Bellazon

Jose Mourinho
Thumbnail

madristar

Mourinho: Real need two more signings!

Jose Mourinho has revealed he is still seeking two more signings to compete for honours in Spain and Europe this season.

Mourinho has already signed Angel di Maria, Pedro Leon and Sami Khedira this summer but admits he needs more recruits at both ends of the pitch as he looks to bring silverware to Madrid.

"I think the club can still give me a defender but it's difficult to find quality players and youngsters with a lot of potential," he told Portuguese newspaper Record.

"As well as a defender I would like another striker. If another attacking player comes in, he will be more than welcome.

"For the centre of the attack I have Karim Benzema and Gonzalo Higuain, although Cristiano Ronaldo can also occupy that role. But I prefer for him to have more freedom to feel comfortable - he has too much talent to be limited to that position. That's why I would like to have someone else - let's see if it's possible."

Mourinho revealed he has been hugely impressed by Ronaldo's performances in pre-season training.

"I don't have many friends that are coaches, but Sir Alex Ferguson is one and when I spoke to him, he told me that the kid [Ronaldo], as he called him, had an incredible way of working. After seeing him, what I find impressive for a player with the status that he has is that nobody works harder," he said.

Madrid were largely dependent on the brilliance of Ronaldo last season but Mourinho hopes the responsibility will be more evenly shared through the team this term.

"I want to take that pressure off him. He can only improve if the team improves," he said.

"Last season, he was the one who carried the team a lot of the time and if in a given game, the rival created a good strategy to stop him, or the game wasn't going well for him, for whatever reason, the team suffered.

"That's negative for a player, however good he is. The team needs him and he works for the team, not alone."

Mourinho also believes Ronaldo can still improve. saying: "His physical condition is impressive. He is 25 and he still has time to improve.

"Technically he is amazing and tactically I am sure he will understand the game [better]."

The former Chelsea manager admits he has taken over at a delicate moment in Madrid's history.

"The club hasn't won anything for two years, hasn't won the Copa del Rey for 17 or 18 years, hasn't won the Champions League for 10, and has not got past the last 16 for several years," he said.

"That for most clubs would be normal, but for a giant club it's a difficult situation, almost a dramatic one."

Mourinho has previously stated his project will only be in full flow in his second season, but he believes he still needs to bring instant success to Madrid.

"I usually say that the second year brings more maturity, but I'm perfectly aware that Madrid's DNA demands a title in the first year," he said.

"In seven years (coaching), except when I left Chelsea in September or November, I have always won more than one trophy per year."

Mourinho: Real need another striker!

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho admits he needs to buy another striker for Real to challenge for the title.

After the departure of Raul for Schalke, Mourinho has only two out and out strikers, Gonzalo Higuain and Karim Benzema, at his disposal.

Although both Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo can pile in the goals from their advanced midfield positions, the Portuguese wants to add another weapon to his striking armoury.

In addition, Benzema has failed to fire so far at the Bernabeu and if that continues in the new season, Mourinho will be left with only one striker.

In comments reports by AS, he said: "Apart from signing a new defender, I also want to add another forward to the team. A new attacker would be very much welcome. I'd rather have one more forward than being short of options up front.

"I currently have Gonzalo Higuain and Karim Benzema for the striker position, while Cristiano Ronaldo could also play there. However, I prefer to give him a bit more freedom on the pitch. He's too talented to have him up front all the time."

Discussing two of his new signings, Pedro Leon and Angel Di Maria, Mourinho said: "Pedro Leon and Angel Di Maria are the type of players we didn't have yet in our squad.

"Madrid played very much through the centre of the pitch last season because of the absence of wingers. We now have two technically gifted wingers who can only get better over the coming years. They really add something to the team."

In addition to the above-mentioned players, Real have also signed Sami Khedira from Stuttgart and are continuously being linked with Maicon and Thiago Silva.

Mourinho is cold like a killer"

When it comes to dramatic descriptions of his adversaries, former Roma coach Luciano Spalletti takes the cake.

Spalletti managed Roma for four years from 2005 to 2009, during which time he locked horns with then Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho.

The two had an intense dislike for each other and that feeling was heightened by the fact that their teams were always jostling for the Scudetto. There is no doubt over who won that particular battle and for Spalleti, now coach of Russian side Zenit St Petersburg, the wounds still seem to be fresh.

In comments quoted by La Gazzetta dello Sport, he said: "The 'Special One' was too wise. He won everything, he said what he had to, he took us for a ride, won everything, earned what he needed to, said goodbye and joined Madrid.

"That's where his game will restart. He is cold like a killer. You cannot question him as a professional. But where do we put our feelings? I have always made choices with my heart, not my head, and I am proud."

Although the comments are meant to be critical, somehow one feels Mourinho will take them as a compliment.

Mourinho has no time for Kaka!

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourino has declared he has too much on his hands to waste time crying over Kaka's injury.

The Brazilian playmaker was ruled out for three to four months last week after it emerged he had incurred a meniscus injury in his left knee.

The tabloids started beating the doomsday drums as soon as the news was made public but Mourinho, in that typically flippant manner, told a press conference: "In reference to Kaka, all that matters is that the operation was a success. There are no more questions about his situation or his recovery.

"As the leader of a group, I cannot waste time crying over a player. I have other players counting on me. My philosophy doesn't allow me to have any doubts or to cry.

"I have no doubts regarding the quality of our medical staff. I will not speak about Kaka any further while he is out."

Moving on to the other high-profile player in the squad, Mourinho said:"Cristiano [Ronaldo] enjoys the physical workouts and I think he will be pleased with my training methods will make him happy. On the pitch, Cristiano is Cristiano and I am sure he will have a great season playing for me."

Mourinho then talked in some detail about the training methods employed by him.

"We work on everything," he said.

"We combine fitness work with psychological work. For example, we do a 10 on 6 drill and the six-man team begins with a 2-0 advantage. The other team then needs to turn the score around within ten minutes. That is how we combine fitness work with psychological work.

"Against America, when we were down 2-1, we turned to our attitude. Take Cristiano as another example. He was going to be subbed out in the 60th minute, but he asked me to stay in in order to win the match. That gives you an idea of this team's attitude."

"Real Madrid is a team that generates very high expectations. It is a one-of-a kind and it was named the best team of the 20th Century. I haven't been here very long, but I have already realized what this team is made of and I would like to be a part of the history of Real Madrid."

When asked if he was looking to sign anyone else, the Portuguese declared: "I have everything I need, so when someone wants to give me a gift, it must be very special. So if the president and his staff want to give me something, it must be very good. They have a month to think about it and buy it."

With the likes of Sami Khedira and Pedro Leon his newest signings, it is not surprising Mourinho is satisfied with the ammunition at his disposal as he guns for the La Liga title.

Mourinho pleased with Real pre-season

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has declared himself happy with pre-season preparations for the La Liga giants.

The manager revealed his lineup for los Merengue's pre-season friendly against Standard Liege as he tinkers to find his best side before the La Liga season begins.

"I cannot ask for more than what the team is giving me with the small amount of work we have done so far.

"I'm happy with my team. Obviously we are not yet a team tactically but the mentality is good. We are a team," he is quoted as saying by AS before announcing the starting team for the Liege friendly.

"[iker] Casillas, [Alvaro] Arbeloa, [Raul] Albiol, [sergio] Ramos, [Royston] Drenthe, [Fernando] Gago, Lass [Diarra], [Rafael] Van der Vaart, [Esteban] Granero, [Gonzalo] Higuain and [Karim] Benzema."

Villa: Mourinho real good for Madrid

Barcelona striker David Villa believes the arrival of Jose Mourinho as coach of Real Madrid is a good thing for the Galaticos.

Still fresh from the World Cup triumph with Spain, the 28-year-old was quoted by Record as saying that the Special One has 'great charisma and great quality' and ironically wished him well for the coming season.

"It will be good for Real Madrid but I cannot wish him all the luck in the world," Villa added.

The former Valencia forward has recently reported back to training after an extended holiday and may not be handed a starting place during Saturday's Spanish Super Cup first-leg encounter with Sevilla.

"The holiday has been good but when you start something new you want to get going as soon as possible," said the World Cup winner, according to Barcelona's official website.

"I don't know [if I will play on Saturday]. We've just come back from a very long journey. We're tired. We start training today and I don't make these decisions."

Ozil: Mourinho is why I joined Real

Mesut Ozil revealed that the main factor behind his move to Real Madrid was coach Jose Mourinho.

The Spanish giants announced the signing of the highly rated midfielder from Werder Bremen on Tuesday afternoon after finally convincing the Bundesliga club to let their star go for around 15 million euros.

Ozil had been hotly chased by top clubs such as Barcelona, Chelsea and Manchester United after rising to fame in the World Cup.

But it was Real Madrid who had the last laugh after finally securing his signature.

The 21-year-old is already looking forward his new career at the Bernabeu and thanked his former club for developing him into the player he is today.

"It is the next step in my career," the he told Germany Sky.

"I had wonderful years here [at Werder Bremen].

"The coach [Mourinho] wanted me. Real are a strong team but I need not be afraid."

Ozil will be officially unveiled as a Madrid player on Wednesday at the Bernabeu.