like creative, I like brilliant, I like entertaining but I think they formed some more eccentric habits, patterns of thinking, and expectations.

Also, +1 to this.

• 7 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/22/2023 at 12:43 PM, AnatasiaSteele82 said:

Yes, you want I Will be a good model Who can help and still doing donations when I Will be billionary, like Angelina Jolie. 😼

Changing answer: Yes, I think and I considere myself I am model in some way. And if I was billionary, I could do donations like some famous, but I can't.