Bellazon

FIFA World Cup 2010

Jade**

who is going to watch it? i am. it start on June 11 is going to be in south africa. I think the first game is going to be south africa and mexico.

who do you guys think is going to win the world cup this year? and who do you want to win the world cup this year?

Nice thread! I can't wait, i not really into national football but the european league and WC i well up for! I guess the money has to be on a France V Brazil Final. England should get to the semis, but you never know with them lol

Not based on any sort of logic but I actually think England will win it this year. Capello is the most adaptable coach in the world, he'll play to England's strengths and bore the opposition into submission.

Spain certainly have the best squad at their disposal, but it's extremely difficult to win two major tournaments in succession. Perennial favourites like France, Argentina, Italy, Portugal and Brazil all had difficult qualifying campaigns, how they'll do is anybody's guess.

Not based on any sort of logic but I actually think England will win it this year. Capello is the most adaptable coach in the world, he'll play to England's strengths and bore the opposition into submission.

Come to think of it we have been pretty jammy with our group. Group G Seems the most competitive with Brazil and Portugal

Easily my least anticipated World Cup ever. My guess is that I'll soon get "the fever", enjoy the first batch of group games, then kinda shuffle my feet until it becomes a knock out competition. Have no idea what will happen, beyond the obvious inclusion in the semi-finals of a team previously dubbed "no hopers" by various pink shirt wearing ex-pros. Probably France or Germany, then.

Come to think of it we have been pretty jammy with our group. Group G Seems the most competitive with Brazil and Portugal

A very favourable group and no excuses about the temperature like at previous tournaments.

Easily my least anticipated World Cup ever. My guess is that I'll soon get "the fever", enjoy the first batch of group games, then kinda shuffle my feet until it becomes a knock out competition. Have no idea what will happen, beyond the obvious inclusion in the semi-finals of a team previously dubbed "no hopers" by various pink shirt wearing ex-pros. Probably France or Germany, then.

I do enjoy the shirts on show during international tournaments, especially when they accidentally co-ordinate into a theme. On the BBC's coverage last time out, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson and Martin O'Neill came dressed as Neapolitan ice cream. Happy memories!

A very favourable group and no excuses about the temperature like at previous tournaments.

that should never be an excuse imo :ninja: but yes your right

England need a good song, that always helps. If we get another "anthemic" Embrace song involving standing in a field in a zipped sweater then we're doomed from the get go. It goes without saying that nothing will ever top World in Motion but we can at least do better than something you'd expect to hear on hospital radio.

I was hoping for Spain but they seem to have picked up quite a bit of injuries to key players in the past few months.

Now it looks likely that Brazil will win, but they must be one of the least exciting Brazilian teams ever. The only player in their starting line-up that generates any genuine excitement is the always excellent Maicon. Kaka has been fairly dreadful for Real this season and I have no reason to believe it'll be different this Summer. This will not be your father's or grandfather's Brazil, but rather a very workman-like squad, but in this WC, it'll still be enough to take home the cup. There just aren't any other serious candidates besides the wounded Spanish.

Although it might be foolish of me to dismiss Germany's - the ultimate tournament team - chances.

Although it might be foolish of me to dismiss Germany's - the ultimate tournament team - chances.

Very true, altho it seems that the germans performance can fluctuate quite drastically! On many a occasion they have won matches thru pure luck, or the other side beating themselves up as opposed to to Germany going after the win. :ninja: Which is why even tho they got to the finals last time. The safe bet would to stay clear from them imo :whistle:

^I think we've lucked out too. Although, given our appalling qualifying fiasco, I'd maybe put a cheeky bet on S.Korea/Nigeria for Group B...

Still haven't got anything resembling a 'likely' squad - as Maradona keeps playing anybody and everybody in all recent games (he even played Ariel Ortega last time around :cain: - the guy's 36 and hasn't played regularly since 2004 because of protracted alcoholism). Maybe keep him occupied elsewhere, and let somebody else actually coach the team - and then I won't have to watch on in a morbid fascination that's usually restricted to sneaking a peek at car crashes. :ninja:

post-11221-0-1445995050-74511_thumb.png

England need a good song, that always helps. If we get another "anthemic" Embrace song involving standing in a field in a zipped sweater then we're doomed from the get go. It goes without saying that nothing will ever top World in Motion but we can at least do better than something you'd expect to hear on hospital radio.
^ :rofl:

I hate the idea of "official" anthems anyway - it smacks a bit of state-sponsored fun, and is but a hair-breadths away from all that shit Kim Jong-il gets up to...

^I think we've lucked out too. Although, given our appalling qualifying fiasco, I'd maybe put a cheeky bet on S.Korea/Nigeria for Group B...

Still haven't got anything resembling a 'likely' squad - as Maradona keeps playing anybody and everybody in all recent games (he even played Ariel Ortega last time around :cain: - the guy's 36 and hasn't played regularly since 2004 because of protracted alcoholism). Maybe keep him occupied elsewhere, and let somebody else actually coach the team - and then I won't have to watch on in a morbid fascination that's usually restricted to sneaking a peek at car crashes. :ninja:

post-5116-0-1445995054-22701_thumb.png

oh please Baron!, Come on you and I both know you will get your act together when it comes down to the "crunch" you always do!

oh please Baron!, Come on you and I both know you will get your act together when it comes down to the "crunch" you always do!
^Tell that to the 2002 team! Honestly, after that last game with Nigeria, the city was awash with people smashing windows and throwing burning mattresses around. Not good! :no:

That said, after out thrilling 6-0 destruction of Slovenia last time around exactly the same thing happened! We Porteños have a fairly limited emotional range...

Spain to win please. But I doubt it... Apart from that I think Brasil and England are the next set of favourites actually. I think England might even have a chance of getting past the quarters this time :o Germany and Italy to be the others to have a good run as they always show up. Please let France wither and die in the first round. Domenech must die!!! Methinks Argentina can do well if they just settle on a starting XI. They are the dark horses, despite their woeful qualification campaign.

...I'm just naming heavyweights aren't I? :ninja:

Argentina can make it if they can find a reliable creator to play in midfield and play through Messi the way Barça does.
^Come back Riquelme... :/

I'm also continually amazed by our "beloved" coach's refusal to play Cambiasso. I know he's more a defensive midfielder - but he's 10 times the player than all those Boca fools Maradona keeps playing (in blatant 'nepotism')... <_<