Bellazon

Nastassia Lindes
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

This is an older article from Venus Zine but it hasn't been posted.

Reader of the Week: Nastassia Lindes

Model, musician, and muse

By Kirsten Kilponen

Published: June 15th, 2009 | 12:00am

If this week’s Reader of the Week looks suspiciously familiar to you, it’s probably because her unique look has attached itself to your brain after you viewed the recent online, VZ fashion story “The Fairest of the Seasons”. Nastassia Lindes exudes a certain somethin’ that makes you just know that there has to be more to her than just a pretty face. Well, my friend, that inkling is right. Not only is she VZ’s fav muse, she’s a talented musician, too. She can play the guitar, bass, ukulele, melodica, baby accordian, and the cello. Read on to discover what else makes this California gal so great as she share’s her story about getting “discovered”, what she hates most about the music biz, and what she would do if a magic genie granted her three wishes. Oh yeah, did we also mention she can tap dance, and that she’s only seventeen?

Have you always lived in California?

I was born in London and have been going back and forth from there and Santa Monica, CA since.

How did you get into music, and what instruments do you play?

My father was the guitarist in the band the Dire Straits for a few years and is currently a composer for TV shows and movies, so I strongly believe it's in my blood. I started playing cello when I was 10. I started playing bass guitar at 11, then guitar at 12. I can pretty much pick up any instrument and with enough time figure it out and be able to play a few songs. The instruments I have in my room currently are guitar, bass guitar, ukulele, melodica, baby accordion, auto harp, and tambourine! All self-taught — besides the cello.

How did you get into modeling? How’d you get discovered?

When I was 14 I started doing hair-modeling shows for Vidal Sassoon. This consisted of very ugly haircuts and low paying jobs, but it paid. When I was 15, Francine Champagne, the head manager of Vision models, discovered me in a bowling alley. I had bright pink hair at the time. I had a few meetings with them, dyed my hair brown and had a test shoot. But I never signed with them and kind of just stopped keeping in touch with them. Josh Kline scouted me for Elite at the Fairfax flea market and he set up meetings with Elite, and I eventually signed in April 2008.

Who influences you the most when it comes to music and fashion?

For music, the people I love have the greatest influence on me for writing. My music taste is kind of all over the place so I'm not really strongly influenced by any particular music style. I've been compared to Mirah a lot, Cocorosie, and Regina Spektor. I'm extremely flattered by all comparisons. For fashion, I watch old movies. My favorite decades of style are the ‘40s through to the ‘60s. I've vintage shopped since I was 8 so I've always leaned towards an older style then the ones today.

What do you like the least about the music biz and the modeling industry?

I hate how it's all about the money and not about the music or the art. I wish bands wouldn't charge so much for shows and merchandise and would just play because they want to. I hate that the fashion industry uses real fur!

Where do you like to eat, have fun, and people watch in California?

I love In-N-Out, Cafe 50's, and Rae’s Diner in Santa Monica. I have fun almost anywhere. Whether it [is] at a gig, an art show, a movie, or just hanging at a friend's house.

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grow up?

I wanted to be a hairdresser or an actress.

Is there anything we can't tell about you just by looking at you? Any hidden talents?

I can tap dance!

What's your favorite food, color, and movie?

I love cheese, especially with Mexican food and Italian food, my favorite color is green or yellow, and favorite movie is It's A Wonderful Life.

If a genie could grant you three wishes, what would they be?

1. Never to regret.

2. To live in the decade I want to live in for a certain amount of time.

3. To save my last wish for some time when I'm older.

Where do you see yourself in a couple years?

I can't really say where I see myself in a couple of years. I could be anywhere, doing anything. What I can hope for is I won't be in Los Angeles anymore. I'd love to move to San Francisco, but I'd also love to travel.

Any last words for our readers?

Don't forget to floss!