Bellazon

Sami Khedira
Thumbnail

Gonzalez Girl

Khedira: Only titles count at Madrid

Real Madrid anchorman Sami Khedira knows that his time with the Spanish giants will be judged on the trophies he has won.

The German has been a firm favourite of new gaffer Jose Mourinho ever since his transfer from German outfit Stuttgart in the summer.

In an interview with bwin.com, Khedira has acknowledged that the sheer stature and aura of the nine time European kings mean that winning silverware at the club is imperative.

He stated: "It is always dangerous to believe that you have got it all, and you have reached the highest level in your career. If you stop working on your personal development and improving your game, then you are finished. But now, things are going well for me.

"Although we have not won anything, we have started the season well in the league and in the Champions League, as well as the Copa Del Rey. At the end of the day, what counts at Real Madrid are titles, I am aware of this and we work every day at our long-term goal - winning as many titles as possible."

Despite having already qualified for the knockout stages of the Champions League, Khedira insists that their home clash to Auxerre on Wednesday is not a write-off.

He added: "I know from the first match that they are a team who are strong on the counter. We must be concentrated to the maximum, and make sure that we do not give them opportunities."

Madrid are two points behind leaders Barcelona in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

"Khedira is a shining example"

Former Germany international Matthias Sammer has lavished praise on Real Madrid's Sami Khedira for being an excellent role model.

The technical director of the DFB (German Football Association) believes that the 23-year-old is a shining example for youngsters looking to make the grade in the highest level of football.

"German football can only be very proud of him. When I see him playing it warms my heart. He is already a role model for our youth international players," Sammer told Sport Bild in an interview.

"In his career so far, he has shown the younger generation that anything is possible with diligence and modesty."

Khedira signed for Real from Bundesliga outfit VfB Stuttgart this season after a highly impressive World Cup tournament with Germany in South Africa and the young midfielder has already racked up 17 caps for the three time world champions.

Ramos and Khedira make the cut

Mourinho also includes youth teamers Morata, Juanfran and Pacheco on his list

Alberto Navarro / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Jose Mourinho has inlcuded 20 men on his squad list for tomorrow's 21:00 CET match against Sevilla at the Bernabeu. Ramos and Khedira (who missed the last game due to an injury and a suspension, respectively) have made the cut again. Youth teamers Morata, Juanfran and Pacheco are also on the list. Marcelo and Xabi Alonso are suspended for the match. The injured Kaka, Gago, Higuain, Canales and Dudek will also miss the clash. Mateos has been left out for coaching decisions.

Team get-together:

Saturday 18 December @ 20:00 CET. Santiago Bernabeu Stadium.

Next training:

Monday 21 December @ 11:00 CET (behind closed doors). Real Madrid City.

Sami Khedira: "My new life at Real Madrid"

After his strong World Cup performance the Stuttgart defensive strategist moved this summer to Spain. In this interview with WELT AM SONNTAG Sami Khedira reveals, how José Mourinho is ticking and that superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is in private completely different from what everyone is thinking.

With the match at FC Getafe Sami Khedira starts into the sportive new year. Behind him lay months that could not have been more spectacular. After a good World Cup in South Africa, the defensive midfielder moved in July for 14 million € from VfB Stuttgart to Real Madrid. There he was part of the team in 15 out of 16 league matches.

Welt am Sonntag: Mr. Khedira, how do you cope with the mentality in Spain?

Sami Khedira: In the beginning it was a small change. I do not know if it's the way of José Mourinho or in principle so, that things proceed a little different in Madrid. Here you have much more freedom and are ultimately your own boss. I need to know what I have to eat and drink before a match, so that I can performe at the highest level five hours later. I need to know if I want to go out at night. Here it is a different approach to work. A certain relaxation is paired with meticulous precision. When we are at training, there is total concentration, from the beginning to the end.

How was the process of acclimatisation?

Sami Khedira: At first it was Rafael van der Vaart I could relate to. He helped me a lot, especially with the authorities. Then it went step by step, through conversations on the bus on away trips, on the plane.

In August your coach has criticized you hard. He said you and Mesut Özil would not integrated, and would have great difficulty with communication. 

Sami Khedira: He immediately told me, that he had never said it like this. How could he? I think there is noone, who speaks a new language after three weeks. I am now fully integrated. My matches have helped as well. With my matches I have gained respect among my colleagues. They have seen that I am willing to assimilate - to the mentality and to the way of playing. I think that my colleagues had from day one the feeling, that I want to be one of them.

And how is it going with the language meanwhile?

Sami Khedira: At the beginning I had a teacher, but it did not work out very well. Then I worked with a german company, that are offering intensive language training. I am still working with them. I do not necessarily need spanish, because at Real Madrid we talk all the time in english. But learning spanish is good for my personal development and a question of respect for the people in Spain. I'm not just here to earn my money.

Do you have contact with the spanish people in Madrid?

Sami Khedira: Occasionally I have guests. They of course want to see the city. That’s no problem. And when I put on a cap, it’s ok for me. (laughs).

A cap to remain anonymous?

Sami Khedira: Yes.

What do you think of Madrid?

Sami Khedira: Madrid is multicultural, beautiful and loud. But also very heartily. The city has a great charm because of its historic buildings, but can also be a little scary, because of its large buildings and the crowds.

Your coach José Mourinho is called “the special one“. How special is he?

Sami Khedira: He really is very special in his leadership. José Mourinho is not interested just in football but also in the people. This is very important to me. We all earn a lot of money, but we must not forget that we are not machines but also human. And people always need affection and conversation, that is important. He is there for each player. Whether it's Cristiano Ronaldo, who is untouchable, or a player who does not make that many games. He treats everybody the same. José Mourinho manages to give everyone confidence. He is fair, always honest and not above having a good laugh. I've never seen a coach who prepares a match so detailed. Each opponent is analysed to the smallest detail. This gives us security. I absolutely trust him.

Does he get in touch with you during your time off?

Sami Khedira: Yes. When I was booked and flew to Munich for a treatment, he called me. When we are two or three days off, he sends a text message and asks, how the holiday is. And after international matches, he is one of the first I get a text message from. With the status he has, for me that does not go without saying. So, I am very impressed with that. It gives me a really good feeling.

Mourinho is protective as well, like after the historical 0:5 against Barcelona.

Sami Khedira: Internally, he has criticized us, of course. But he wanted us to feel strong again. That has indeed worked, because otherwise you cannot win against Valencia 2-0 four days later.

There are more than 20 top stars at Real Madrid and in training there is all the time a competition situation. How to cope with that pressure?

Sami Khedira: Each training is a challenge. At Real Madrid you can make ten, twelve good matches. But if you slow down, immediately there is the next one and wants to have your place. This encourages me. I know I must be awake at Real for a 100 percent in every training, to have a chance for the starting eleven. I can see it every day on my position. Lassana Diarra is a top player, I like him very much. But I must fight against him and be better, if I want to play. We all have this challenge, which of course makes us all better as well.

The fans of Real Madrid like the beautiful attacking football. How can you, as a defensive player, do them justice?

Sami Khedira: It might sound a bit strange and can be misunderstood, but I do not play for the audience and a beauty price. I think it's no coincidence that I have, at 23 years of age, already won a few titles. I know what I must do on the pitch and what the coach demands, so that we will have success. Sure, the creative players are important. But they only function with players, who care for the order and security at the back. Their playing is not as spectacular, but they are important.

Is a team with so many international stars doing something together?

Sami Khedira: We go out every two months after our training in the morning and eat together. Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos then search for a restaurant where we go with our physiotherapists, the kit rep or even the kitchen help. There we sit for four or five hours, talking and eating.

Who is paying?

Sami Khedira: That depends. So far I could get around (laughs). I think in the new year it is my turn. Sergio Ramos has recently said that next time it has to be me and Mesut. We very much like to do it - and we will survive.

In Cristiano Ronaldo, you have a player who polarises like no other. How does he affect you?

Sami Khedira: Honestly: I admire him.

Why?

Sami Khedira: I admire him for how he handles his status and how hard he works on himself. He has already achieved everything at club level, but he still wants to be better. Every day he is working on his fitness and exercises again and again the things, that he knows already perfectly. I've talked many times with him and was amazed, when he once said to me that he never goes to parties during the season and does not drink alcohol. This is really strange. Because from the outside you have a very different picture of him. He is very clear in his mind and loves life with his family. He was the first player who offered me help and told me, what to watch out for.

What did he mean?

Sami Khedira: Madrid is a very big city with huge temptations. It’s obvious - we are playing at the biggest club in the world. So one or the other may want a piece of the pie. We players know this of course. But there are people out there, just waitingfor you to make mistakes, people, that do you no good. Things like this, he pointed out to me.

Last question: Will Real win the title?

Sami Khedira: We are only two points behind Barcelona. This is not much. I am convinced that we win the title.

© hala_madrid

Q: How do you handle the mentality of the Spanish?

A: In the beginning, it was an adjustment. I don’t know if it’s due to José Mourinho’s methods, but there were changes with what I was used to. In Madrid, you have a lot of free time but in the end you are your own boss. I have to know what I need to eat and drink before a game to trigger the best effect five hours later. I have to know if I want to go out in the evening. The way of working is different. It is relaxation paired with meticulousness. When we train, we concentrate from beginning to end.

Q: How did your acclimatization process go?

A: At first I had Rafael van der Vaart to talk to. He really helped me, especially with the authorities. After that it went step by step, from talks on the bus, when we were driving to an away game, to talks on the airplane.

Q: Your coach criticized you and Özil in August. He said you hadn’t integrated and you’d have communication problems.

A: He told me right after that he never said it like that. There’s no human being that can learn and speak a new language in three weeks. I’m fully integrated now. My games helped me to earn the respect of my teammates. They saw that I really wanted to fit in, both mentally and with football. I think I made them recognize that.

Q: How are your Spanish language skills?

A: In the beginning, I had a teacher but that didn’t work. Then I hired a German company that offers intensive language training. I’m still doing that. I don’t have an urgent need to speak Spanish because we mostly speak English at Madrid. But the learning helps my progression and is a matter of respect towards the people in Spain. I’m not just here to earn money. [i love this attitude!!!]

Q: Do you go out?

A: Sometimes I have visitors and they want to go out, of course. It’s not a problem for me. And if I wear a cap it can be quite comfortable.

Q: A cap to remain anonymous?

A: Yes. [Well there you have it - look under caps to find Sami.]

Q: What is your impression of Madrid?

A: Madrid is multicultural, beautiful and loud, but very sincere, too. The city has a lot of charm because of the historical buildings, but can be very scary because of the big crowds and tall buildings [come on, Madrid has like five tall buildings].

Q: Your coach José Mourinho is called “the Special One.” How extroverted is he really?

A: He is special when it comes to his behavior towards people. He isn’t just interested in the footballer, but in the person itself. This is very important for me. We earn a lot of money, but you shouldn’t forget that we are human beings, not machines. Every human needs affection and interaction; it’s important. He’s there for each of us. No matter if it’s Cristiano Ronaldo, who is untouchable, or a player who doesn’t play much. He treats everyone the same. He is capable of putting his trust into each single one. He’s always honest and always down for a joke. I’ve never seen someone preparing a game so meticulously. Every opponent is analyzed to the smallest detail. He gives us confidence. I trust him blindly.

Q: Does he ever call you?

A: Yes. When I was sanctioned and I went to Munich for treatment, he called me and asked about my condition. Whenever we have two or three days off, he sends text messages and asks how our vacation is going. After international games he’s one of the first that I receive a message from. I don’t think it is usual for the position he is in. This is impressive and makes me feel very good.

Q: Mourinho often protects his team, for example after the historical 0-5 against Barcelona.

A: Internally he criticized us. But he wanted to build up our self-confidence again, which worked, because otherwise you couldn’t beat Valencia 2-0 four days later.

Q: The gathering of 20 top players leads to a permanent competition in training sessions. How do you handle the pressure?

A: Every training session is a new challenge. You can play 10 or 12 good games at Madrid, but when you don’t do well, there’s always someone else aiming for your starting position. This motivates. I know that I have to be at 100% to have the chance to be part of the starting 11. I can see it for my position. Lass Diarra is a top player, I really like him. But I have to fight him and to be better than him if I want to play. Because of this motivating factor, we all have to keep on progressing.

Q: The Bernabéu loves to watch offensive football. How are you able to handle that as a defensive midfielder?

A: It may sound weird and can be misunderstood: I don’t play for the audience or to win a prize for playing the most beautiful football. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that I won several titles by the time I was 23. I know what I have to do on the field and what my coach wants me to do to be successful. Of course, the creative players are important. But they’re only able to work if they’ve got others behind them, who take care of the system and their safety. They don’t play spectacularly, but they are important.

Q: Does a team full of stars ever go out together?

A: Every two months, after a morning training session, we go out to eat. Iker Casillas or Sergio Ramos chooses a restaurant and we go with our physiotherapists, kit managers and kitchen help. We sit and talk and eat for four or five hours.

Q: And who pays?

A: Each time it’s different, and so far it hasn’t been my turn (laughs). But I think in 2011 it’ll be my turn to pay. Sergio Ramos just said that Mesut and I will have to pay soon. We will be pleased to do it. And we’ll survive.

Q: Cristiano Ronaldo is a teammate that polarizes like no other. What do you think of him?

A: Honestly? I admire him!

Q: Why?

A: I admire him for how he handles his status and how hard he is on himself. He’s won everything you can win with a club, but he still wants to improve. He does something for his fitness everyday and practices the things that he has already mastered. I talk to him very often and I was astonished when he told me that he doesn’t party or drink alcohol during the season. This is really strange, because his public image is completely different. He knows what he wants and loves life with his family. He was one of the first players to offer help and to tell me what to be careful with.

Q: What did he mean?

A: Madrid is a very, very big city, which is very, very seductive when it comes to going out. Of course, you play at the biggest club in the world. Some people might want to be a part of that; we players know that. There are people who wait for any mistakes we make, who don’t have good things in mind. That’s what he told me.

Q: Is Madrid going to win the Liga?

A: We are only two points behind Barcelona, which isn’t much. I’m convinced we will win the Liga!

© unamadridista