Bellazon

BioShock Infinite

donbot

I know there's not much action around this part of the board, but are there any BioShock fans here? I absolutely love the first two, and am getting pretty excited about the third, even though it won't be out until 2012.

Anyone interested though, check out this 10 minute gameplay video. This game is going to take epic to a whole new level :chicken:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ten-minu...704932?type=flv

• 2 months later...

Wooh, a response! :ddr:

Few games wowed me as much as BioShock 1 did when I first played it. It's not flawless by any means, but it's an amazing and beautiful game from top to bottom. The story, and the whole world of Rapture constructed around it is where it really shines, especially if you have an appreciation for the design and artistry that went into how it's presented - as I think you would. Just fantastic detail in the architecture, graphic design, illustrations and music that totally suck you in. Voice acting is first class too - if Andrew Ryan and Sander Cohen aren't in your list of favourite video game characters by the end of it, there's something wrong with you :ninja:

Plus the actual gameplay is a blast too, and pretty varied - certainly not the typical shooter.

If you like the first one, you'll like the second.. so long as you don't set your expectations too high. It didn't really raise the bar in any area (graphics included, which are identical.. 3 years on), and just feels more like an extension of the first game rather than giving us something new, therefore there's none of the 'wow factor' of the first. There's a few new elements, and the gameplay is more refined, but as a whole it's not as special or original. Which is good in someways, since it actually looks and feels like you're in the same exact world.

BioShock Infinite looks like it's going to take things in a whole new and exciting direction. It will break my heart if it's not going to be as good as it looks. Oh well, I have over a year to raise my hopes :|

Really, I can't remember looking forward to any game as much as I am to this. Dead Space 2 is close though <_<

• 2 months later...

To say I'm a latecomer to the series is putting it mildly, but I finally got around to giving the first game a shot and I'm hooked. And what I'm really loving about it is Rapture itself. The design, the atmosphere, the retro stylings, everything. Even putting it on easy and just wandering about makes for tremendous fun. :drool:

Yeah, PS3 all the way. Yourself? :)

Without wishing to get too far ahead of myself, I can't help thinking that a Bioshock game set before or during the downfall of Rapture would be a terrific experience. Maybe one where you pick a side and play through the civil war. I'd love the chance to explore the city in its prime.

I love my PS3, but I much prefer shooters on PC :yes:

I've had the same thought about experiencing Rapture in its prime.. don't think it'll happen though, since it looks like they're moving on with the series with Infinite. I believe the multiplayer aspect of Bioshock 2 was supposed to be playing out the civil war, but you don't really get a sense of it. The multiplayer was a bit of a fail anyway.

Alas, I fear my knackered old PC would give up the ghost if I tried to run a modern FPS game on it. Can certainly see how it'd be preferable though. :laugh: / :pinch:

So is it safe to assume that Infinite takes place in an entirely different setting?

The absence of Rapture's gloomy confines was a bit of a shock to the system at the beginning, but from what little I've seen so far it looks impressive indeed. I'd been staying away from any of the preview material until now, just in case. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Three parts spring immediately to mind as favourites - *if anyone does intend to play the game, then please, read no further* - the Cohen stuff was tremendously satisfying and completely disgusting in equal measure, and that sick sense of accomplishment gained by luring him into the open, only to bump him off was a gaming moment that I won't soon forget. The whole design and mood of that shopping mall area was terrific too. :drool:

Approaching Steinman's operating room would be another. It was at a relatively early point in the game, but that maniacal rant about the imperfections of his mutilated patients was such a gloriously creepy way to lead into a battle.

And lastly, as silly as it probably sounds to choose a non-playable bit, I just loved the scene in which Ryan reveals the truth to the hero. That was the precise moment when all the tape diaries and flippant comments by Atlas suddenly made perfect sense. It all just interlocked so well.

Only real criticism would be the build-up to the final battle with Fontaine. To be confronted with a giant blue guy was a bit jarring when I'd expected him to at least mildly resemble the gangster I'd seen in the pictures. I understood what was going on with his transformation and whatnot, but a little cutscene to make it all slightly clearer probably wouldn't have gone amiss. It's a minor complaint though. smily%20new%20one.gif

^Agree with all of that.

The final battle was a bit of a let down on a few levels, but one of the few niggles in an otherwise brilliant game :yes:

Did you harvest any Little Sisters or did you save them all? The final cutscene differs, depending on how you played :ninja:

I'd been suspicious of Atlas from a pretty early point (a lesson learned from Metal Gear's Master Miller :laugh:), so I decided to do the opposite of what he asked and save them all, thinking it would somehow come back to bite me if I didn't. But if there's a different ending to be had, I might actually give it another run through after I've finished working my way through the sequel.

:D

Yeah, it's a great game to replay, not only to see the different ending, but also it gives you a chance to experiment with a different play style. You tend to get comfortable with a particular set of tonics, plasmids and weapons, so it's good to mix it up in your second run through :yes:

There's actually 3 endings to the game, but 2 are very similar. There's the 'good' ending (save all the Little Sisters), the 'bad' ending (harvest most/all of them) and the 'sad' ending (harvest a few, save the rest - I'm not quite sure what the cut-off number is though). The bad & sad endings are exactly the same, but the voiceover is read with disdain or sadness, respectively.

• 3 weeks later...

Funny you should mention that actually, having played through and really enjoyed the section in which the plasmids switch at random intervals, I'd given some thought to playing the first game again with all the weapons that I hadn't previously cared to use much. Although I've started on the second game now, so that'll have to wait a while. :yes: