Bellazon

Nastassia Lindes
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

Staz Lindes on Punk Rock, Santa Monica and Keeping It Real | Behind-the-Scenes Images and Q&A

on October 5, 2015

source

3bb42e440282820.jpg 962618440282828.jpg b52d07440282836.jpg 521881440282842.jpg 690b28440282849.jpg a00df0440282852.jpg e3f0d0440282858.jpg fdc36c440282864.jpg aaf086440282874.jpg

Images by Carmen Daneshmandi

Staz Lindes is one of the hottest models in the game and recently did some work for us–and we love how it turned out. But there are several layers to Lindes.

Below, scope behind-these-scenes images from Staz’s shoot photographed by our homie Carmen Daneshmandi, which, in our opinion, deserve a wing in an art museum. At least a passageway.

Interspersed therein: our Q&A with Lindes about her experience modeling for Nordstrom, what her punk rock band, the Paranoyds, is up to (she sings and plays bass)–and her musical and real-talk-laden journey through life.

Nordstrom blogs: What do you remember about the shoot?

Staz Lindes: Um, probably how awesome everyone was. And how everyone knew what they wanted. It was such an easy crowd to work with. I loved the makeup, loved the hair, loved the combined collaboration. I just really liked the vibe.

Since your dad played bass in the band, what’s the best Dire Straits song?

I actually couldn’t tell you that. I have never really listened to them. I’ve watched videos of my dad doing the classic songs, but I’m not a big Dire Straits fan, unfortunately.

He didn’t force you to listen to how awesome he was?

He’s quite shy about it, really. That would be weird, right? Anyone’s dad who’s like: You have to watch this.

I feel like dads who were once high-school quarterbacks tend to bring out the varsity jacket.

Well, I’ve seen his guitars. I’ve seen the cool stuff that means he used to be in a band. But he never shoved an album down my throat. Which was cool of him.

How about a band I know you like: What’s your favorite Shannon & the Clams song?

Hard question. I like “Sleep Talk” a lot, but I really like the whole album.

What’s the last concert you saw?

Well, I played yesterday. The Paranoyds played yesterday. The day before that, my brother’s band played, Sad Girl. They played with another band I had never seen: Rexx. It was a festival, and there were a few other bands playing but I didn’t see them. I think festivals are kind of the worst way to see bands you actually want to see. At this one, it was too hot, too crowded, people weren’t paying attention to the music and the security guys were mean.

It’s weird when you’re at a concert and you realize the music is the last thing on some people’s minds.

This was an all-ages thing, and it was like the kids were there so they wouldn’t have to go to the mall. So they had somewhere else to hang out. It was funny. It felt like prom, though, because security were so mean for no reason. But yeah, festivals. The sound is always bad. For the most part, if you are really stoked to see a band, festivals are not the best option. I just did this road trip from New York to L.A. and stopped at all the big music studios on the way. I went to Chess, Stax, Sun Records. The whole industry is definitely people cashing in on a craze and trying to exploit it. Some people are in it for the music, but it’s mostly not about that.

What’s the story of the Paranoyds?

We’ve been playing together since high school, and it’s only in the last year that we’ve been playing shows–shows that weren’t in our laundry room or bedroom. I don’t want to put a difference between girls and boys, but there’s a lot of girl bands who just stand there. There’s a lot of guy bands like that, too. But the stuff that made me want to start singing was No Doubt and Bikini Kill, stuff where the girls are not caring about being pretty. Obviously Gwen Stefani changed that later on. But our thing is we don’t want to be cute. We’re playing because we love playing. We get sweaty and gross. It’s about having fun. And it is fun.

Nordstrom is headquartered in Seattle. You should play a show here.

That would be rad, a coastal tour.

You should play with La Luz. Do you know that band?

I love La Luz! I went to high school with the bassist.

Lena Simon?

Yeah. Santa Monica High School.

Do you think the West Coast is the best coast?

Yeah. I travel a lot but feel like L.A. is the best place.

Can you remember what you were listening to in elementary school?

Obsessed with No Doubt. And I got into Motown and oldies.

What about in junior high?

Super into Nirvana. Unhealthy. My room was lined with anything Nirvana-related, like wallpaper. That’s when I got super into punk music.

And in high school?

I decided punk wasn’t cool anymore, because it got scene-y and nobody knew what to do and it got emo, or whatever. I got back into oldies. Hank Williams. Bob Dylan. Folk. Blues. And I was really into Bright Eyes. I don’t like to talk about that, but in 9th grade I was pretty gross about it. Once you get into something like oldies music, like doo-wop or soul, it’s hard to get out of it, because it doesn’t get old. Once you listen to what real music was, how it felt, it’s hard to get into anything else. I’ve been trying to get into the ‘80s. I’ve been super into Devo this year. Been trying to listen to more ‘80s post-punk. Power pop. Synth stuff. I’ve been buying a lot of compilations. Not so much fixating on one band.

How are you managing songwriting with your modeling career?

I carry a lyric book and have since I was eight. I’ve had really bad writer’s block since I moved to New York, though. I’m a really social person and I’m hanging out all the time. It’s a buzzy energy and it’s hard to focus.

How do you feel about modeling? What’s your general feeling about the fashion industry?

I think the thing with life is that everything good has evilness to it. There’s a lot of that in fashion and it’s obvious. I get anonymous comments on tumblr that are really hateful, and it does feel bad a lot. I’m so not a judgmental person. I’d probably judge the band T-shirt you’re wearing over your appearance. It’s hard to explain and it might be hypocritical, but when you create an image with a group of people and it’s cool, and you work together, it’s art. You have a vision and you create. That side of the industry is awesome. I love creating. Becoming new characters. The travel is amazing. The money helps me buy more broken guitars. It’s a tricky question for me because I wasn’t one of those northside Santa Monica girls getting designer clothes for Christmas. I was shopping at Ross. I’m realer than that. Too real, maybe. I try and keep my dignity. There was a long period where I was saying no to a lot of brands, even though it was for a lot of money. I won’t do shoots for alcohol or cigarettes. People want me to smoke in photographs. I’m not trying to make that look cool for anyone.

Walking for Saint Laurent S/S 16 in Paris! :woot:

2 Looks!

24218517_2073209.jpg 24218518_6573175.jpg

More:

tumblr_nvs0uyVZdl1qfdi4co1_1280.jpg th_94003d440664534.jpg/monthly_10_2015/post-52584-0-1593839029-62279_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="tumblr_nvt5vsydqM1ug3sxco1_1280.jpg"> 018ss16-saint-laurent-tc-10315.jpg 042ss16-saint-laurent-tc-10315.jpg         th_8863fe440664590.jpg/monthly_10_2015/post-52584-0-1593839029-90107_thumb.jpg" class="ipsImage ipsImage_thumbnailed" alt="12142655_1632164017041288_1274132052_n.jpg"> newmodel.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Model & Super Star: Meet Staz
by Sportsgirl, Friday 18 Sep 2015
145341445115796.jpg 3afb43445115822.jpg 1ab584445115852.jpg d61d60445115873.jpg

Star of our latest windows, Staz joined us for a chat around the lunch table at shoot, and dished us her super cool creative influences. From females in rock and roll to life between NY and San Fran, we’ve got a read and a custom playlist to make you want her as your BFF (we know we do).

What was the last thing you bought?
Pink polkadot vintage dress.

What are your favourite picks from shoot today?
The suede skirt has a cool cowgirl look, and the western style denim dress too. Cute shoes BTW!

What three things do you always pack to travel?
A book, toothbrush and my stuffed koala Cornelius. It was won by a random couple who were winning at some weird London arcade, and they gave it to me.

What’s on your reading list right now?
I’ve just finished some awesome music bios including Nico: Songs They Never Play On The Radio by James Young and Viv Albertine’s Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.

What’s your dream alternate life to modelling?
I’d work in a record store, learn to sew at community college and live in a cool city.

Who in your world is ruling at life?
My brother who is always hustling hard for his goals in music, and screen printing by day.

What are you doing tonight?

Seeing some girl bands in Fitzroy at Old Bar.

We hear you’ve got a band...
I play bass in a band called The Paranoids. We started playing together in San Fransisco in July. Just a band of best friends from highschool playing rock and roll for fun. We don’t have any recordings yet because I always fly away!

Who are some of your musical idols?
Kurt Cobain, George Harrison, Bowie, Keith Richards, John Doe, Brian Jones, James Brown, Elvis, Otis Redding, Etta James.

The best advice you’ve been given?
The cheesy yearbook statement, “be yourself, don’t ever change”.

Model Staz Lindes Doesn't Have a Message for Her 58,000 Instagram Followers...and That's Okay
Nov 6, 2015
source
f03c77445329510.jpg be796a445329516.jpg de36b2445329524.jpg 8e1e1b445329528.jpg 3ec2c3445329532.jpg

Rag & Bone's newest face on music, moisturizer, and the pressure to be political.

Staz Lindes is a perfect picture of today's Cool Girl: a model-musician-photographer with California-bred insouciance and '90s style adored by 58,000 doting followers on Instagram. The 22-year-old was discovered in a bowling alley and has been modeling since she was 14, most recently walking Saint Laurent's spring 2016 runway show. Lindes has also played music for 10 years (it runs in her family—​her dad, Hal Lindes, was a guitarist for British rock band Dire Straits) and is part of the all-girl band the Paranoyds. The rising star caught the attention of Rag & Bone, which had her take the reins on the brand's latest frills-free D.I.Y. project, previously done by fellow It models Emily Ratajkowski, Miranda Kerr, and Jourdan Dunn. Here, she shares exclusive photos from her shoot, photographed by pal Tom Mitchell, and talks about what's on her playlist, how to get her signature pout, and her take on the current conversation surrounding social media and authenticity.

You took your photos in London—​any significance in the places you chose?
A couple months ago in the summer, a good friend of mine took me to that bowling alley. On paper it's my dream: bowling, pizza dinner, dance floor, and karaoke all in one!

How has growing up in California inspired your style?
California thrift stores and vintage stores are more accessible than somewhere like New York or somewhere where all the op shops are just old mall brands being donated. [i'm] able to drive all over L.A. on the weekends and come home with bags of stuff, real amazing rare vintage stuff, plus we barely have to wear warm outerwear. That obviously affects [my style] immensely. ​The only present [style] influence would be from my friends. Besides that, it's all quite old and dated, but a lot of style never goes bad to me.​

You've said you took up music because you wanted to be challenged. How so?
Oh man, when I am handed a hard song or bass line or guitar part to play and I can practice and practice it until I nail it, nothing feels better. I believe if I tried hard enough I could probably play whatever I wanted. My favorite is when someone hands me a song and says, "Here, learn this bass part," and I can get it down in under a half-hour. I love all the challenges of music so much. Music holds tangible truth in whether you are getting better or how strong your skills are.

What's currently on your playlist?
Sylvie Vartan, Sad Girl, Walter, Wild Wing, Lee Hazlewood, Elvis, The Cramps, and The Miracles.

How does being a photographer influence your modeling?
I know what I like in a picture and I'll try to imagine myself on the other side of the camera when I'm posing. I try to foresee the result as I'm being photographed.​

You have a really minimalist beauty look–what are your go-to beauty products (especially for lips!)?
My daily is just moisturizer, eyelash curler, mascara, and maybe some of this Bobbi Brown cream liner called Suede. Lips are my trickiest! As for moisturizing, I've pretty much given up on all lip products and just use face moisturizer for my lips. The Glossier lip stuff is actually pretty nice as well. I'm not afraid of getting a lipstick from a drugstore; I quite like liquid lipsticks that are matte–even though they aren't the kindest to my lips. NARS obviously has a strong lipstick line and I'm also into Hourglass.

Social media and the pressures it can cause has been in the news a lot this week. How do you approach posting photos on Instagram, knowing you have a lot of followers?
I try to ignore that a large number of accounts follow me, because who knows how many are actually active/aren't robots? I know a lot are young kids. I don't really know, man. I'm just doing my thing, I don't have much of a message to send and maybe that's a problem. I still don't really know how I feel about it all.
Sometimes I wish I took more of a political stance on my Instagram but I kind of wouldn't know where to start; talk to me in person and I will share with you everything I believe in and disagree with. My account is purely for fun, for friends close or distant, to see what I'm up to if they want to. I travel a lot and I want people to know I'm surviving just fine!

California-raised model, musician and social media standout Staz Lindes stars in the D.I.Y. Project.

Staz shot her images during a break in London, where she was born and returns to often.

She wore the Leeds Dress, the 10 Inch Skinny, the State Jacket, the Corinne Sweater, the Chrystie Jacket and the Tomboy in Pinstripe, among others.

diy-staz-lindes-1.jpg diy-staz-lindes-2.jpg diy-staz-lindes-3.jpg diy-staz-lindes-4.jpg diy-staz-lindes-6.jpg diy-staz-lindes-7.jpg diy-staz-lindes-8.jpg diy-staz-lindes-9.jpg diy-staz-lindes-10.jpg diy-staz-lindes-11.jpg diy-staz-lindes-13.jpg diy-staz-lindes-14.jpg diy-staz-lindes-15.jpg diy-staz-lindes-16.jpg diy-staz-lindes-17.jpg diy-staz-lindes-18.jpg