Bellazon

Mesut Özil
Thumbnail

ellie sky

Ozil has no regrets over Germany move

Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil will not have any qualms about celebrating should he score against Turkey on Friday.

The Real Madrid player was born in Germany and decided to represent Joachim Low's side when he was first given the opportunity to do so 18 months ago, despite interest from Turkey for him to represent his family's home nation.

He has since picked up 19 caps and impressed so much at the World Cup in the summer that he earned a lucrative transfer from Werder Bremen to Madrid, and he says he has no regrets at all about choosing Germany over Turkey.

"For me, there was never an issue of playing for another team other than Germany," he said.

"I was born here, I am happy here and I am proud to play for Germany."

Germany face Turkey in an important Euro 2012 qualifier in Berlin on Friday night.

It will be the two nations' first meeting since Turkey's attempts to lure Ozil into their national team failed and the 22-year-old is looking forward to the occasion, even if he may have to upset his family and friends.

"My family comes from Turkey and I have lots of friends there who call me and are very proud of me," he said.

"They follow what I am doing in Madrid and I am very pleased that they support me.

"That makes me very happy.

"If I were to score a goal, I would spontaneously react and we will have to see what happens."

Ozil is not the only Germany player with foreign origins.

Ten of the side which reached the semi-finals of the World Cup had foreign parentage and captain Philipp Lahm says he is proud to play in such a multi-cultural squad.

"I think our national team reflects our society," he said. "We have lots of migrants living in our country and you could see during the World Cup how excited they all were about our football.

"The national team is a good example for our society."

Lahm plays his club football with one of his opponents this Friday, Hamit Altintop, and the pair yesterday filmed a commercial to be screened on both German and Turkish television promotion Friday's eagerly-anticipated match.

The two Bayern Munich players shared a lot of friendly banter in the advertisement and Lahm hopes the message comes across to the fans at the Olympiastadion.

"Hamit told he about how motivated the Turks are for this game and I told him that it is the same with us," explained the Bayern full-back.

"We know that there will be a lot of Turkey fans in the stadium and it will be tough, but we are hoping for fair play on and off the field.

"We hope that everybody can celebrate together in a footballing festival."

The Olympiastadion has long since been sold out for what could be a pivotal qualifying fixture, with both sides having won their first two qualifying games.

In a bid to prevent a repeat of the scenes the last time Germany hosted Turkey in the capital in 1999, in which over half of the stadium was occupied by Turkey fans, the German Football Association have distributed 25,000 white shirts to its official members to be worn at the game.

The Turkish Football Association have been allocated 15,000 tickets but it is feared that many of the 25,000 tickets which have been on general sale in Germany will have been bought by fans with Turkish nationality or ancestry.

Mesut to As

Mesut Özil was recently interviewed by AS, and this is the result. The interviewer starts off by saying it takes a bit of an effort to get a smile out of Mesut, as well as to hear what he’s saying. But in case you think he’s shy, he says he’s not, that he’s just a reserved person. A bit like Zidane, in fact.

Here are the fun (personal) parts of the interview. I really want to know more about the music in the locker room!

(I guess there’s only one backdrop for interview pictures, no?)

Q: You grew up admiring Zidane. What did you like most about him?

A: The ease with which he handled the ball, his agility, how dangerous he was in front of the goal. He was a complete player, as cold as ice. I admired that a lot.

Q: Which games that Zidane played in do you remember?

A: Of course, the final in Glasgow with that goal against Leverkusen. It was a world-class goal. I dream of scoring a goal like that, although the important thing is to play in the final and win it. It won’t matter who scores the goals later on.

Q: How do you communicate with your teammates?

A: Sometimes in English, sometime a bit in Spanish. I understand a bit and there’s an assistant coach, José Morais, who translates things for me at times.

Q: How many days a week do you study Spanish?

A: Two or three, depending on if there’s Champions League games.

Q: Do you think that Cristiano is an individualist?

A: No way, he’s a team player. You could see that in the second goal against Espanyol, when he gave a great pass to Higuaín. We’re happy to be able to count on a world-class player like him on our team. He’s very important for us.

Q: Who on the team has surprised you with his quality?

A: (Thinks). There are a lot. I don’t want to leave anyone out. They’ve received me with open arms and I feel like we’re a family.

Q: We want to get to know you as a person. What did your grandparents do when they came to Germany from Turkey?

A: My grandfather worked in a metals mine. But I don’t like to talk about my family because I prefer to keep them in the background.

Q: But your father was someone important for you in your career?

A: Of course, he’s always been at my side, even now. I’m very grateful to my family and friends.

Q: Is it true that he was always on the sidelines giving you instructions in Turkish, which caused confusion?

A: No, no. When I was a kid and didn’t play well, he would point that out, even when other parents told me that I had played well. He was always sincere with me, and that helped me to learn a lot of things.

Q: What is the best piece of advice he’s given you?

A: To believe in myself. I’m a very religious person. I pray before games and that helps me.

Q: What do your parents do?

A: My father was self-employed and my mother a housewife.

Q: Have they come with you to Madrid?

A: No.

Q: Did you feel different growing up in Germany because of your Turkish origins?

A: Never. I’ve never felt hostility. I always had a lot of friends and I still have the same friends.

Q: Did you think your childhood was difficult economically speaking?

A: My childhood was great. I enjoyed it a lot. My family gave me everything I needed.

Q: What did you do with your first big paycheck?

A: It was in Schalke, I got my driver’s license and I bought a car, and I started helping out my family.

Q: Do you consider yourself a shy person?

A: No, but I am reserved. I’m a calm person, but when I’m around my friends I joke around and I could talk a lot.

Q: What do you like about Madrid?

A: I usually stay at home. I was surprised by how nice the people are and how many things there are to do.

Q: What is your biggest defect?

A: I don’t know. I enjoy my life and I’m grateful for what I have. I’m a happy person and I have everything, thanks to God.

Q: Have you been able to play any of your rap songs in the locker room?

A: Some players already heard them before. It was an idea from Nike, who sponsors me. Jan Delay is very well-known in Germany.

Q: What songs do you like the best out of the ones played?

A: I like hip hop, redmanblues [rhythm and blues?].

ozil02.jpg

Published along with this interview was Marca’s little personal questionnaire (the last person to do it was Ángel di María) of our favorite German footballer of Turkish descent. So, let’s find out a bit more about Mesut Özil!

A city: Madrid [ok, he's won me over. I officially love him.]

A color: white

A car: Audi

A drink: ice tea

An actor: Robert De Niro

An actress: Angelina Jolie

A movie: Karate Kid

An artist: none

A book: none

A writer: none [ok, he's not into literature or art?]

An agent: James Bond (laughs). Reza Fazeli, my representative.

A meal: spaghetti

A clothing brand: Nike

An article of clothing: shoes

A dream: health and a lot of success in my life

A virtue: playing football

A defect: I don’t head the ball well.

A virtue in a woman: sincerity

A virtue in a man: sincerity

A destination: United States

A woman’s name: none

A man’s name: none

A mode of transport: car

A stadium: the Bernabéu

A rival: Barcelona

A politician: I prefer not to answer

A sporting event: winning the Champions

A historical event: the arrival of man on the moon

A pastime: playing football with my family and my friends

ozil02.jpg

Published along with this interview was Marca’s little personal questionnaire (the last person to do it was Ángel di María) of our favorite German footballer of Turkish descent. So, let’s find out a bit more about Mesut Özil!

A city: Madrid [ok, he's won me over. I officially love him.]

A color: white

A car: Audi

A drink: ice tea

An actor: Robert De Niro

An actress: Angelina Jolie

A movie: Karate Kid

An artist: none

A book: none

A writer: none [ok, he's not into literature or art?]

An agent: James Bond (laughs). Reza Fazeli, my representative.

A meal: spaghetti

A clothing brand: Nike

An article of clothing: shoes

A dream: health and a lot of success in my life

A virtue: playing football

A defect: I don’t head the ball well.

A virtue in a woman: sincerity

A virtue in a man: sincerity

A destination: United States

A woman’s name: none

A man’s name: none

A mode of transport: car

A stadium: the Bernabéu

A rival: Barcelona

A politician: I prefer not to answer

A sporting event: winning the Champions

A historical event: the arrival of man on the moon

A pastime: playing football with my family and my friends

I hate when guys don't read books.

• 2 weeks later...

2010-11-04ozilellarguero01.jpg

Mesut Özil at El Larguero

by unamadridista

Mesut Özil was a guest on El Larguero last night, right after the Premios Alma. As such, the presenter noted that he was dressed “súper elegante” and even went on to describe the outfit. Anyway, this is what Mesut talked about on the show – he spoke in German, and his answers were translated into Spanish, although he did try out one or two Spanish phrases.

On the gala: I didn’t understand what José Mercé was singing, but it was “muy bonito.” I had met Rafa Nadal before.

On music: I’ve heard flamenco before, and it’s special because it forms part of Spain. I like rap and Turkish music.

On what he did during the free day: I slept a lot, and then some friends from Germany, including my brother, came to see me. I studied Spanish for four to five hours, and then it was time for the gala.

On his family: my grandparents and parents are Turkish, but I was born in Germany, in Gelsenkirchen, where I grew up and went to school. People there have always treated me very well. I have one older brother and two younger sisters. My father is self-employed, and owns two stores. My mother is a housewife.

On his religion: I’m Muslim, and my parents are as well. I’ve never even tried ham, and I only have some wine when there’s something to celebrate. A bit of wine once in a while is good for your health.

On his football origins: I started playing when I was seven, because my older brother did and I went to all his games. I told my father that I wanted to play too, and be a part of a team. My entire family loves football, and it forms part of our life. I wasn’t a great student, but I wasn’t bad either, and I don’t know what I would have been if I weren’t a footballer.

2010-11-04ozilellarguero04.jpg

On the visit of Angela Merkel to the German locker room: I left the game early since I received a knock to my ankle, and I took off my shirt because it was sweaty. I came out, and there she was. We were both surprised, but it was a fun moment.

On the Spain-Germany World Cup semifinal: I was very impressed by Spain. They played well, deserved to win, was strong and was better as a team and as individuals. I didn’t exchange shirts with anyone, because I was upset and went directly into the locker room.

On his summer: I spent my summer vacation in Mallorca with friends. I was very happy when I heard about the offer from Madrid, and I didn’t consider going to any other team.

On life in Real Madrid: we’re like a family, and I adapted very easily. They laugh a lot here, and I love it, this is what I love about Real Madrid. Everyone supports everyone else. It’s important for me to be able to speak Spanish, especially to my teammates. My friends here are Khedira, whom I’ve known for a long time. Pepe, Cristiano and the Argentines are always joking around, and we laugh a lot, including in Spanish, and the others laugh when I say something wrong, but I learn from it. In general, I laugh with everyone.

On life in Madrid: I take Spanish classes three times a week. The city is beautiful, you eat well here, and the people are very nice. I’ve seen a lot of things, although I like staying at home with my friends. When I have time, I take my girlfriend’s child to school, and his classmates ask me for autographs.

On his rap “career”: I taped an episode with a famous rap group in Germany, but I don’t have a good enough voice to sing.

On what his dream is: to stay healthy and spent lots of time with my family.

Favorites: City – Gelsenkirchen, Madrid. Food – menemen, a Turkish dish made with eggs and tomatoes. Drink – ice tea. Actor – Robert De Niro. Movie – The Hangover [jajajaja!!!] Singer: Michael Jackson, for both his songs and how he danced. Stadium – the Bernabéu.